Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Xantres Freedom 10 is both an inverter and a charger.. Per the owner's manual, which you can find at xantrex Freedom 10 Inverter/Charger Owner's Manual for the 10 | ManualsOnline

50 amp converter/charger, not too shabby. Good for any battery bank 150 amp hours or above.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattapuss View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know I have an inverter it is a xantrex freedom 10. I looked everywhere for a 12v converter. It appears there isn't one. I have a transfer switch that appears only to be 110 by the fact there is only ac lines in and out. I also downloaded the freedom 10 manuel and it said the inverter will shut down if one of the batteries is bad, that is the reason for replacing batteries. I am living in the coach and have a automatic battery charger hooked up full time. any problems with that?

Thanks again, Pat
1. Your Freedom 10 is a three stage automatic battery charger. You should not need an additional House battery charger if the Freedom 10 is fully functional.

2. The Freedom 10 has a transfer switch inside of the case.

3. In addition, you probably have an standalone AC transfer switch that directs the flow of AC input from Shore power and Generator Power to all of the AC circuits in the rig.

Usually, the transfer switch gives precedence to Generator Power over available shore power.

Your Freedom 10 invertor will direct 12v charge to the house batteries in three stages and convert 12 dcv from your house batteries to 110 acv for the 110 ac circuits so wired.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #17

We've sort of been all around the farm on this.

1. Your first post said that you didn't think the inverter was working and you replaced the batteries.

The next step (probably should have been the first step ) is to check your Inverter for the circuit breakers. While you are at it, make sure it is turned on AND leave it on.

It's not clear how you determined that the Inverter is not working. If it's because your starting batteries go dead see my note below.

You can check Inverter function by disconnecting the coach from shoreline and with NO generator running, find the in-side Inverter control panel. It could be near your door, a panel in the galley, or a panel in the bedroom.

Turn the inverter on at that panel (your actual inverter in the bay is/should be ALWAYS on.

Now turn on some 120VAC light, your TV, or the fridge. Don't try the microwave or Air Conditioning - the Inverter can't run them.

You now know whether your Inverter is working or not.

If its not working, either you have an open circuit breaker, a bad connection somewhere, or you haven't turned it on. If you can't sort it out at this point you will need professional assistance.

2. With the Freedom 10 the question about transformers is irrelevant. Forget about transformers. Your system is much more sophisticated.

3. If the Freedom 10 is working properly than you do not need the auxiliary charger.

Note: If your coach is wired like the majority the shoreline power will NOT charge the chassis batteries. You need something to carry charging current from the house side to the chassis side. I have the Trik-L-Start , a $50 device that can be permanently installed. It keeps the chassis batteries charged while the house batteries are getting charged by the convert built into the Freedom 10.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Finally, you will be using the inverter to produce 120VAC when you need it and have no other source of 120 (no shoreline and generator not running).

I run mine while driving because I have a laptop at the dash running, and when I installed a new rear camera system I got lazy didn't run a 12VDC to the monitor - I just use little 120 to 12V power cube.

The Freedom 10 will keep your batteries charged (see note above) when ever you are on shoreline or are sitting with the engine off and the genset running. When you are driving the coach alternator will keep both sets of batteries charged.

Hope this summarizes all of the responses and helps you understand your coach electrics a little better.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
... I am living in the coach and have a automatic battery charger hooked up full time. any problems with that?

Thanks again, Pat
Pat:

Ultraken posted while I was composing this post so our posts have very similar information, I have links to the manuals and some more info based on my experience with Freedom inverters, so I'm posting anyway at the risk of confusing you more

If the Freedom 10 is set up for your batteries correctly (they usually are if a PO has not changed the setup) and is working correctly you do not need a second charger on your house batteries, as others have mentioned.

You mentioned in your first post your inverter was not working, you assumed so because it had no humming or fan. The Freedom 10 will not run the fan except under heavy load or when charging, but it will have a light or two on indicating it is running, and you will hear it hum, especially with heavy load.

If your Freedom 10 is black in color, here is the manual, if it is a Freedom 458 Model 10 (not black) here is the manual. The manual has some good troubleshooting information.

Here is one way to determine whether the inverter is charging the battery:

Do you have a remote control panel for the inverter (it could also look like the one on p29 of the black Freedom manual)? If so you should be able to monitor your batteries right there, otherwise you'll need a DMM to measure the battery voltage (DMM set for DC volts, 20V or 30V range unless it is autoranging).

After the charger fully charges the batteries it will go into "Float" mode. The voltage across the batteries (or indicated on the remote) will be somewhere near 13.5V during float mode. Battery voltage never should drop below 13V or so when batteries are being charged, except maybe the first hour charging really discharged batteries, so if you see this the inverter is not charging correctly.

If it is not charging correctly there should be no harm leaving your external charger connected, just watch the battery electrolyte level, some of those chargers will boil the electrolyte quickly, even the "automatic" ones.

The inverter has at least one pushbutton circuit breaker, it should be pushed in (see P7 of the black Freedom manual or P87 of the 458 manual).

The Freedom 10 can be repaired (unlike some of Xantrex's later stuff), Xantrex has a list of service centers on their website. I can't recommend one because I have not used any, but perhaps other posters can.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #19

I have been all through this thing and I am getting flashing lights all over the controll panel. I have found a new (I hope) xantrex freedom 10 with the blue case the man. date is 2002 and the guy said he bought it new but never installed it. It also comes with the command 1000. I think at 500.00 it is a good deal and I can resale if it doesn't work out. So that is where I am going next. Will keep upu guys posted on my project.

Thanks again for your feedback....Pat
plattapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have been all through this thing and I am getting flashing lights all over the controll panel. I have found a new (I hope) xantrex freedom 10 with the blue case the man. date is 2002 and the guy said he bought it new but never installed it. It also comes with the command 1000. I think at 500.00 it is a good deal and I can resale if it doesn't work out. So that is where I am going next. Will keep upu guys posted on my project.

Thanks again for your feedback....Pat
The flashing lights at the control panel may be just a confused panel that can be reset by un plugging the signal cable at its backside for a short time. I would try that before replacing the inverter.

Marty
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
The flashing lights at the control panel may be just a confused panel that can be reset by un plugging the signal cable at its backside for a short time. I would try that before replacing the inverter.

Marty
That worked for me after new batteries were installed. 30 sec disconnected and all was good when re-connected.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
In residential construction a "transformer" is used to convert 120v to 12v or 24v to power things like door bells buttons,etc. In rv's there is no transformer because 12v comes straight from the battery banks. An inverter is used to invert 12v to 120v for short periods of time.
PEPPER9950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did you look under the bed? Thats where mine is... '89 Gulfsteam
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Did you look under the bed? Thats where mine is... '89 Gulfsteam

Yes I did look under the bed . Didnt find a 12 volt converter but I did find some other interesting things. Some elaborate way of controlling the air conditioners, a transfer switch and the water pump along with the water tank.

I did get the new xantrex installed and it works great. Unplug the motorhome and the tv, vacume, microwave and everything else keeps working. Three stage battery charging. This inverter is really cool. I put in a new 32 inch led tv that uses very little power. Above the tv I put a samsung sound bar with a remote woofer. Works great for the tv, ipod and dvd.

I found a satelite dish I am hopefully buying today. This old motorhome is beginning to take shape.

Pat
plattapuss is offline   Reply With Quote