Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Inverter Question

Hi,
My inverter is charging but when I unplug it doesn't invert. I have brand new coach batteries and they keep going dead. I have searched high and low to determine the issue, but I find nothing, any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbie99 View Post
Hi,
My inverter is charging but when I unplug it doesn't invert. I have brand new coach batteries and they keep going dead. I have searched high and low to determine the issue, but I find nothing, any thoughts?
I am sorry for your problem and do not mean to pick. However I think an inverter takes 12v from your house batteries and changes to 120v for your TV, etc. I don't think it "charges anything". The converter takes shore (or gererator) 120v and converts it to 12v to charge the house batteries. You might check the voltage on your batteries and then plug in the shore power and see if it charges the batteries.

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Modern inverters can do both so let's not rule out the OPs problem just yet.

To the OP - how about giving us the make, model, and year of your motorhome and the make/model of your inverter. Also, is your inverter turned on?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many inverters and make and model will help use to help you.

On mine (Xantrex Prosine 2.0) there are many options.. ONE of those is a toggle on the remote panel that disables the inverter (Another one disables the charger by the way)

Yet another option, this one accessed via menus from the remote, turns on (or off) and sets teh level for something called "Load Sense"

By default it's set to 100 watts,, plug in 50 watts of load and .. it won't work if that is set to ON.. Plug in a 100 watt floor lamp, it comes on.

I have it set to OFF since.. Well, that's a lot of watts.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Modern inverters can do both so let's not rule out the OPs problem just yet.

To the OP - how about giving us the make, model, and year of your motorhome and the make/model of your inverter. Also, is your inverter turned on?
Ha ha, my mistake....I am just an old guy with an old motorhome....
Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Ha ha, my mistake....I am just an old guy with an old motorhome....

George it is an easy mistake to make if you have not seen one. Several of the bigger inverters like 2000 and 3000 watt in the higher end price range not only invert they are very complex battery chargers. They can do high level charge then lower to a normal charge then finally go to a sustainer charge depending on how low the batteries are. But the other poster was right the OP has not told us what type of inverter he has.

wa8yxm is right on some inverters with remote control there is a button that will turn the inverter off. The OP problem might be something as simple as the inverter is turned off.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
George it is an easy mistake to make if you have not seen one. Several of the bigger inverters like 2000 and 3000 watt in the higher end price range not only invert they are very complex battery chargers. They can do high level charge then lower to a normal charge then finally go to a sustainer charge depending on how low the batteries are. But the other poster was right the OP has not told us what type of inverter he has.

wa8yxm is right on some inverters with remote control there is a button that will turn the inverter off. The OP problem might be something as simple as the inverter is turned off.
Oh, thanks. I did not know this. Hey, I learn something everyday on this site. I have been thinking/shopping for a DP....I don't need it, but at 81 years old and motorhomes not allowed in heaven, I may buy one... Problem is my '99 Bounder runs great, no slides, basic MH and we love it. I don't deal well with poor/no QC on expensive units. With 29 years in the Air Force, QC was first in our aircraft business. Anyway, I sure enjoy reading the posts and feel badly when folks have bad experieces that don't need to happen with a little care from manufactures.... End of rant.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Oh, thanks. I did not know this. Hey, I learn something everyday on this site. I have been thinking/shopping for a DP....I don't need it, but at 81 years old and motorhomes not allowed in heaven, I may buy one... Problem is my '99 Bounder runs great, no slides, basic MH and we love it. I don't deal well with poor/no QC on expensive units. With 29 years in the Air Force, QC was first in our aircraft business. Anyway, I sure enjoy reading the posts and feel badly when folks have bad experieces that don't need to happen with a little care from manufactures.... End of rant.
I love my DP I have a 2005 allegro bus 38ft with two slides. A year after I bought it my dealer had a 2007 allegro bus 42 foot with 4 slides. I looked at it and loved it. We discussed price and they wanted my bus in trade and 100,000 more. I loved the 2007 I did not love it that much. If you like your bounder you might need to look at a DP and see if you love it enough to pay the difference. PLus you might want to read some of the posts and see where people talk about the maintenance costs of a DP and compare to what you spend on your bounder. If you decide to go to a DP look at some of the owners forums and see what kind of experiences they have had and let that help you with your decision.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi,
Frisbie99
That's like asking "What size tires do I need"?... (or "How high is up")?
More information about your coach and inverter/charger is needed for anyone to help you with more than a guess!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

Gemini362, you need to apologize to George for the misinformation you have been feeding him. Modern inverters DO NOT charge the batteries or anything else.
  • An inverter, inverts DC voltage into AC voltage, PERIOD.
  • A converter (charger) converts AC voltage to DC voltage, PERIOD
The OP obviously has an Inverter/Charger (a unit advertised and sold as sn Inverter/Charger) witch is NOT simply an inverter, or simply a converter. As the name might imply, it is a unit that incorporates both an inverter and a charger. They obviously share some of the same circuitry, but they operate pretty much independently.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Loulong,

I bet many, if not most, MH owners refer to their inverter/charger as an inverter. I suppose it could be because most Class A MHs come with inverter chargers.

Anyway, good luck having those change their syntax.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi,
Their are several things that will cause that. Leaving the inverter turned on, powering 120VAC outlets when unneeded will run down the house batteries, and is the most common. Incorrectly wired batteries will cause many problems. Some of your interior appliances and warning systems continually draw from the battery bank, even when not being used.
New batteries can have a dead cell after a short time. If even one cell in one battery is dead/shorted, it prevents the battery bank from accepting a charge from the invertor/charger.
An experienced electrician who works with solar systems will/should be well-versed on working with your 12V system and inverter/charger.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Loulong,
I bet many, if not most, MH owners refer to their inverter/charger as an inverter.
If they don't know any better, they probably do, but when a person specifically asks if an inverter charges batteries, to insist that "modern inverters do" is pure BS.

Why not take the time to explain like I did?
Quote:
I suppose it could be because most Class A MHs come with inverter chargers.
Where's your proof on this?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Frisbie.....I see this is your first post and there are some things you need to know/do. We have no idea what kind of coach or inverter your talking about. Most people put their coach info in their signature.

Now your issue......most inverters have a circuit breaker on them. Your circuit breaker may be tripped.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter