Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours is 36' with no slide, huge kitchen, nice big office desk. We love it.

It's a matter of personal choice. Buy what you like, then enjoy it.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutof View Post
We are looking at a 38' Foretravel, we have been looking at 40', but this one is in great shape, and the price seems to be more in our budget.
We are new to RV-ing, and probably will not be able to be gone, for extended periods (1 month or more) for a few more years.
Are we going to miss the extra 2', for $30,000.00 difference in price?

Looking foward to the road!
Any advice will be appreciated!
Bill & Kim
Dodge City, Kansas
I'm a fellow neophyte, sitting in my 39 footer at a site overlooking Santa Fe as we speak, and the wife and I have so much surplus room it hurts. Of course, we've not full-timed; but, I think it would be a snap, in this rig.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We have a 38' with no slides and full-time...... Floor plan is the key... we have a H U G E Kitchen and lots of actual and real counter space... therefore we love it.....
Very difficult to find a "real" kitchen in coaches with slides.... don't understand that... as soon as they design a slide, it has NO counter space.... we love our kitchen....
Probably depends on personalities... if worried about the "space", you may need the extra 2 feet.... course, at $15,000 a foot, I'd think real hard!!!!!
Pretty much - what he said.

We fulltimed in a 30' fiver for five years, now in a 36' class A with one slide. For $15k per foot, I'd give up 2 more feet in a heartbeat.

And what IS the deal with no counter space? Don't RV designers ever cook in one of their designs? Most of the coaches we've seen hardly have room to set down a coffee cup, much less roll out biscuits! Dang! I hate that.
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutof View Post
We are new to RV-ing, and probably will not be able to be gone, for extended periods (1 month or more) for a few more years.

Are we going to miss the extra 2', for $30,000.00 difference in price?

I am sitting here thinking..... how much are you going to be using this RV before you can full time in it? Enough to be able to just whistle away the depreciation on it? If it is a newer coach, it will loose 50% value every three years for about 10 years.

You have not lived in a 40' RV, so forget that extra 2 feet. It is not worth throwing $30,000 out with the dirty dish water, because that is what you are going to do with it in depreciation value.

A "few more" means what? 3 years, or 5 years? A lot can happen to change your opinion of "what fits your needs" between now and then.

It really does come down to the most important thing you can think of, Floorplan X three. Length is NOT the answer, width and livability is.

John
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We have a 38' with no slides and full-time...... Floor plan is the key... we have a H U G E Kitchen and lots of actual and real counter space... therefore we love it.....
Very difficult to find a "real" kitchen in coaches with slides.... don't understand that... as soon as they design a slide, it has NO counter space.... we love our kitchen....
Probably depends on personalities... if worried about the "space", you may need the extra 2 feet.... course, at $15,000 a foot, I'd think real hard!!!!!
..........You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm glad to see someone else enjoys the nice roomy kitchen we have with plenty of counter space. For the two of us, it's exactly what we looked for and thought we would never find it. I bet the people who had our motorhome really miss it.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The big kitchen was what sold me on our coach too. I agree w the others that floorplan is key. If you like the layout 2' more or less makes no difference whatsoever.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
........ My DW loves the floorplan. So, consider all of that, not just the length.
In the partial quote above, is there any key point that you recognize?

Happy hunting.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
$30,000 for 16 square feet. That is almost $2,000 per sq ft you are avoiding.

I agree with others, if the floor plan works get the coach.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #23

38 ft Foretravel

Post your question here:
http://www.foreforums.com/index.php

Your will find unparalleled assistance from that forum and from the Foretravel factory.
Some late model Foretravels have and need tag axles and have consolidated a lot of hydraulic and electrical equipment in on storage bay. Both will reduce your basement storage.
If you find a floor plan in a Foretravel that meets your needs, go for it.
Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 38' with 3 slides (bedroom has opposed slides since bed is mounted transversely). We actually have more room than we need. The extra feet give us a "retreat" in the bedroom that has a pull out table and 2 barrel chairs. This allows one to go there and have some solitude if needed. We haven't need it yet. As stated above, it is the floor plan that makes or breaks the coach and dictates what length you can live with.
Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote