Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #1

Is a Cobra Monterey 23' a Good Buy?

Someone in my area is selling a Cobra Monterey M230 Limited (23ft) that has 41,000 miles on it. It looks great in and out and has a lot of upgrades. The owner is asking $7995.

Does this make and model have a good reputation? Does the asking price seem like a good one? It seems so to me but I am very new to the world of motorhomes. Any insight you have will be appreciated.
Newrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

In the sub $10,000 market the price (and value) has very little to do with make and model. It's all about condition. If it's truly in great shape, it might be worth that price. (Might not too.)

That said, is it a 1994 or 1995? You didn't mention year. I see mentions online of M230 about that time. If it is, chassis wise that's a decent year. It'd have a fuel injected V8 and a 4 speed transmission. Both Chevy and Ford switched from carbureted 3 speeds in the early 90's. Not new enough to have a slide, but that's hard to find under $10,000.

Good luck.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #3

Hello Tim,
Thanks of your reply. It is being listed as a 1994 Cobra Monterey, although the Nada Guides only show the M230 Limited 23' for that year, with an 'Average Retail Value" of $10,300. It has the Chevy 454 fuel injected engine. Seems like a good deal for getting into our first motorhome, small enough for easy driving and parking and large enough for the basic amenities.. I'm having a mechanic do an evaluation of the rig today.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

1994 Cobra Monterey M230. I was looking at about the right thing. 23' is short. Floorplan is key to enjoying a motorhome, be sure you like it.

Also worth mentioning is that buying the RV is only the price of admission so to speak. You COULD spend thousands more getting it roadworthy, or worse, thousands for an on road repair due to a breakdown. Some folks say to double your initial cost as a good guess of what you really might spend.

I read your other posts about the other motorhome you were looking at. I assume your intention with this one would be the same, that is, drive it from California to North Carolina and possibly sell it there? Have you considered renting? It may seem expensive up front, but depending on a motorhome you just bought is risky. With a rental, it's the rental company's problem. Phone call, little waiting, and back on your way. Good way to learn if you like motorhomes too.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

I did consider renting, but the only company that had the pickup and drop off locations we needed was CruiseAmerica, and they have a terrible reputation for breakdowns and the worst of the worst customer service. Many reports of promises that their vehicles had been checked out only to have them break down from lack of maintenance. It really seems like less of a risk to choose a well-maintained rv with low miles in an easy-to-afford price range that gets the thumbs up after a thorough mechanical check. If it checks out good, and like you said if I like the layout, then I will buy it.