Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV towing length

I see a lot of over length RV-trailer combinations as I travel. Got this from a federally trained DOT officer. Nation wide there is a 65' limit on a tractor and trailer and $100 a foot fine. You can get permits as you enter each state. DOT is usually so busy they only stop "Commercial" and that includes any RV with a commercial name on the RV or trailer. Florida really hit the race car trailers a few years ago and now only go after ones with the big commercial supporters painted ads. Each state has a web site and a federal web where you can check on all those numbers.
CityOnA-Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
From someone that HAS experience in over length ....we are 75'....just use good common sense and things will work fine.
Sums this thread up and puts it in a nut shell!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Just an observation...why do people have trouble obeying the law?

Ken
Ken, you have never driven over the speed limit? Can you say that you have never broken any laws in your life or travels? Just wondering.....
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Ken, you have never driven over the speed limit? Can you say that you have never broken any laws in your life or travels? Just wondering.....
I can't speak for Ken, but I know I haven't...my only real fault is that I'm a congenital liar.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #61
Community Administrator

Lets get back on topic , please.

Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I can't speak for Ken, but I know I haven't...my only real fault is that I'm a congenital liar.

X2

Now back on topic....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnA-Hill View Post
I see a lot of over length RV-trailer combinations as I travel. Got this from a federally trained DOT officer. Nation wide there is a 65' limit on a tractor and trailer and $100 a foot fine. You can get permits as you enter each state. DOT is usually so busy they only stop "Commercial" and that includes any RV with a commercial name on the RV or trailer. Florida really hit the race car trailers a few years ago and now only go after ones with the big commercial supporters painted ads. Each state has a web site and a federal web where you can check on all those numbers.
Hopefully, this thread will get back on track and stay with non-commercial vehicles as they have different rules.

The ones above do not apply to commercial vehicles and there is no nationwide limit on vehicle length for non-commercial vehicles. That is left up to the states.

The reason many people are not following the letter of the law can be do to regulations not keeping up with the changing market. What happens in many of these cases is law enforcement does enforce laws that they know have not kept up with the times. They have better things to spend their time on than worry about some RV folks being a few feet over length. IF this was a serious problem and public safety was affected it would get some attention.

Rigs have gotten bigger as well as tow vehicles and the 65' limit is no longer realistic. As many folks have said with tons of experience is that these limits are rarely if every enforced.

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
Hopefully, this thread will get back on track and stay with non-commercial vehicles as they have different rules.

The ones above do not apply to commercial vehicles and there is no nationwide limit on vehicle length for non-commercial vehicles. That is left up to the states.

The reason many people are not following the letter of the law can be do to regulations not keeping up with the changing market. What happens in many of these cases is law enforcement does enforce laws that they know have not kept up with the times. They have better things to spend their time on than worry about some RV folks being a few feet over length. IF this was a serious problem and public safety was affected it would get some attention.

Rigs have gotten bigger as well as tow vehicles and the 65' limit is no longer realistic. As many folks have said with tons of experience is that these limits are rarely if every enforced.

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
I totally agree with you. There are hundreds if not thousands of RVer's who are over length and don't know it. If you rig is 40 feet and you are towing a SUV or something other than a CRV, you are most likely over 65 feet in length when you measure from the nose of the rig to the rear bumper of the car while hooked up. That includes the long tow-bar between the two vehicles. If your rig is 42-45 feet long, then you are definitely over-length regardless of what you tow unless you are using a Smart car or a Mini-Cooper.

I was worried at one point when I first started out on the road with my 41 foot Windsor and 30 foot Pace cargo trailer. After seeing hundreds of rigs longer than mine while traveling around North America, I gave up worrying about it. I drive conservatively and courteously allowing others to go around me when needed. I ALWAYS have my rig under control with all road conditions.

If I do get stopped, I will deal with it then and suffer the consequences.

Safe travels to everyone.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have travelled to a lot races over the last 20 years and have been overlength by varying amounts every trip.
I have been stopped three times. Once in Georgia, Indiana and Oklahoma.
I have also pulled in to four different Interstate Weigh Stations. (Actually to get a true weight and see if they even wanted me to stop.)
1. Georgia: THe DOT officer was spending a few days stopping different rigs that might be carrying large quantities of race fuel. His comment, I just need to know how much fuel you are carrying and how is it secured. When I showed him is was 25 gallons in DOT-approved containers that were in basically a metal box with no lid and a metal bar ran through the handles; he said "Thanks for hauling the right way and what kind of car is that?"
2. Indiana: He told me he thought he seen a safety chain hanging loose. It wasn't but he grilled me pretty good on whether I was a commercial venture or private since I had a CDL license. I told him I was not paid to deliver or attend any race, it was a private venture and an expensive hobby.
He walked around the entire rig; 38' coach, 2' Trailer Toad, 5' trailer tongue and 32' trailer. He never mentioned length but he wanted to see avery light work and the trailer brakes, break-away switch as well. He was the first one I asked about having a CDL. I showed him a logbook I kept, for my own reasons, and he really liked that I recorded my "pre-trip" inspections, the fire extinguisher location was marked and I had safety triangles and extra fuses in an emergency kit. We spent tenty minutes discussing how the Trailer Toad worked.
3.Oklahoma: All he did was check to see how I stored fuel and if my safety chains were at least 5/16" transport rated chains. He also wantd to make sure the Trailer Toad was not a trailer because I couldn;t "tow a double" unless one is a 5th wheel. 10 minutes later I left and he had a Trailer Toad brochure in his pocket for his truck camper he towed a boat with.

If you are safe, treat your equipment like it is a big rig (fire extinguishers, flares, etc) and you can show them when they ask...I DO NOT see them wanting to battle the AARP in court when it comes to motor home lengths.

Never got a fine, a warning, nothing. I think they are just curious sometimes,

Travel Safe...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
The only person I know that received a ticket for over length was in CA and he was speeding. CA has a 65' total limit and the speed limit on interstates is 55mph when towing. 55mph can be tough for some of us. They made him park the trailer at the border. He borrowed a dually and went back and towed the trailer over the CA/AZ border and then connected it back to the motorhome and proceeded on.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

The only person I know that received a ticket for over length was in CA and he was speeding. CA has a 65' total limit and the speed limit on interstates is 55mph when towing. 55mph can be tough for some of us. They made him park the trailer at the border. He borrowed a dually and went back and towed the trailer over the CA/AZ border and then connected it back to the motorhome and proceeded on.

That sounds like it was in the area of southern CA where many people travel to and from the Glamis recreation area with ALL of their TOYS.

The CHP are always there when either coming or going to hand out more than their quota of tickets to anyone who even looks suspicious.

You won't find me within 200 miles of that area.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote