Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

Inverter Trouble

Our Zantrex Freedom 458 inverter shuts off when i unhook shore power. It works correctly with the gen, and shore power. Charges batteries. Has worked great for 1 1/2 years. We're broke down 250 miles from home. I ordered new type t 300 amp fuse because no power to inverter side of that fuse with shore disconnected.Wires are tight on all batteries. What could I look at? A little desperate...thanks! 40' 2000 Monaco Dip. John. PS, very illiterate with this computer/ smartphone stuff. Hope I can find this again
Cat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

The inverter and charger are in one box, but seperate systems. Is the inverter switch actually turned on either by the control panel or at the inverter.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

It appears you have a converter, the inverter produces AC power from DC input voltage. Not familiar with your model, mine has several fuses on outside of unit.. Check those first if you have them and voltage to unit..
Old 07-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #4

That's the part that works, converter. The same unit takes batt power and runs the residential fridge and the other ac appliances. The inverter is what we use when traveling, and it is not working now.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat568 View Post
That's the part that works, converter. The same unit takes batt power and runs the residential fridge and the other ac appliances. The inverter is what we use when traveling, and it is not working now.
I Understand. But you have to turn the inverter on. The charger being on when plugged in has nothing to do with it. Also it is right at the age they fail. I just pulled a 2009 rv3200 for a full sine wave 815 3200
Old 07-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #6

Fixed?

I found a very rare (apparently) $70 type t fuse 200 miles away, which is the 'catastrophic' fast blow, battery cable fuse, replaced it and inverter is fine and working now. Checked every wire from inverter to batts, all batt cables, associated hardware, and found no suspect conditions. BUT, when we got home, ems said 'open ground' on shore power? Started gen, and no problems. Went to inverter and, no problems. What the ? Checked EVERY a.c. outlet on coach, all read correct, except one in bathroom that had reversed polarity. Curiouser and curiouser...retired from logging, 40 years of axes, chain saws, and catapillars, didn't prepare me for the electronical wizardry I need now..
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 AM   #7

You need to look before the EMS for the open ground. They monitor incoming power.

Start at the shore power wall outlet and follow the power. Shore cord, automatic transfer switch, main breaker panel, looking for a bad connection.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 AM   #8

I would pull the duplex receptacle that is wired backwards and make sure the white , nuetral wire is on the long blade side of the plug. Black on the short side. It is a safety issue, probably nothing to do with the problem you experienced though.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to look before the EMS for the open ground. They monitor incoming power.

Start at the shore power wall outlet and follow the power. Shore cord, automatic transfer switch, main breaker panel, looking for a bad connection.
Twinboat!!! Thank You! It was before the ems! I thiught it was telling me it found an open ground in the motorhome. It was the shore power wire reel. Wiggling the large wires near the ems, I was pretty sure that one of the display E messages said E0. Watched it for several cycles and thought, nope still E2. Continued wiggling input wiring and aha! Knew I saw E0! PHEW! Thank goodness. I can fix that! Thank You so much, the knowledge and experience available here is SO valuable in time, money, and less frustration. I spent all day playing with my 3 grandchildren (4,3,18 mo), instead of walking around, crawling under, emptying cabinets, with a multimeter in my hand and worrying about how much it would cost to have a mechanic fix it because I couldn't. Most amazing bunch of people, so kind, and you share with others you've never met the most valuable thing any of us have, time. Thank You again.

Tags
inverter