Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Well.....I've had a truck/camper, Class C, Class A Gas and 2 DP's. I don't necessarily think there is as big a difference in ride between a DP and a Class A gasser as there was years ago. Yes, the most expensive Prevost and the cheapest gasser will be far apart, but the difference between a $300K DP and a $130K gasser just isn't that big. My DP glides on a smooth rode and is like riding on a cloud, but on a rough road, it will transmit every pot hole and seam.

If you don't need to carry the weight, have to have a bunch of extra amenities or the need to be riding around in something fancier than you need, the modern Class A gassers are a good choice. In reading the OP's post, I think it would be foolish to buy a DP for the way he intends to use it, especially since they plan on buying another down the road.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
On a Diesel, if you don't do your own maintenance and trouble shoot, it could be costly rapidly. It seems to me that many shops don't know how to troubleshoot and try to s... you in for more money.

My preference goes for Diesel for many reasons as I do most of my maintenance and if I have a problem I cannot figure out, I do a lot of reshearch before going to a shop.

They are smooth running engine, they have lots of torque and do not rev up as much as a gasser, they wisper far from the back. DP come standard with air bag suspension and 22.5 inch tires. The ride is smoother. They have quiet diesel generator. They are normally better on MPG for the same size MH.

The rest of the MH, diesel or gas of comparable value, is not more complicated or harder to maintain.

Monaco Cayman 34 PDD 2003 Cummins ISB 300 HP on a roadmaster, 5 speed Allison.
kidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
We had a Class C for ~10 years. It served us well but we needed something bigger so we traded up for a DP with 2 slides. The DP is definitely more livable with lots of cabinet & basement storage. We also now pull a Jeep GC.

I do my own maintenance with both the Class C and Class A. Only a couple of things that I had to take it to a shop for. Because of the complexity I know that the DP has and will cost us more then the Class C but is worth the additional cost.

Just did my annual oil & filter(s) change today. Took the time to do a good inspection and also cleaned the engine with a degreaser. I consider the DP my hobby and do enjoy traveling in it and keeping it running.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
To directly answer your question, a diesel pusher is not for everyone. Given the small amount of days you will use it, I would get a gas engine. This is not because the diesel engine needs to be run. This is because a diesel costs considerably more to purchase and you are not using it enough to justify those costs. If money was no object, I would go with the diesel. However, if you are on a budget, I would stick with a gas coach. I really like my diesel but we put about 10,000 miles per year on it and are often gone for over a week at a time.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Is a Diesel Pusher right for everybody?

Probably. Been happy with our two diesel pushers. Plenty of power. Shut it down for 6 months then start it and go again. No Problems Here.
Bill & Wanda Bell
2013 Thor Tuscany 40FX - 2012 Honda CR-V Toad
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #20
W/o a doubt not for everyone

Most state 10,000-15,000 miles a year or more and a DP is worthwhile from a cost standpoint. Better mpg negates the added service fees

I will probably only put a few thousand miles a year on my RV, hopefully buy this spring once the divorce is done (gas RV is hers) .... I plan on getting a DP. I want the added power for going up hills, ease at the pump being able to look for truck stops vs if I can fit in a gas station and the ability to tow more, motorcycles and pull my jeep.

The only complaint I had with my gas RV which was a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P is it lacked power going up any hill. Zero issues with the ride, handling and noise..... Possibly the 30-35ft Gas RV's didn't have the lack of power troubles.

NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote