Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Iodophor to sanitize ?

Getting geared up for the coming season. Fresh water tanks have been empty for almost a year but I still would like to sanitize.

I know the usual method is bleach but I have a bunch of iodophor (used to sanitize home-brewing equipment and bottles). Anyone used that or know of any reason not to use it?

Oh, this is our '97 Southwind if that matters.
TIA

Bill W

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have not used iodophor , nor do i know what it is. Can you make enough solution to sanitize your 50 or 60 gal fresh water tank and the 6 gal hot water tank ? If there is any residual is it safe to ingest ?. Bleach has been a tried and true method of sanitizing
water, piping and tanks for a long time . It is inexpensive and easy to find . That having been said , new products and methods come to the market and some will be worth trying. My opinion ? Stay with the tried and true and let someone else
experiment . of course YMMV

Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wildbill. You made me curious , I got this from WikiPedia . So in theory Iodophor
will sanitize your water system, with the chance of slight brown staining. you should also be sure the Iodophor will not degrade you Pex piping

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An Iodophor is a preparation containing iodine complexed with a solubilizing agent, such as a surfactant or povidone (forming povidone-iodine). The result is a water-soluble material that releases free iodine when in solution. Iodophors are prepared by mixing iodine with the solubilizing agent; heat can be used to speed up the reaction.
Commercial Use

Diluted iodophor is often used by brewers and winemakers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions it does not require rinsing. However, it can leave unattractive orange-brown stains on plastic parts and equipment that it is left in contact with.
It is often supplied in different concentrations and is further diluted with water before use. The label will advise the appropriate dilution ratio, commonly 1:1000 or 1:100. Equipment to be sanitized should be thoroughly clean and left in contact with the solution for at least 2 minutes.
Diluted iodophor is also used extensively in the dairy industry.
Human Toxicity

"Based on a review of the available toxicology data, the [US EPA] has concluded that iodine and iodophor complexes are of very low toxicity by the oral, dermal, and inhalation routes of exposure
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not real sure about the safety of PEX and iodophor but it may well be a moot point. Turns out I don't have enough to do the 50gal fresh water tank. I'd need just a shade over a quart which, if I had to buy, would be $40-50.

Hmmm, let's see $1.99 for a quart of bleach (and I won't need it all) or $50 and no way to re-use?

I'll be using bleach tomorrow.

Next time, I'd read the label on the bottle a little more closely before asking. Thanks anyway folks.

Bill W.