Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Inverter reccommendations

Hello,

I am going to add a inverter to my 1999 Rexhall Aerbus. It is the 33' model. I want to be able to run the microwave at 1600 watts and the coffee maker at 1500 watts at the same time. A 3000 watt unit should be adequate. Which brands do you guys have good experience with? Bad experience with? An automatic transfer switch sounds like a nice convienience. Thoughts, suggestions, heads up?

Cary

sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You probably do not have enough battery to run a 3000 watt inverter at full load. 3000 watts requires 250 amps continuous form the batteries. In fact, at least 275 amps, since the inverter is only about 90% efficient. You would need 6-8 large batteries, perhaps with acombined capacity of 800 amp-hours, to support that amount of load for several minutes.

As for the brand, standalone inverters are a commodity now. You can buy any of a dozen brands and get good service at a reasonable price. I would suggest pure sine inverter for a microwave, and for the coffee maker too if it has a programmable clock and electronic controls.

The transfer switch is fairly easy. I like the one from Surge Guard that has the built-in power monitor and surge protection - the #40250 or similar. Do you need a 50A switch or 30A?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the six large batteries, T-105 or bigger. I would suggest a smaller (Single cup) coffee maker.

Magnum, is a good brand, go with a True Sine Wave since you wish to power the microwave.. works better with Most microwaves. Works better with radios and televisions, in fact there is a fairly long list of things they work better with.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
30A, I think. My shore power cord is rated for 30A. My Magnetec convertor is rated for 45A.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I'd be careful with the microwave. Most have some pretty sensitive chips on the mother board and most inverters put out a square wave, not a sine wave the microwave wants. Just use a 12v coffee pot and skip the microwave, unless you're on genset or shore power.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

I have a xantrex prosine 3000 watt in my Damon and it will suck my 4 T105 battery bank dry in a heartbeat running the microwave.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
hmmm, still a lot of "pure sine" types... My knight came with a 2000 watt modified sine magnum inverter/converter with a 100 amp 3 stage charger. It is a very nice unit, with automatic passthrough (for when plugged in or on genny)

It runs the factory convection microwave no problem. Same with the factory TV's, surround sound, even the satelite system. It is connected to power virtually everything in the coach, exceptions being the A/C's, electric element in the water heater, and electric elements in the fridge.

I almost wish it didn't have an amp display on the indoor panel though. With the coffeemaker going, and a hair dryer, she is pulling about 225 amps out of the batteries. I've learned to use one at a time, or fire up the genny.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim, Is yours an older unit, i.e. 1999ish? My guess is that the newer microwaves units are more sensitive to the sine wave. Older technology in this case is a better thing to have.
Side question. Is the t105 a battery size?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

Jim, I have the Xantrex 2012GS installed in my Monoco Windsor and it will handle anything I put on line. We had a lightning strike near the house and at the time the MH was plugged into shore power and it blew the inverter and one phase to my house power.

No visible lighting damage anywhere but had to replace the inverter at a price of $2,500...covered by insurance. Very rare occurence but it does happen. Probably because I had the hydraulic metal jack down which eliminated the isolation normally provided by the rubber wheels.

Two things I learned from the experience. 1. The unit has no internal protection at all for surge or reverse polarity spikes and extensive damage can occur with either condition. 2. Xantrex is very difficult to deal with on the phone. The only recourse is to ship the unit to the factory for repair (expensive) and they will provide absolutely no helpful information or schematics to repair the unit myself.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jim is too common a name. If I'm the one.... the magnum in my 2008 knight does a fine job. It doesn't shirk at pulling 235 plus amps out of the batteries, that's me.

I just gotta think I don't "need" that kinda power.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

Remember to have a large battery bank as was stated earlier but also to locate the inverter as close to the batteries as possible without it being in the same compartment as the batteries. Keep battery conductor leads as short as possible (under 24 inches) and use really big conductor cables. 4/0 would be my choice. Powering a microwave will pull nearly 300 amps out of your battery string. You need short and big conductors.
I have always used a modified sine wave fore most things and it has worked fine including the microwave and flat screen tv but agree that a pure sine wave inverter is superior and more $.
-Paul R. Haller-

Tags
inverter