Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Inverter Question

I removed the chassis batteries, that were not charging by the inverter, had them checked, fully charged them and they are holding a charge in my garage,however when i removed them i found a wire cover (black) that had two red wires coming out of it and one was connected to the negative post on one of the batteries and the other had a flat metal piece about one inch by one inch on it with a hole it it that looked like it should have been connected to something, but it was just hanging down between the batteries. It looked like it was meant to go over something. Do you think it should be connected to the positive post and that maybe that is the reason the inverter is not charging the chassis batteries? My Freedom Combi inverter is a model 81-2022-12 (208) It has two breaker switches, 15 and 25 amps AC out. The inverter is showing it is charging on the Gel one battery instead of the wet. I do not know how to set the battery type since my inside module does not have a select button for that. I seems to be charging the wet 6 volts really well. How would one go about setting the correct type on my unit. Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see you have a National so this info may not be pertinent to your situation. I have a Gulfstream with a similar setup and my Freedom Converter/Inverter only charges the house batteries. (I have 4-6volts) The chassis batteries are only charged by the engine alternator or the generator. I use a small "Battery Minder" type charger when the engine won't be running for a while.

The plate that you referred to may be the temperature sensor for the Freedom so it knows how aggressively to charge the house batteries.

Hope this may help a little.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Thanks for your input. My house batteries are keeping well charged, but the problem is with the chassis batteries. The two 12 volt battery area is where i saw the two red wires where one was hooked to the negative terminal and the other red wire with the metal square that is connected to nothing. My question is this: Why is one of the red wires connected and the other is just hanging and is connected to nothing. Do you have the same model inverter that i do. Thanks again, Rivrduk
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
plug your unit in and see if you have around 14V at that wire if so i bet its the charger It could be disconnected due to a problem check it out befor just hooking it up
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The chassis batteries will be separated from the house batteries by an isolator relay, which should close when it is necessary to charge the chassis battery from shore power (inverter/charger). Otherwise it stays open. It could be that relay has failed, or the circuit board that decides when to open/close has gone bad.

Sorry - I have no guess about your extra wire. If you mentioned your RV year, make and model in the message, maybe an owner of a similar rig would read it and advise.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you need to understand

Battery: A collection of cells

So if you have one 12 volt battery, or 2 six volt batteries in series .. Well that's one battery in either case

Add a 2nd 12, or a 2nd pair of sixes in parallel with the first, and you now have.. a bigger battery (just one)

Put 20 batteries together (that's 20 when you pull 'em out and lug 'em to the re-cycler) and you have... One very very big battery.

But to the charger, it is all one battery and it better be 12 volt.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Yep, i have two 12 volt chassis batteries and 4 6 volt house batteries, and what i didnt understand was whether the inverter-charger charged both. I have been told both ways. But i have figured out by testing that the chassis batteries are not charged by the inverter so i have purchased a trickle charger that i will keep on the chassis batteries while in storage. I have a trickle solar charger on the top of the motor home which is probably to the chassis batteries, but i have built a long cover for the MH and no sun can get to the solar unit to trickel (sp) charge the chassis batteries. I thought maybe my chassis batteries had gone bad, but they now have a full charge and are holding up well. Thanks, rivrduk
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Some coaches are designed to charge both, while others are not. Fleetwood and National RV always designed for both, whereas Winnebago did not until very recently and Monaco didn't either for some time. You didn't mention your brand, so we don't now if yours isn't charging by design or by accident. In any case, the trickle charger is an excellent solution.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote