Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
We're finally getting some intelligent response. If you're not interested, then unsubscribe from this thread rather than throwing your weight around and trying to control our lives. By the way, I will have to consult the dictionary to learn the meaning of your great big word. How impressive,hahaha

obˇstrepˇerˇous
əbˈstrepərəs,äb-/
adjective
adjective: obstreperous
noisy and difficult to control.
"the boy is cocky and obstreperous"
synonyms:unruly, unmanageable, disorderly, undisciplined, uncontrollable, rowdy, disruptive, truculent, difficult, refractory, rebellious, mutinous, riotous, out of control, wild, turbulent, uproarious, boisterous; noisy, loud, clamorous, raucous, vociferous;
informalrambunctious

Definition of obstreperous (adj)

Bing Dictionary
  • obˇstrepˇerˇous
  • [ ob stréppərəss ]

1. noisy: noisily and aggressively boisterous
That seemed to fit what this thread has become. Your post was a good example of what I was talking about. There are a lot more responses about other people than there are responses to answering the question the Poster asked. We are at a point where the advice people are offering is to msg them privately if you want help. If you want to talk about good information. When the original poster listed his inverter and model number a link to the manual for his unit was posted along with some suggestions the manual listed and the page number in the manual to look for them.
I for one was waiting to see if the OP tried those suggestions and either fixed their problem or needed additional help. The OP has not replied for a couple of days and as I said earlier lots of the comments on here have become obstreperous rather than informative.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #72

Converter/Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Loulong,

I bet many, if not most, MH owners refer to their inverter/charger as an inverter. I suppose it could be because most Class A MHs come with inverter chargers.

Anyway, good luck having those change their syntax.
I too thought the Inverter and Converter were two different animals, then I
found this at Inverter Charger, RV Inverter Charger | Power Products | Xantrex

Inverter/Chargers
A Xantrex inverter/charger is a combination of an inverter, battery charger and transfer switch into one complete system. When AC power is available, the inverter/charger recharges the house batteries. It also allows any surplus AC power to pass through and power downstream AC loads, such as a television set or microwave oven. When AC power is disconnected, the unit inverts DC battery power into AC electricity.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Cheap entertainment!
Really cheap
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmezzan View Post
I too thought the Inverter and Converter were two different animals, then I
found this at Inverter Charger, RV Inverter Charger | Power Products | Xantrex

Inverter/Chargers
A Xantrex inverter/charger is a combination of an inverter, battery charger and transfer switch into one complete system. When AC power is available, the inverter/charger recharges the house batteries. It also allows any surplus AC power to pass through and power downstream AC loads, such as a television set or microwave oven. When AC power is disconnected, the unit inverts DC battery power into AC electricity.
Purely semantics and sales jargon. Nothing new in your post.

The inverter section does not produce 12V to charge or run the RV, nor does the converter section produce 120V to operate the house needs. The two units are housed within one case and called an Inverter/Charger. The transfer switch simply provides an ac passthru path and makes switching between the unit functions automatic and seamless.

You can purchase standalone inverters, standalone converters (chargers) or you can purchase Inverter/chargers, which are two functions in the same box.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #75

Yeah but did you know you can save 15 percent or more on your car insurance?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you happy now that you scared the original poster off? I hope he got someone to help him out. How about offering to help without all of the "I'm smarter than you are"?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #77

Hi All... we have tried all of these suggestions and have not yet found the issue. Dan-Nickle I totally agree with you as to how this should work.... the issue at hand is the batteries are new, the power is plugged in but the batteries continue to go dead after a couple of days, while plugged into shore power. Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbie99 View Post
Hi All... we have tried all of these suggestions and have not yet found the issue. Dan-Nickle I totally agree with you as to how this should work.... the issue at hand is the batteries are new, the power is plugged in but the batteries continue to go dead after a couple of days, while plugged into shore power. Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Let's start over.
-- Does your inverter work? Are you getting power to the things that are supposed to be powered by the inverter?
-- If yes, then everything is good between the house battery bank and the inverter/charger.
-- Do you have AC power going to the inverter/charger? I believe you can see this on the remote panel for the inverter/charger?
-- If no, check the breaker going to the inverter/charger? It should be in the main breaker panel.
-- If yes, then check the charge current and DC voltage on the remote panel. The voltage should be 13.5V or greater.

Let's start here and work from your findings. Feel free to private message me.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ImagineIf

good start I had a question Frisbee mentions that his batteries keep going dead. In order to keep going dead they have to charge at some point. Is he charging them with an external battery charger. Or is the starting the motor and letting the alternator charge them or is his Magnum system charging them and then they go dead ?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #80
Old Bounders

Frisbie99,
Are you sure someone didn't blow the large fuse between the Inverter/charger and the batteries when they replaced them?

When you unplug, do you measure battery voltage on the DC connection to the I/C?

You need to tell us how you are currently recharging your batteries, if the charger portion of the I/C is not doing the job.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
ImagineIf

good start I had a question Frisbee mentions that his batteries keep going dead. In order to keep going dead they have to charge at some point. Is he charging them with an external battery charger. Or is the starting the motor and letting the alternator charge them or is his Magnum system charging them and then they go dead ?
I'd guess he's getting them charged by the engine alternator. I don't want to suggest that though at this point. I'd like to just use some logic based troubleshooting to determine where the problem is. At this point, there have been too many guesses and too many distractions. Not knowing the OP's electrical knowledge, I also don't want to dive into too much technical or testing depth.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #82

Wife and I were window shopping at a RV show in the parking lot of the Vegas Bass Pro. Lots of stuff had fun peaking at the prices. Eventually a salesman came up exuding the wonderful attributes of the $200,000+ rig we were in. I asked him how large the inverter was, he replied that he did not know what and inverter was, it was 1000 watt. At least that's what the manufacturers tag said.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #83

Forest, I don't you, but find it amazing a $200K RV doesn't have more inverter capacity. As for the salesman, some don't know their product and some are part time fill Ind for parking lot sales. I'm not making excuses for this as it shouldn't be the case ever.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbie99 View Post
Frisbee, I just related the same problem and have gone with the fact that my Magnum doesn't charge the house batteries. I put a 110 receptacle in the battery bay and leave a trickle charger plugged in always.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter