Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Is 70' Overall Length too long?

We are starting out new (and we mean New) pursuing a full time MH lifestyle. We have found a sound used MH at a reasonable price (Newmar 41) and it comes with a 27 enclosed trailer (matching paint scheme) putting the overall length approx. 70. Our plan is to haul a cruiser motorcycle, Can-Am Spyder and a compact car. This trailer would be ideal for our purpose but worry about the combined length.
We would like to know if this kind of overall length is worth doing or will the pain outweigh the positives. What obstacles will run into at RV facilities. Our plan is to spend a month or more at a location and explore the area on the Bikes.
We have already learned so much from the RV Forums and are looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV 2. Sounds like you're going to have fun. There are a few things to consider for a set up that large. I'm sure some of our members with experience in this will pop in.
Here is a recent thread in this subject.

vehicle length & other restrictions

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Depending on where you travel, you may encounter problems with overall length. Some States' limits are below 70'.

Here's one guide- don't know how up-to-date it is but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about: RV/Towing Laws by State
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Couple of things just came to mind as I read this. You are long and with that length you will be limited to sites in certain (mostly state parks) You will have to deal with the trailer in some manner. Many locations have parking areas for trailers. (use a tongue lock and a chain/cable through the wheels cause they will get missing)
Manuvering in town, especially right turns, may be a bit tricky as well.

You are heavy with three vehicles so milage will likely suffer as well.

Your plan is a good one. We like to do the same thing, usually try to stay at least a couple of weeks, depending on the area we are wanting to explore. You could easily spend an entire summer in the Cody/Yellowstone area for example.
Have fun and welcome to iRV2. BTW where are you from/basing ?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

Soo true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Depending on where you travel, you may encounter problems with overall length. Some States' limits are below 70'.

Here's one guide- don't know how up-to-date it is but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about: RV/Towing Laws by State
For something this (total) long I'd strongly recommend you take some 'commercial driver' training. Even just towing a car behind a 41 footer you'll be over 50 feet and then adding another 20 to that? Understand the need to have your 'stuff' but ......
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Combined length I would not worry about if you are private. With just a toad, I am 65'. I have friend with 27' stacker behind a 45' and goes everywhere.
My simple rule, never use a trailer to haul the toys unless you have something in it that can move it a few feet to a couple of miles, that is if you want to be independent and not rely on others to move it for you. If you know all of your destinations/stops on the trip(s) and have arrangements made to get the trailer to storage, prior to stops, then OK. I like to be a bit independent in my travels, that is what RVing is about...JMHO...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Combined length I would not worry about if you are private. .JMHO...
I guess you will come pay the ticket if he gets stopped over length. You never know when you will find a LEO that is looking to stir the pot.

Ken
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi mark,
I was just wondering if you have any experience in this kind of driving.IMHO I would think you would need to take a few driving courses to get use to the weight and the stopping will definitely be a hole different issue.Good luck and be Safe and Happy in all your travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

For the most part Motorhomes don't get pulled over unless you get caught speeding . Keep your nose clean and they won't even look your way.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=doc;1420902]You are heavy with three vehicles so milage will likely suffer as well.
I certainly hope the OP was talking about hauling the car, within the trailer. If actually towing two vehicles (trailer and car) he is not only over the limit in most states, but also illegal in just about all states. Certainly, illegal in Florida.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA is 75' so it'd be OK here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
WA is 75' so it'd be OK here.
True-
But the O.P.had better come in to Washington through Idaho (also 75'), because the limit in Oregon is only 50' (60 with special permit)!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

I have been RV towing heavy stackers with everything from Truck conversions 45' pulling 36' stackers with 7' tongues, well over 90 foot long, to my present rig which is a 42' CC and a 32' Gold Rush all aluminum stacker, which is 79' overall. I have never had a problem with length laws in any state from Texas east to Fl. I also never pull in any weigh stations, and always drive reasonable. My stacker weighs 20,000 pounds with 2 race cars, 2 golf carts, and many parts and tools. It is a little tuff sometimes to park, other than that, no problems.
Good luck
Jerry
06 CC Intrigue
525 Cat
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

Not sure you need to let people scare you away from the 70 feet but just be aware to stay out of California and maybe couple other states but not sure. If you run up and down the highway much you will see many racing people with motorhomes and truck conversions pulling trailers. My rig is 46 ft and I tow a suburban behind me. You can figure how long I am with the tow bar. I have not had any problems traveling thru many states.
With that said being the driver of this train needs to think ahead as you make turns in town, backing up (with trailer you can, I cant with a tow bar), Make sure you do a pretrip inspection all times along with every few hundred miles do a walk around.
If it was me, I would have a small suv in the trailer it if for any reason the suv could pull the trailer thru a state or as needed.
Not sure what your driving experience has been and what you are comfortable driving. Maybe you can test drive the mh with trailer to get a feel with the owner guiding you.
Good luck