Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #29

This has my interest peaked even though I have no iron in the fire. The Magnuson-Moss act protects the consumer from a warranty denial based on using used or recycled parts or a non-oem part as long as it does not affect performance. In other words you can have your vehicle repaired anywhere as long as the parts used keep it running and performing as the manufacturer intended. It does not protect you when you alter the performance by changing the fuel delivery, timing or shift points. As I read it, a denial would be a no brainer in any court of law. Where am I wrong??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
As said before.. when "flashing" to the new program, the old Ford program is saved on the flashing device.. in the event you'd need to go back to the dealer, just reverse the flash back to factory specs..

Easy-peasy...

As for messing with the emissions.. I seriously doubt that's an issue.. this is a flash for transmission shift points.. I don't believe they mess with any of the emission related programing..
I think this is more than just transmission shift points. They advertise 40 hp increase and like 60 foot pounds. I think they make changes to the fuel mapping tables and the ignition timing.

I will say I have flashed mine and it makes a world of difference.

My rv is going on 12 years old so no warranty to worry about.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If a piston failed, it wouldn't be hard for Ford to show that the fuel and timing settings were not approved by the company and too much heat from those settings caused the piston to fail. Then it's on the owner to prove otherwise. I agree that the 5 tune improves the performance, but if the increased performance was a proven and reliable improvement, why wouldn't Ford build them that way. What is stopping them from doing it unless emissions is the problem. Contact Ford and ask if they will warranty your engine if it has a 5 star tune. Let us know what they say.
I can pretty much tell you what they will say without calling, NO! I seriously doubt a 5 Star could or would cause engine damage. There are hundreds if not thousands of tunes on the road and I have never heard of one causing damage. The V-10 engine is pretty strong so I don't worry about engine problems and like so many others I like the difference in power, especially when merging on a freeway. I installed my tune because I have confidence in the company and intend to keep it!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #32

I don't doubt that it improves performance. If I had a gas MH, I would probably have one too. The V10 is a tough engine, and I can only guess that with the 5 tune mod, the engine would not pass emission when under power. Does the company claim that it will pass emission when under load?? If it doesn't, are the users in violation of the law everytime they drive it?? This is all hypothetical, as they will probably never be checked. Just a thought.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
2016 f53 5 star

I had purchased a 5 star tuner for my 2015 f53 5 speed . When it was installed and road tested I was very impressed . More power excellent shifting and performance. So when i traded my 2015 for 2016 with 6 speed even though Ford dropped Hp rating for 2016 , I thought no problem the 5star will bring back up and have the benefits of the 6 speed trans . Well I am somewhat dissatisfied . I have loaded and unloaded the 5 star tune to compare with factory and 5 star and I agree it may effect the shift performance but I don't feel that boost I felt when I installed on my 2015 . There are dyno results for the 2015 but I have yet to see any for 2016-2018 even though I have repeatedly emailed Chris at 5 star with no response . When I questioned before purchase of the Tune I was told oh yeah Dyno results are coming . So far the only things is a Youtube video with the shifting video. So last week I updated from the web , my SCT and reloaded thinking Ok here we go heres the performance . So far 1000 miles into my summer adventure I don't feel the 40 hp . Anyone out there with a 2016 and up, got any input?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
I had purchased a 5 star tuner for my 2015 f53 5 speed . When it was installed and road tested I was very impressed . More power excellent shifting and performance. So when i traded my 2015 for 2016 with 6 speed even though Ford dropped Hp rating for 2016 , I thought no problem the 5star will bring back up and have the benefits of the 6 speed trans . Well I am somewhat dissatisfied . I have loaded and unloaded the 5 star tune to compare with factory and 5 star and I agree it may effect the shift performance but I don't feel that boost I felt when I installed on my 2015 . There are dyno results for the 2015 but I have yet to see any for 2016-2018 even though I have repeatedly emailed Chris at 5 star with no response . When I questioned before purchase of the Tune I was told oh yeah Dyno results are coming . So far the only things is a Youtube video with the shifting video. So last week I updated from the web , my SCT and reloaded thinking Ok here we go heres the performance . So far 1000 miles into my summer adventure I don't feel the 40 hp . Anyone out there with a 2016 and up, got any input?
WOW!!! I was thinking I might be the only guy that didn't like the flash!!! I too have a 2017 Thor 29.3/F53 V10 3V, 6 speed transmission chassis. Same things you have already mentioned. The transmission shifting is worse with the 5 Star, it wants to get the trans into a higher gear to soon. And when I step on the gas to down shift, the first try nothing happens. I have let up and then stomp on the gas pedal again and then it will shift down. By then though, I have lost like 10 to 15 mph. Makes for a difficult time getting onto the freeway. I called and was told they will work on a flash for my uint. But..... no email or call..... It's been a couple of weeks now. I am now back to the stock tune because I was getting "Check engine" lights now. Bought a OBD to see what was going on and the codes were across the board. Misfire, cat, gas cap, etc. 7 codes in all. So something is up with the new Ford set up. Might ask for my money back if they can't get something to me here shortly.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvdman View Post
Do some states require emission testing on RV's ?
Yes Washington does, although not on my '09 DP.

And the Moss Magnuson Act covers ANY modification done or part installed. Legally the manufacturer must do a teardown and positively prove the modification caused the damage. But usually they deny coverage and force you to sue then. That usually costs more than the damage so the customer gives up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes Washington does, although not on my '09 DP.
CA too...
Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
You cannot shift manually and achieve the same results...there is no 4th gear position for manual shifting.
The 5 Star shift strategy utilizes 4th gear when it downshifts compared to the stock 5-3 downshift...this is one reason the MH is quieter. My MH shifts and accelerates like an SUV on the on ramps, and maintains OD on grades and small hills....it would not do this with the stock shift strategy.
Tow haul will let you get to 4th. Do it too much as it reduces gas milage.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tremendous improvement with 5 star tune. wouldn't do without it.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #39

Some thoughts:

There is no doubt in my mind (and I have years of background on this subject) that the OE is in a good position to restrict the warranty if they became aware that a hot flash was applied AND there was significant damage to the engine / transmission or customer complaints on driveability.

They only would get involved if the vehicle was covered under a limited time warranty or OE service contract or a customer complaint lodged against the dealership.

Neither the OE or the dealer is in the position to intentionally want to get into a discussion about it as customer satisfaction actually is important to both.

It's not easy to balance performance, driveability, economy, emissions, durability when calibrating engine and transmission settings. The aftermarket is playing with a different set of rules (ie: no emissions certification needs). That's why Ford doesn't deliver the vehicle with the "hot flash" from the factory. It's not that they don't have the smart engineers and tuners readily available that "know the secrets". Keep in mind, these are the same engineers that many times race in the spare time and coach the racers on the tricks to make that product look good at the finish line. But that's a different set of rules.

Personally, I wouldn't put a hot flash on a vehicle in warranty. Too much to risk. Out of warranty? I am considering it myself. It's just a matter of how much do I want to invest in this 2000....

And, when you go to the dealership...be nice. And don't brag about how much power the aftermarket tune provided before the problem...

For my selfish interests...would be good to get a sense of which model years of F53 have good results with the Five Star Tune, and which have challenges.

I suspect the additional transmission speeds, the three port cylinder heads in the later model years are demarcation points of where the tune might help more or less. Not to mention that the tune calibrations themselves have more maturity on older vehicles.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had 5 Star tune in 2 V10s. $400 invested, plus another $100 for second V10. No mpg improvement. Very slight performance improvement 10 hp?
Would not come out of 5th unless I gave it a lot of gas. Too much, wasting fuel. Sold for $200. Never again.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting, Washington has a RV emissions test? Never have seen a test in Wa. I can feel the extra power pulling a mountain pass and see a 2gallon per hour increase in fuel flow. Holds for a down shift on rolling freeway driving. I believe in being proactive on hills so I shift before speed drop. Temps for both motor and trans stay within factory specs as do RPM. Although don't have 40' now 32' I can stay with or out run the DPers until 5000' level when I have lost boost(I have non) and they do. By down shifting the trans on down hill I can hold speed on 6% but must brake a bit on the longer 7% grades. I do tow most of the time. Only V10 failure I have heard of was a new rig pulling the first hill and having a catastrophic failure, but it was delivered from the factory. Might see a slight increase in MPG but if you have power you use it and extra power uses fuel.

LEN
Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Some thoughts:

There is no doubt in my mind (and I have years of background on this subject) that the OE is in a good position to restrict the warranty if they became aware that a hot flash was applied AND there was significant damage to the engine / transmission or customer complaints on driveability.

They only would get involved if the vehicle was covered under a limited time warranty or OE service contract or a customer complaint lodged against the dealership.

Neither the OE or the dealer is in the position to intentionally want to get into a discussion about it as customer satisfaction actually is important to both.

It's not easy to balance performance, driveability, economy, emissions, durability when calibrating engine and transmission settings. The aftermarket is playing with a different set of rules (ie: no emissions certification needs). That's why Ford doesn't deliver the vehicle with the "hot flash" from the factory. It's not that they don't have the smart engineers and tuners readily available that "know the secrets". Keep in mind, these are the same engineers that many times race in the spare time and coach the racers on the tricks to make that product look good at the finish line. But that's a different set of rules.

Personally, I wouldn't put a hot flash on a vehicle in warranty. Too much to risk. Out of warranty? I am considering it myself. It's just a matter of how much do I want to invest in this 2000....

And, when you go to the dealership...be nice. And don't brag about how much power the aftermarket tune provided before the problem...

For my selfish interests...would be good to get a sense of which model years of F53 have good results with the Five Star Tune, and which have challenges.

I suspect the additional transmission speeds, the three port cylinder heads in the later model years are demarcation points of where the tune might help more or less. Not to mention that the tune calibrations themselves have more maturity on older vehicles.
I'm thinking any new 6 speed trans with the 3V V10 might not be a good choice yet for a 5 Star tune. They are giving me the impression that all they did is "piggyback" the stock tune and made a couple of timing adjustments. And for what ever reason, the transmission has worse shifting. If more poster's here would mention what year and transmission they have, we might have a better idea which one work and which ones don't. Mine is a 2017.