Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned weight. If you're loading up the trailer you need to be sure you're not exceeding the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) = the maximum total weight that your motorhome can handle. So before entering into that deal I would get the MH weighed and work out how much you can safely haul.

Other than that length will be an issue in many parks, especially public parks. You'll have more options in private parks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an iPhone. There is an app RV REF. this app among other information, it list the limitations of Rv length, trailer and total legal length by state. Handy information. I hope this helps.
Rick

Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned weight. If you're loading up the trailer you need to be sure you're not exceeding the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) = the maximum total weight that your motorhome can handle. So before entering into that deal I would get the MH weighed and work out how much you can safely haul.

Other than that length will be an issue in many parks, especially public parks. You'll have more options in private parks.

I and a lot of others were assuming weight is a given and the owner knew enough to stay under the coaches weight rating. I am glad you pointed this out as you know what assuming does to everyone.

Ken
Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
It's gonna be tough finding a Cracker Barrel RV space that fits.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #33

As you can see mine is at about 72ft. I have been all over the east coast no problems. It seems like any other rig I have driven the more you drive it the easier it gets.You just have to seek out the CGS that have long pull thru.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #34

Thanks so much for all of your advice and Tips. They have been very helpful!
Mark has a current CDL and is an experienced driver. I would love to take a training course. We are currently in UT but we have dreams of heading to the Gulf Coast. The plan is to only move the Rig a handful of times a year. It would not be a triple pull. The bikes and run-around vehicle will be in the trailer—getting something that can move the trailer is a fabulous idea. I would love to find the book on RV Parks that cater to Big Rigs if anyone has more info on it. We are looking into trading the 27’ trailer in for a 20’ Stacker which would get us down to ’65.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
If you have an iPhone. There is an app RV REF. this app among other information, it list the limitations of Rv length, trailer and total legal length by state. Handy information. I hope this helps.
Rick
I have an iPhone 5 and looked for this app. I couldn't find it. Do you know the exact name or publishing company? It sound like a good app to have.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure of your weights and that the trailer brakes are functional. Leo's may not be to worried about your length, but if you ever get pulled over or are in an accident those 2 things are sure to be checked.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
The correct name for the app is. RV POCKET REFERENCE. When you down load Tap the screen for the menu on the bottom. Hit favorites. Then state law. It's pretty cool.
Rick
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #38

I thought that you abide by state registered in for total length and if you travel acroos state lines you are not breaking law as you are not registered there and dont need the permit or anything unless you are comercial...jeff
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I thought that you abide by state registered in for total length and if you travel acroos state lines you are not breaking law as you are not registered there and dont need the permit or anything unless you are comercial...jeff
As has been repeatedly stated here and elsewhere, so-called "reciprocity agreements" do NOT cover equipment/length limits. Individual States set those standards, and everyone within their borders, even temporarily, is obliged to adhere to them.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
For the most part Motorhomes don't get pulled over unless you get caught speeding . Keep your nose clean and they won't even look your way.
That isn't necessarily true. We were pulling a Jeep behind our fifth wheel in Kansas. We were pulled over by a Kansas Trooper and he measured us at 3 feet over length (total of 68 feet). He made us unhook the Jeep and since my wife couldn't drive a stick shift, we had to leave it 250 miles from the Oklahoma border, leave the camper in Oklahoma, and drive 250 miles back to pull it back with our pickup.

If you get stopped for being over lenght, they will make you unhook and leave it there! Maybe if we had been an overlength motor home, they wouldn't have stopped us.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
That isn't necessarily true. We were pulling a Jeep behind our fifth wheel in Kansas. We were pulled over by a Kansas Trooper and he measured us at 3 feet over length (total of 68 feet). He made us unhook the Jeep and since my wife couldn't drive a stick shift, we had to leave it 250 miles from the Oklahoma border, leave the camper in Oklahoma, and drive 250 miles back to pull it back with our pickup.

If you get stopped for being over lenght, they will make you unhook and leave it there! Maybe if we had been an overlength motor home, they wouldn't have stopped us.
I'd be willing to bet that had you not been double towing, he wouldn't have even given you a second thought.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Kansas allows triple tow according to my app. However there is a 65 foot limit. You need one small tow vehicle to meet that requirement.
Sorry he made you drive all that way. I guess he was bored.