Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
inverters and sanitation

Hi, I have a new Tiffin Allegro 36La.

1. What and when should I use my inverter? Should it be left on all of the time or only during specific times or for specific purposes?

2. Can I use FloJet RV Camper Motorhome Portable Macerator Waste Water Pump to dump my holding talk in to my home toilet? Will this overwhelm the toilet? It uses a 3/4 inch garden hose to remove the waste.

3. Does anyone have or know where to get floor mats for the F-53 chassis? Is there a mat that covers the entire area of the cab? both seats and the area in between?

I look forward to your responses even though these may seem like stupid questions.

Thanks
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I leave my inverter on 24/7. However, do NOT attempt to use it for high amp devices such as heaters, hair dryers, toasters, coffee makers or microwave, etc. Some people have used their microwave on the inverter but it struggles along with draining your battery bank quickly. Many have had to replace their microwaves due to premature failure, possibly because of using it on the inverter. For these high amp draw devices, turn on your generator when needed.

With regards to the use of the macerator, do not use the toilet as it will take a very long time filling the bowl and then flushing. I would recommend using your sewer clean-out which you should have someone around the outside of your house.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you are going to use the microwave with the inverter on then you need to make sure it can handle it - ie 1500 watt inverter and a 1600 watt convection/microwave does not mix well and you will have to replace one or both. Yes we have had to do that. The previous owners replaced both and did not match them up. We have now replaced the 1500 modified sine wave inverter with a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter, there should be no more problems. A new convection/microwave and we can now cook and bake things correctly and without taking 3 or 4 times longer.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I turn the inverter on only when it will be used.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ours is on all the time as all the outlets in the coach are on the inverter circuits.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mrbhistory,
My inverter is on all the time. I would not use the macerator as you describe. Somewhere there is a plumber access to the sewer line from outside your house. Find this and use it. Google "f53 floor mats". You will have many choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you are hooked up to shore power, why would you have the inverter on? I've never understood this?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Barbaraok,
For me the answer to your question is easy.
1. The most difficult thing for an electrical appliance to do is boot up (turn on).
2. I'm looking to take things off my list of things to do. On VAC shore power then off shore power then back on shore power again. I see no reason to turn the inverter on/off/on/off.
3. The ever present power failure of shore power. I have a lot of "stuff" connected to outlets powered by the inverter. Resetting these items is a PITA. Leaving the inverter on all the time eliminates having to reset the appliances if there is a power failure. Or when I disconnect from shore power.

My inverter has been on for almost 8 years (except when the coach batteries were replaced). It works as advertised. I enjoy the freedom from power loss.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I leave my inverter on 24/7. However, do NOT attempt to use it for high amp devices such as heaters, hair dryers, toasters, coffee makers or microwave, etc. Some people have used their microwave on the inverter but it struggles along with draining your battery bank quickly. Many have had to replace their microwaves due to premature failure, possibly because of using it on the inverter. For these high amp draw devices, turn on your generator when needed.

With regards to the use of the macerator, do not use the toilet as it will take a very long time filling the bowl and then flushing. I would recommend using your sewer clean-out which you should have someone around the outside of your house.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Agree re running the gen vs using the inverter for high current consuming appliances. I always do that. It is sooo easy to do but of course one does have to be in a generator friendly situation to do this and one nice thing about being mobile is you can move if the evironment prevents you doing what you want. But, having the option to use the inverter is a plus for the microwave etc when it is not convenient to run the genny. And in this case it is obviously important to have appropriatly sized and capable inverter and batteries.

Re the Macerator:

I have used my macerator on many toilets without any difficulty. All the toilets I have used are self flushing after suffient effluent is put in them and continued to discharge down the drain as it comes in from the macerator hose output. My first attempt with using the macerator in a toilet I used grey water only to see if there was any issue. It worked fine and there is no problem with flow - it goes fast. I always stay with the toilet while my DW controls the macerator on/off switch. If she is beyond natural voice coverage, we use walkie talkies or our cell phones so I can direct her to start/stop the flow at any time. It works fine and during my trials I even elevated the hose to see if there was significant flow reduction at various pumping elevations. At about 7' high and using 75' 3/4 " hose extention beyond my 22' 1" standard stretch macerator hose and all was fine. Total distance tried was 97' at 7' high.

I only used the toilet once at home for a trial, but have used toilets as necessary and always flush the toilet first to ensure a clean flush occurs without any restriction. My first choice is a proper dump site and I have a regular dump into my septic system at home. One in my RV garage and one at an concrete RV parking spot beside my RV garage.

Sewer clean out areas are of course preferred to a toilet and I indeed suggest if one is rigging a home dump this is best, but if nothing else is available - the toilet option works ok for me and the flow and draining action is absolutly fine. I have used service station toilets without problems but I always get permission and most often offer the service station attendant a $10 tip in advance as I ask the question and that seems to improve the probabilty of getting approval. (I have never had any mishap or made a mess anywhere, and only consider service station toilets with outside easy access).

Regardless of the option used, it is best to ensure the outlet end is monitored/secured to prevent any spillage. I have a 4" and a 3" screw in cleanout caps and a doughnut all with a threaded 3/4 in hose connector I can secure my hose to as required when I use an extender hose on a cleanout. Never used the 3" cap so it may be redundant.

Hope my experience in this area helps others who are considering dump options with a macerator. I will never be without one. I even carry a spare one just in case of a failure but have never had one fail so far. IMHO it beats the stinky slinky hands down.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you are hooked up to shore power, why would you have the inverter on? I've never understood this?

Barb
Depends on how your inverter is wired. Mine has a pass-through mode for when external power (shore or generator) is available. In that mode, the inverter is on, but not actually inverting. If I turn off the inverter, the pass-passthrough is also disabled so there's no power at all to the inverter-fed circuits.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbhistory View Post
Hi, I have a new Tiffin Allegro 36La.

1. What and when should I use my inverter? Should it be left on all of the time or only during specific times or for specific purposes?
It is truly up to you. My inverter is one with a pass through feature, if Shore power is present it passes it on through and goes into standby.. Yesterday I tripped the park 30 amp 3 times, at no time did I loose 120 volt on the inverter powered outlets since I leave it on all the time, it worked like a UPS and did very well. (though power flickers will fool it).

Quote:
2. Can I use FloJet RV Camper Motorhome Portable Macerator Waste Water Pump to dump my holding talk in to my home toilet? Will this overwhelm the toilet? It uses a 3/4 inch garden hose to remove the waste.
I have done just exactly that. The only danger is if you have a septic tank/drain field you might overwhelm that.. But if you are on a city sewer system Go FOR IT. (NOTE: on your own septic system it depends on the size of the system and the size of the tanks in the Motor Home, if needed do partial dumps over a few days)

[/quote]3. Does anyone have or know where to get floor mats for the F-53 chassis? Is there a mat that covers the entire area of the cab? both seats and the area in between?
Don[/QUOTE]

All I can suggest there is haunt auto parts stores or J.C. Whitny (An auto parts store in Chicago with a very very large warehouse and a decent on-line catalog) If it exists, Whitny should have it. You can shop online and then go to your local Autozne or whomever store. Or order online as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #12

I turn my inverter on only when I need it. I just feel like it prevents accidentally turning on something that exceeds its output
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

Wa8xym made a good point about septic systems. I dump in mine all the time, but I made my field and tank system extra large when I had my house built, I had the field and tank system made that would accomodate a small apartment building even though I have a single family dwelling. We have 4 bathrooms in the house and one in my RV garage and I designed mine to accommodate a large RV dump at one time. Very much overkill but I wanted to mitigate or eliminate any septic problems relative to capacity.

But for a traditional single family home designed septic system, it may not be able to accept 150 gal or so as fast as it comes out of the discharge. This might be a good test for it to see if there are pending septic problems.

The output from a macerator is almost liquid and that would be sent directly to the field in most cases so drain capacity is directly related to field dispersment capability without having solids drop into the first tank in the septic system. You will know if it backs up and if it does, just take longer to dump and then have the septic system checked.

I often direct my grey water to the grass after a quick flush behind the black tank into the septic. Have a seperate discharge system for grey water that goes into a sump hole and a pump that goes to my sprinklers. It is a sump pump with a float and goes on automatically as water is put into the sump hole.

Many campgrounds have septic systems - they must have huge fields with a good dispersement capability.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
1. I leave my inverter off unless needed, even when boondocking.
2. Unless you are going to station someone at the toilet to ensure that hose stays in the bowl while pumping, I would go into an exterior cleanout/connection. Don't know about your system, but my Sani-Con really blows it through that 3/4" hose - visualize a small, high pressure fire hose flailing all over your bathroom, spreading that honey everywhere - you get the picture. (By the way, this has nothing to do with "flushing" the toilet, as you don't have to flush. The outlet of the toilet is at the height of the normal water level in the bowl - no matter how much you put in the bowl, the level will remain the same. Unless your hose is larger than the toilet drain, or you have a pressurized system like you see in basements sometimes.)
3. No idea about the floor covering issue.