Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Inverter Questions

2016 Outlaw 37RB. Has res fridge and an inverter.

I know the inverter takes DC and converts it to AC. Tell me when I need to have the inverter on and when can I turn it off.

Running down the hi way = on or no fridge. Correct?

Dry camping = ???

Generator running = ???

Plugged into shore power = on or off?

We are new at this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Basically, any time you're using the fridge in the RV, the inverter needs to be on. The only exception is if the inverter has a pass-through mode that works when it's off. If it does, it can be off when on shore power or generator.

Looking at the feature list for your RV, I would expect that the inverter does NOT have that mode since it lists separate inverter and converter. Pass-through mode is only possible on combination units.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

I leave my inverter on all the time.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

OK. Thanks for the info.

Reason I was asking is because RV is winterized and has been parked for a little over a week now. When I shut it down I switched house batteries to store but did not turn off the inverter. Today the house batteries we a bit low, 11.9. So I turned the inverter off and plugged it into shore power to help charge the house batteries. I'll go check it tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If it's winterized, then block the fridge doors open and turn it off. And turn the inverter off.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

Got it. Thanks
Old 02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
2016 Outlaw 37RB. Has res fridge and an inverter.

I know the inverter takes DC and converts it to AC. Tell me when I need to have the inverter on and when can I turn it off.

Running down the hi way = on or no fridge. Correct?

Dry camping = ???

Generator running = ???

Plugged into shore power = on or off?

We are new at this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Do you have a Inverter/Charger Combo?
If this is the case you shouldnt have to turn the inverter off, since your residential fridge will only run on AC. If plugged to Shore Power, the transfer switch should switch to shore power and if you have the combo, the charger portions continues to charge battery.
If Generator is running the transfer switch should also switch so no need to turn inverter off or on.
Now if you have the Refrigerator PLUGGED into a Cheapie Inverter then it must be on all the time. Depends on how your fridge is plugged in.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Most inverter/chargers also have a built-in transfer switch, aka "pass through: so that the inverter doesn't actually run when shore or genset power is online.

A few plain inverters also have a transfer switch built in, but most do not. However, a factory installed inverter might well have an external transfer switch that provides a "pass through" as well. Hard to know without detailed info on your particular rig. It's pretty easy to tell, though. If the fridge doesn't come on when plugged to shore power and the inverter is off, you will know you need the inverter to operate the fridge. Always.

When in storage, you don't need to operate either one, right?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

I don't know what I have. LOL

Like I said, I have a lot to learn.

The unit itself is mounted on an outside compartment wall beneath the fridge. There's a control unit on wall just inside entry door with a digital read out and an off switch.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on the inverter. Factory installed or in many cases (mine included) After market I leave it on all the time.. IF SHORE or Generator power is present it auto-switches to standby and passes power to the loads... Oh, I have an RV type absorption fridge so it does not power the fridge.

OFF.. Well it depends on how OFF I turn it.. But this is not always the case.. On mine TRUE off (Big red switch on Inverter itself) Nothing works, NO TV, no Microwave, No GFCI chain (kitchen, bath, patio dining table outlets).

ON but disabled, The above all work on shore power, and if the charger is enabled batteries charge But if shore power is lost. All die.

On and enabled.. (NOTE: I disable the charger for reasons which likely do not apply in your case.... I like my other charger better).

On and Enabled (inverter) If on shore power everythign works on shore power.. If Shore power is lost as it was last week.. i do not even notice. The TV works, The Microwave works, The Computers Work, the Wi_Fi Modem and Router work.. it all works.. Had I not looked at an "Shore power present" indicator I'd have not known it was missing since I did not have the A/C on.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

It's a Xantrax 1800 watt inverter. Factory installed.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
It's a Xantrax 1800 watt inverter. Factory installed.
Xantrax has several 1800 watt inverters. Inverter only include the PROsine 1800, PROwatt SW, and XM 1800. Inverter/Charger model is the Freedom HF 1800.

Which model, specifically?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #13

More importantly do you have an rv or a residential fridge?
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
More importantly do you have an rv or a residential fridge?
Post #1. Res fridge.

Tags
inverter