Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Inverter Upgrade

I'm upgrading my Xantrex Freedom 458 to a Xantrex Freedom SW3012.

Looking on line there are many places to buy it from. There are several within a few dollars of each other so I'm not sure who to buy from. I've looked at reviews on line and threw out a couple that got bad reviews. Before I randomly pick a company to buy from, I thought I'd ask the experts here if there are any to absolutely avoid or any that you'd absolutely do business with again.

I'll be in the Vegas area for a couple of weeks if you know of a place there. Otherwise I'll have it it shipped to either NV or AZ. I'm not in a rush.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
I'm upgrading my Xantrex Freedom 458 to a Xantrex Freedom SW3012.

Looking on line there are many places to buy it from. There are several within a few dollars of each other so I'm not sure who to buy from. I've looked at reviews on line and threw out a couple that got bad reviews. Before I randomly pick a company to buy from, I thought I'd ask the experts here if there are any to absolutely avoid or any that you'd absolutely do business with again.

I'll be in the Vegas area for a couple of weeks if you know of a place there. Otherwise I'll have it it shipped to either NV or AZ. I'm not in a rush.

Thanks!
I personally have not had good service from Xantrex. Have you looked at Magnum? They seem to be solid and have a great customer service department. Xantrex has been acquired by a Canadian company and I know the change caused some problems. Magnum is located in Everett, WA and has been since its founding. I have a Magnum true sine wave inverter in this coach and it has been rock solid. My 6 AGM battery string and 2 start batteries are very happy being married to the 2800 W Magnum. (Bigamy?) I had so much trouble with the Xantrex. When I called for help they told me that my 1 1/2 year old inverter was disposable and they refused to work on it.

Your money and time. Your choice.

Rick Y
Old 11-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on the year of your xantex. They changed over from a telephone style plug in for remote operation to a Ethernet style plug for remote operation on the new ones. I thought my xantex was bad and was checking into a replacement. There is a company that makes and adapter cable so you can use your original remote panel and cableing if you need to do that. Replacing the remote will not help because the different cable the adapter is the only easy fix. I have the information at home if you decide to go that route and need the address of the adapter cable information.
msg me if you need it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are hung up on Xantrex, look here iMarine USA - Search
I bought my Magnum, which is a better inverter, from them. Their prices are outstanding as well as their service.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've purchased from iMarine as well, they are great to deal with.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I personally have not had good service from Xantrex. Have you looked at Magnum? They seem to be solid and have a great customer service department. Xantrex has been acquired by a Canadian company and I know the change caused some problems. Magnum is located in Everett, WA and has been since its founding. I have a Magnum true sine wave inverter in this coach and it has been rock solid. My 6 AGM battery string and 2 start batteries are very happy being married to the 2800 W Magnum. (Bigamy?) I had so much trouble with the Xantrex. When I called for help they told me that my 1 1/2 year old inverter was disposable and they refused to work on it.

Your money and time. Your choice.

Rick Y
I may be in the market for an inverter in the near future, and I have not heard good things about Xantrex either. Everyone seems to get better service from Magnum.

The only problem is Magnum does not seem to make any PSW inverters without charging capability. The new coach we have on order will already have a converter with a decent 3-stage charger so I don't want to spend the extra money for an inverter/charger. I want an inverter only. Am I missing something or does Magnum not make any PSW inverters without charging capabilities?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Northern Arizona Wind and Sun in Flagstaff. They handle both Zantrex and Magnum. There is no sales tax on solar equipment in Arizona. 1-877-790-4732
www.windsun.com
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Changing over from Freedom to Magnum was easy plug 'n play in our coach. The Magnum uses the same telephone cable to connect the remote. The remote is a direct fit for the old Freedom remote.

I wonder why Xantrex decided not to continue using the telephone cable to connect the remote. That was a deal breaker for me. I didn't want to have to fish a new cable through the coach structure.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I may be in the market for an inverter in the near future, and I have not heard good things about Xantrex either. Everyone seems to get better service from Magnum.

The only problem is Magnum does not seem to make any PSW inverters without charging capability. The new coach we have on order will already have a converter with a decent 3-stage charger so I don't want to spend the extra money for an inverter/charger. I want an inverter only. Am I missing something or does Magnum not make any PSW inverters without charging capabilities?
I just looked at iMarine. GREAT prices and a full range of products. Do some homework on the ProMariner TruePower inverters. That might be what you need. I am certain there are other manufactures out there but that one caught my eye on your behalf.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
" The new coach we have on order will already have a converter with a decent 3-stage charger............"

I don't understand why any new manufactured coach would come with a converter only.

What brand and model are you buying?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, upgrade