Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Inverter Remote stops working

my inverter freedom 20d was working two days ago. after driving 300 miles and arriving to destination (very hot here about 105 f), the remote for inverter won't make inverter output 120v (the remote is a simple on/off switch on control panel above the entrance door). when i turned on the local switch on the inverter, i got 120v output, so the inverter self seemed working(?). has anyone had such an experience and what could be wrong? thanks.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Do the master reset. Unplug the phone cable from the inverter and wait a couple of minutes. Then plug it back in and see what happens. Other than the master reset, I have no idea. Good luck
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

thanks don! i am not sure if disconnecting data cable on inverter makes a difference than disconnecting it on remote, i did latter but no effect... the inverter is a bit hard to access but i will try to get to it later...
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
thanks don! i am not sure if disconnecting data cable on inverter makes a difference than disconnecting it on remote, i did latter but no effect... the inverter is a bit hard to access but i will try to get to it later...

If you disconnected at the remote and it didn't do anything, then disconnecting at the inverter won't work either. So save you the effort. You could have a bad remote
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Community Moderator

ok, i will search where i can get one used maybe...
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

I just had the same problem, except for the heat issue, it is only 77 degrees here in Colorado. I have not had any other problems with this unit in the past. I have a 2003 Coachmen Sportscoach 400DS. As the original poster said, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
colokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colokidd View Post
I just had the same problem, except for the heat issue, it is only 77 degrees here in Colorado. I have not had any other problems with this unit in the past. I have a 2003 Coachmen Sportscoach 400DS. As the original poster said, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
mike, i called xantrex. they suggested me try with a new data cable - a 6 line phone cable to plug into the back of inverter directly. the agent said the remote is very rare to be broken, but the cable isn't.

my inverter is in an enclosed area above battery bank. i installed a sealed solar controller box on it so opening inverter up involves a lot of items removal. when i get a chance i will do it. meantime if yours is easyto access, please test it out and let me know...
Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

I tried all of the mentioned corrective actions, but none of them worked. My inverter is in a very accessible area, so no problem in getting to it. I took the remote out of the panel and used a short phone cable at the inverter, did not work. After a closer inspection, I noticed some corrosion in the receptacle for the phone cable to the remote, I went to Home Depot and got some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed it into the receptacle and then plugged the cable back in and I now have my remote back. If you see some bluish/greenish color around the receptacle you might try the contact cleaner and see if it works. The contact cleaner will not harm the inverter, I have been an electrician for 40+ years. Hope this might help you.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Well, that lasted about 1 hour, it is back out again. I think that the receptacle might be bad and I know that it is soldered to a circuit board inside, so I will probably have to replace that circuit board. There is a repair facility here in Colorado Springs, I will have to call them tomorrow and see if I can get a circuit board from them or if there might be another solution.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Mike that was promising... i will check the receptacle on remote too. as only as not the cable self - about 40 feet buried inside wall and ceiling connection no way to pull out/replace with a new one, i would be happy. Thanks Mike.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Update - the receptacle on remote is clean and cable terminal to the remote is clean too. i wiped both slightly with a piece of fine sandpaper, nothing has changed. looks like i would have to check the other end of the cable :-(
Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
Community Moderator

this turned out to be like a drama... tried with DeOxiIt to clean the contacts... when at wits end, i opened up the enclosure housing the inverter, right above the battery pack. i pulled the data line and came to find out that the cable was plugged to inverter at the bottom of it. man, who designed it that way? the inverter was bolted on to the base board with 4 bolts but the two close to the inner wall were almost inaccessible. before i gave up, i turned on the inverter at the inverter front panel, went inside to double check at least it was still good. at the moment, i thought let me turn on the remote see what's gonna happen. of course it output 120v. while remote was still on, i went back to turn off the inverter at inverter face. then i came back inside to turn off the remote. viola, it worked. i tried couple more ons and offs, it all worked as it should...

why it worked? i guess it might be me pulling the line that made the plug seating firm. don't know how long will it be loosing again, but at least it works for now... i put all the things back together and had a big sip of beer... life is good again

Tags
inverter