Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #29

The OP also was a great example of how to come to a public forum and act in a way that will likely make sure no one will help him if he shows up again.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
The OP also was a great example of how to come to a public forum and act in a way that will likely make sure no one will help him if he shows up again.
Let's give a newbie the benefit of the doubt. I hope he will return and add more information to his initial post.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post

Maybe he actually thought he would get help instead of people trying to impress with their degrees and where they worked. Apparently everyone on here knew EVERYTHING when they first started out. It was his first, and probably last post on here.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post

Maybe he actually thought he would get help instead of people trying to impress with their degrees and where they worked. Apparently everyone on here knew EVERYTHING when they first started out. It was his first, and probably last post on here.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Wow, what a thread.........
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, I really should apologize in my part of all this. I have to get really annoyed to mention working for NASA. It actually was the least favorite job I have had. After I returned home from overseas I worked in maintenance at a chicken processing plant for a while. It was fun and I designed some Programmable logic computer operations to get them away from their manual modes. It was fun and non stress work but it just does not sound impressive to say you worked for a chicken plant. I noticed the original poster did not come back. I am not sure whether that was because they got the information they wanted or they got scared off by the non topic posturing that I at least was doing. The other poster George seemed to learn something new from his comments. I also learned that units that provide AC from batteries and also use shore or generator power to charge batteries should be properly replied to as inverter/chargers. No one is too old to learn or make the effort to correct bad habbits. Once again for my part in this I apologize.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Ok folks, let's knock off discussing each other and stay on topic. Thanks!

I am sorry what is the topic? As someone else has already said the OP has probably already left this discussion.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Kudos to anyone who will take responsibility for their actions and appologize for their actions.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #36

hi, we have a 2006 holiday rambler endeavor. Our surge protector was not making a good connection at the power receptacle. I called a rv tech and he got it working right again, however while he was out there he said he reset our inverter. We left the park and went to a new location, when we got there our batteries were too dead to put our our electric or door awning. I went out to the inverter and on the right side is a button. I pushed it in and a green light went on, voila, the tech must have turned off our inverter. No problem anymore. Sometimes people are more hinderance than help.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #37

Hi, sorry for the tardy response I was on vacation. My coach is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavour, my inverter is a Magnum ME2012. Please let me know what more info I can provide and thank you all thus far for the input.
Frisbie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok lets see if we can give you some pertinent advice

1. There was some advice postings earlier have you tried any of that. Here is the manual for your inverter http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0002%20Rev%20A%20(ME%20Series).pdf

Operation starts on page 45 page 48 tells how to reset the unit in the rare event you have to do that.

My advice is going to be first download and keep a copy of the manual. It will be something that will come in handy in the future. Second of all make sure the power switch is on see page 45. There is a notation in there to turn it on after you change batteries and I noticed in your original post that you mentioned you had new batteries. The unit appears to charge the batteries while it is off ( in what they call standby mode) and will not perform the inverter function until you turn on the on switch. Try that and the reset and if they do not work and you need help with the troubleshooting section post again and we can try to help you. If you do find it please post what it was so others can have it for future reference.

In a foot note. I did notice in your manual that it shows you have a transformer and rectifier circuit to make DC not a switchable power supply at least according to the diagram on page 46. One of the earlier posters felt that most companies have started using switchable power supplies instead of transformers and bridge rectifiers. Evidently magnum still uses them and If I had to guess and it would be a guess is because it is cheaper and possibly the transformer and bridge rectifier is more reliable at the higher currents involved but I do not know enough about switchable power supplies to know if my guess is reasonable. Good luck with your troubleshooting and let us know what you find.

I had a problem with an inverter a couple of months ago. I did a quick troubleshooting check and decided the inverter was bad. I took it to the shop to get it fixed under warranty and they found out I had a broken wire going to an outlet the dealership had put in to plug the chassis battery charger into. Since the outlet was not put in by the factory the warranty did not pay for the repair. The repair shop took the outlet out. Used two wire nuts to connect the wires and charged me 350.00. A little bit more troubleshooting on my part would have saved me some money. If turning it on or resetting it does not fix it then hopefully we can help you at least make sure that it is not a simple broken wire.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
In a foot note. I did notice in your manual that it shows you have a transformer and rectifier circuit to make DC not a switchable power supply at least according to the diagram on page 46. One of the earlier posters felt that most companies have started using switchable power supplies instead of transformers and bridge rectifiers. Evidently magnum still uses them and If I had to guess and it would be a guess is because it is cheaper and possibly the transformer and bridge rectifier is more reliable at the higher currents involved but I do not know enough about switchable power supplies to know if my guess is reasonable. Good luck with your troubleshooting and let us know what you find
I'm sure this little tidbit of misinformation was directed at me as a result of our previous ridiculous discussion. The term is "switch mode power supply" NOT "switchable power supply", (whatever that may be).

Switch mode supplies do have power transformers as rectifiers, but they also have sophisticated inverter, clipper, switcher and filtering stages that are included in that little box you chose to ignore, labeled F.E.T Bridge. Thus, the term "Switch Mode". I assure you, the Magnum ME series has a very modern and reliable SMPS as the heart of their charger.

That basic diagram you referred to, depicts nothing about the actual design, complexity and versatility of the multistage battery charger in the Magnum ME Inverter/charger. It was purposely kept simple to avoid confusing the less technical among us.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW !! now we all know who has a BIGGER puffed up chest !!
Nothing like a bunch of old guys remembering what they used to know.

Just the other day I was explaining to my grandson about boulean algebra and the computers I help develope on which Bell Labs created UNIX. but that was 1968 and a lot has changed . LOL

thanks for the long explanation of how I charge my batteries.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
WOW !! now we all know who has a BIGGER puffed up chest !!
Nothing like a bunch of old guys remembering what they used to know.

Just the other day I was explaining to my grandson about boulean algebra and the computers I help develope on which Bell Labs created UNIX. but that was 1968 and a lot has changed . LOL

thanks for the long explanation of how I charge my batteries.
You hit the nail right on the head "old guys remembering what they used to know", at least one of them apologized for getting "wrapped around the axle"

I'm a maintenance type and at one point worked for an Electrical Engineer. I gave him a bumper sticker for his car, but he refused to put it on his bumper:

THERE COMES A TIME IN EVERY PROJECT WHERE YOU HAVE TO SHOOT THE ENGINEER AND START PRODUCTION!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #42

I have a Magnum Device that does the work of a converter and a inverter. It will charge my batteries at up to 100a and provide 2000W of msw AC power.
When someone asks what I have I call it a converter/inverter combination in one unit. Is that a proper description? It seems to be a fine unit and on the AC side there is nothing in our coach that it won't run.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter