Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope '05 is not too old. I'm driving an '04!

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
We are still on the hunt for a tag axle with large engine. 450+. Recently found a 2005 with Detroit 60 series motor. The question is will we be bombarded with items which will need to be replaced with the age of the unit? Plumbing, belts, hoses, etc? Or are we overthinking? We like the layout and goodies on this unit and the price is right for us. Love to hear your thoughts. thanks!
I wouldn't want anything newer in a quality coach, especially if a Bluebird Wanderlodge and you can do a lot with the savings with upgrades and or repairs if needed.
Let's just say that I would prefer having a million dollar coach, without spending the million or the taxes associated with it.
We're presently in FL at Lazydays and they do have a nice low mileage 40ft. 06 Fleetwood Revolution LE with 1 1/2 baths and our preference in a large coach (I've never seen a 1 1/2 in a BB product). Certainly not top of the line with this Revolution, but even though it doesn't say so, it is an American brand and built on a spartan chassis, so now you can get some quality without paying for the name. If 10yrs younger and not about done with long term travel, I would seriously be looking into buying this coach today, but as per usual, when you feel that you can finally afford some of this stuff, you no longer want or have a need for it.

07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #17

Maintenance records is the key ... we bought a 03 a year ago ... all records were up to date ... and we've been cruisin ever since ... and yeah .. we continued the scheduled maintenance .... purchased from private party ...
Good luck with your search ....
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
No a 2005 is not too old. That same DD S60 engine is used in long haul commercial trucks and many of them are still going strong after more than 20 yrs with over 2 million miles.
In light duty RV use that engine will last longer than you, assuming its given proper routine maintenance.
As someone said above, these are complex mechanical systems and anything can break at any time. Age & external inspections mean little. Taking oil & coolant samples & sending them to a lab for testing reveals more about the history & future of the engine itself.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
If your purchasing from a dealership request the same pre delivery service people get when they purchase new. Meaning plugged into shore power , slides out , water hooked up. check everything and have them show you how to operate everything from stuff like power management system including inverter/s , water pumps ,all the lights , sinks ,showers , AC units , furnace , power pilot and co-pilot chairs functioning properly , levelling jacks, entry step , all awnings etc. Also confirmation that all appliances and electronics such as TV's and sound systems actually work. Start generator , run it under load. Any cracks in windshield ? All records of service should be supplied. Also dealers want to move units, check tire code, if they are five years old tell them you want new rubber as part of the deal. Don't take no for an answer. Ask about the shocks ? if they still have the crappy Munroes you will have an expense right away for big $. And of course get a good test drive in where you can really smoke test her as far as power ,cockpit gauges , wipers , headlights blah blah, brake condition ,jake or exhaust brake , any noises or abnormal handling that raise a concern. If its a private sale hopefully some of this info is of value. Make a list and Good Luck !
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Not too old but do expect some expenses after purchase. We have updated the TVs . . .
I figured the Cummins engine & Allison transmission on my 2001 Newmar were the least things to worry about when I bought it in 2010.

For the most part I was right.

I replaced both ACs as one was failing, upgraded my water heater from 10 to 12 gallons, replaced the old TVs, replaced my Dometic fridge with a residential one, replaced some of the plastic parts on the roof (sun rot), resealed my fiberglass roof, replaced the original transfer switch, replaced the original modified sine wave inverter/charger, added basement slideouts, etc, etc.

Only a few of the above items were actually failing, but I wanted as few repairs or upgrades on the road as possible. I've had a few of those and they tend to be expensive.

My Cummins 350HP has been great. However, I do a yearly check because I'm not a gearhead and I did have to repair the turbo exhaust.

Have fun!
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Our 2005 (2004 chassis) is still going strong. As pointed out above, keeping up with the maintenance is the secret, somewhat regardless of the age of the MH. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #22
I bought a 2005 Travel Supreme three years ago. I put on tires and a few odd's and ends. The key is use....was it used so things have been used enough to keep things working or was it sitting so things aged...or was it over used and abused. An inspection by you and a professional eye can only tell you that. Mine has been great...apparently just enough use and no abuse. Most people that buy a new expensive coach take care of them better than their houses.
'05 TS DPusher (Model - Travel Supreme - Original)
'09 Lincoln MKX - Demco bar
"Over 35 years later....still on our honeymoon" ....Different Motorhome.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
Read some of the post of the experiences of some that have bought new coaches and the problems they have had, some not even making it home from the factory!! The years don't seem to matter if the unit has been maintained over it's life. To me the worst thing you can do to a coach or anything mechanical is to not use it and let it set for a long period of time. That's the one to stay away from in my opinion. Good luck with your purchase.

Not here for a long time, Here for a good time!!
2001 DSDP 4095. 24ft Look car hauler 2004 Excape
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote