Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Inverter Syandby Issue

cannot seem to get my inverter into standby on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty. I have set it right and the lights show correctly but even when it shows in standby mode I still get power. I noticed this on my last trip that when I was unhooked from shore power & gen off I still was getting power because I noticed lights on on my audio/visual equip overhead. Any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

In some inverters, standby does not mean off. It monitors the draw on the AC and if you have a device that is on and exceeds the standby power draw, it will stay on if it was already on, or it turns on if it was in standby mode. This is usual very little current that is needed to satisfy the standby draw.

Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
KIX

Yep, what Harry said.
The lights on your AV equipment are enough to bring the inverter out of standby
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Standby means ready and waiting to go to work. Any demand for 120v power will bring it out of Standby and into active mode. If you don't want it on, you have to turn it off.

You didn't mention the make and model of inverter, so I have no suggestion as to how to do that.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl138
cannot seem to get my inverter into standby on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty. I have set it right and the lights show correctly but even when it shows in standby mode I still get power. I noticed this on my last trip that when I was unhooked from shore power & gen off I still was getting power because I noticed lights on on my audio/visual equip overhead. Any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks
If your inverter/charger is a trace engineering model, there USA a "search sense" mode which others have pointed out automatically detects AC draw. You can get to that menu in your RG7GS remote panel. When in search sense mode, your RG7 remote panel inverter light will blink green slowly.

All above is for the trace Enginering inverter charger with rg7 remote panel which I am only assuming you have. Do you have your inverter manual?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

I will be going to the RV later today and will post the model of the inverter in hopes that I can turn it off so that it stops draining my batteries when not using the rv without having to turn the battery cutoff switches off. I had a thought that the fridge might be in auto mode would that cause it to draw? Thanks for all the responses!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl138 View Post
I had a thought that the fridge might be in auto mode would that cause it to draw? Thanks for all the responses!!
Yes with a caveat that the receptacle your reefer is plugged into is powered via the inverter. If the reefer is powered by the inverter it will drain batteries pretty quickly........like a few hours.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

On my 99 Windsor the switch inside would not turn my inverter off. At a rally a tech went in the bay and reset the inverter and its worked since. He showed me how but I've since forgotten.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of inverter do you have?

On my Prosine "Standby" means "Turned on and activaged but passing power from shore or generator" thus the equipment would remain on...

Inverting means, No shore or generator power to pass.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah

If your inverter/charger is a trace engineering model, there USA a "search sense" mode which others have pointed out automatically detects AC draw. You can get to that menu in your RG7GS remote panel. When in search sense mode, your RG7 remote panel inverter light will blink green slowly.

All above is for the trace Enginering inverter charger with rg7 remote panel which I am only assuming you have. Do you have your inverter manual?
It is an RG7...the manual says u can take it out of stand by by pressing the on/off switch while it is plugged in. I did that last night and the light flashes for standby and goes off if pressed again. I did not want to unplug last night but will see what happens next time. I do not see how to turn the inverter just off.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfl138

It is an RG7...the manual says u can take it out of stand by by pressing the on/off switch while it is plugged in. I did that last night and the light flashes for standby and goes off if pressed again. I did not want to unplug last night but will see what happens next time. I do not see how to turn the inverter just off.
To the best of my understanding, if the green light is off, it is off. If it is on solid, then the inverter is off. If it blinks slowly, then it's in search sense mode. This is for when it is not plugged in. If it is plugged in and your inverter is left on, it will go in bypass mode which I'm guessing is the flashing standbye. You need to test it unplugged from shore. Also I hear that the remote sometimes will not work on some functions without resetting the inverter. I'm not certain on that.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Pressing the On/Off button on the RG7 remote cycles the inverter between "Off" (green light off) and Standby (green light blinking). Standby becomes "ON" (green light on steady) if there is no external power (generator or shore power) present.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Gary is correct. I think I had a typo on my post.

If in search sense mode, the green light will also blink intermittently (when not on shore power).