Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
True-
But the O.P.had better come in to Washington through Idaho (also 75'), because the limit in Oregon is only 50' (60 with special permit)!
So every tractor trailer unit in Oregon is operating illegally I guess!
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
So every tractor trailer unit in Oregon is operating illegally I guess!

Can you spell "Commercial Truck"?

If so, do look up the differences between rules for them and for RV's...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
If your starting off new with a rig that big, please take a oversized/rv/truck driving course or atleast go to the DMV and get a book for the CDL test and read it

Good luck and safe travels!!!
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #18

Ed brings up several excellent thoughts above and I'll toss in one more. PLAN AHEAD where you'll get your fuel. Many standard service stations now sell Diesel as well as Petrol. But the actual pump locations are not level with the street in front. Your front wheels will easily make the grade, its everything behind where it can get darned interesting. One Standard Oil station in South Medford 'famous' for MH 'hang ups.' I can only imagine what it costs to get one of those things 'extricated.'
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #19

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I guess you will come pay the ticket if he gets stopped over length. You never know when you will find a LEO that is looking to stir the pot.

Ken
FYI, Recreational vehicles are not CMVs subject to Federal size regulations states can increase federal regulations, but not restrict except on specific roadways for safety reasons.

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #20

Not only state parks, but you may find length problems with more than a few commercial parks as well. There's a book available somewhere that lists RV parks that cater to "Big Rigs". Yours sounds nice, enjoy it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
.... You are long and with that length you will be limited to sites in certain (mostly state parks) You will have to deal with the trailer in some manner. Many locations have parking areas for trailers....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The laws in most states are different regarding length and number of towed vehicles and trailers.
Most states you can only tow one vehicle or trailer. I see many MH with a jeep behind them, and the jeep is towing a trailer.
Most of these laws were made before MH got so large. I'm not even sure the cops know they exist or care.
If your not speeding or give a reason to get pulled over. We are usually lady alone no matter what is behind us. That's my experience.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been towing with motor homes and enclosed trailers for about 21 years. I have never been "under 65 foot". I have NEVER been stopped or even asked about length.
I feel it is a Commercial regulation, especially if you are commercial hauling a long load that requires a permit and thus a regulation for that permit.

I did buy a $15 overlength permit two years ago in Florida because I heard they were going to target race rigs as they thought since we race for money we should be considered a "commercial enterprise". In the end, it was a farce, we are not commercial. Yes some NASCAR teams are commercial and fall under DOT guidelines.

Back to getting your first "big coach". Take it out to a big parking lot. Set up some simple markers or cones. Practice driving between them, how close you can get to them when turning with the rear tires and backing up between them. You will quickly LEARN the feel of the coach. Take it in small steps and you will be fine. You simply have to be more alert and pay attention when driving a 30,000-lb rig on today's roads with all the "texting" and "cell phone" fools at the wheel beside you on the road.

Getting a CDL License book from your local DMV is a good idea. It explains the sir brakes, certain tests they are required to have, etc.

I have my Class A CDL, air brake endorsement, passenger endorsement, School Bus endorsement and a current DOT Medical Card. I also keep a LogBook of my travels by the hour and mile. IF the DOT stops me I can show them I am "trying to meet the safety rules of a CDL even though I am not required to have one".

Safe travels,
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
to answer your question, 65 ft is the limit for a truck trailer combo in most states. you can go to DOT regulations on a state by state basis, they are all published on the net. Most states that are less are out east.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
FYI, Recreational vehicles are not CMVs subject to Federal size regulations states can increase federal regulations, but not restrict except on specific roadways for safety reasons.

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
We just got our class A (non-CHL) in Texas and the requirements for an RV are the same as commercial....max combined length is 65'. ..RV or commercial.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many states 65 combined is it. OR 60' Ca 65'. Just quoting from brand new documentation received two days ago.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My combined length is 71 feet. I have traveled 30,000 miles from California up to Alaska, back to CA, over to Florida, up to NY, back to Florida and then cross country back to Alaska and now back to California.

We have been through 27 states and three Canadian Providences. I have not been stopped once as yet. I drive safely at ALL times and drive defensively because there are many people that are only worried about themselves and think that they OWN the road.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a big rig driving course though since you are a newbie. It is not for the faint at heart and you have to think ahead ALL of the time while behind the wheel. You have to pick and choose your fueling stops, lunch stops and rest stops carefully. Easy in easy out is the most important.

Regarding RV parks, etc. your combined size will limit you but I have not had any problem ever.

We carry everything we own so our weight is high, combined coach and trailer is 48,000 lb's therefore your diesel mileage will suffer. When the terrain is mountainous, we get 6.5 mpg. When we drive the flatland's we can get as high as 8.5.

When driving any of the Interstates, since they are federally funded, your length is governed by the rules and regulations of what state your driver's license and your domicile is from.

I am licensed and domiciled in Alaska. The overall length for that state is 75 feet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
When driving any of the Interstates, since they are federally funded, your length is governed by the rules and regulations of what state your driver's license and your domicile is from.
I believe you'll find that the Driver License Compact (being replaced by the Driver License Agreement) doesn't extend the concept of reciprocity to equipment regulations - including length. The state regulations through which one is traveling always apply in those cases. For instance, just because I can tow double legally in Texas doesn't mean that I can in the other 49 states.

You pay your money and you take your chances. Just because vehicle length enforcement may not be a LEO's #1 priority doesn't mean that he/she CAN'T enforce it should the situation warrant. One may get away with an overlength rig for a long time, but should the day come that one gets called on it, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted by Rusty, the states accept your drivers license and class, however, you do have to abide buy the road laws for the state you travel through....these include weight, number of items towed, length and speed limits for your class of vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote