Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We don't full time but use our coach for about 6 months out of the year. We absolutely love our stacked washer and dryer. When we were looking to upgrade and get a larger, nicer coach a W/D was not on our must have list. However, now that we have it, there would be no going back.
Me too. Wouldn't leave home without it.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought our new Tiffin, the DW said she didn't want a W/D, but the coach came with a stacked combo. Now it's the same thing as after the first time I booked a balcony room on a cruise ship. There's no going back!

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
epj

Just recently purchased a newer coach that is equipped with one of the combo units. DW loves it. She was investigating getting one installed in the old coach that did not have provisions for one. Yes, the loads are sort of small and they take a while. Not really an issue though.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #32

Is a washer dryer worth having?

Anyone can justify this pro or con and be happy.
So..... My turn.
In rough numbers....
A Splendide Double is about $1000. It takes 40 minutes to wash, 90 to dry. I'll assume a 10 lb load.
We spend 90 minutes every 3 weeks and always at a fine laundry. About 10 bucks for a 60 lb load. Each year is 26 hours and $173.
The Splendide will do 60 lbs in about 780 minutes of machine run time vs 78 for the laundry. So, the break-even on ROI is....
That much said, I choose not to complete the synopsis.
However, the ROI on my wood carving tools will always be negative, as my "art" all ends up looking like a stick.
Y'all's enjoy your toys. I do!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
We went out last year (our first MH experience) without the W/D or Dishwasher. We found nice laundromats that will do your laundry for you. You pay extra of course but since we have the extra storage we can carry enough clothes to last us several weeks. Laundromats are reviewed as posted earlier and we found prices between $60 and $25 for 3 to 4 weeks of laundry washed and folded. At those prices we figured we can do a lot of laundry for the cost of an installed W/D.

We installed a counter top Dishwasher where the oven was this last winter and it is great. Neither one of us can stand at the sink very long to do a load of dishes without back pain setting in. This is the main reason we like the dishwasher.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #34

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
We found nice laundromats that will do your laundry for you. You pay extra of course but since we have the extra storage we can carry enough clothes to last us several weeks.
Maybe this suits your travel style, but we've been in plenty of places where there isn't even a decent coin laundry let alone a place that washes and folds. '

It's all in your perspective; you think it's wonderful to store extra clothes where the washer/dryer would be. We think it's great not to need that many clothes because we can wash as often as we wish. We hate having dirty clothes around particularly in warm weather.

As someone said previously, we'd never consider full-timing without a washer/dryer.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like having a W/D even though on short trips we don't use them other than to store our dirty clothes in until we return home. When we are gone for a week or more, they really come in handy. As for a dish washer, we use paper plates and plastic cups and my coach has a liquor cabinet so we really don't need one.
Nice to dry wet clothes after we get caught in a rain storm or dry a bath towel after a shower though.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm.....People that don't have one in their coach justify why they don't need one. People who do have them, love them......funny how that works. We've been RVing for almost 40 years. Our last coach, which we owned for 10 years, only had room for an all in one, which we were not interested in. When we bought the Dutch Star, the stacked unit was a must. We absolutely love doing our laundry at our leisure.

Very few new coaches come with the small all in one units, so doing the math on their value and how much they wash, really doesn't matter. Ours are apartment size and plenty big for two people to do all their laundry in one or two loads....the same quantity of loads I would do at a laundromat when you separate colors from whites.

Our coach also came with a dishwasher. We balked at it at first, but now love it. I will hold about three days of dirty dishes and then we just run it. It's soooo quiet you can hardly tell it's running. It also uses less water than filling a sink six times over three days.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A load every other day makes it simple.

For me convenience and time is worth way more than the cost of the W/D. Don't care how long the cycle takes, I'm at home. I let the MH W/D run while I'm off doing other activities.

And its nice knowing what has been washed or more importantly what hasn't been washed in our W/D. Same logic I use about my known to be clean shower vs. a possibly clean CG shower.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I would never be with out them again. Going to the laundry at places is not good and cost alot when full timing. Hal
Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #39

Having the stacker makes life easier for us. I plan out the wash schedule, and use the washer as a the dirty close hamper until I think the load is large enough to start.

I plan most of the washing on the move if possible. That way in transit, I'll also plan waste water dumps along our route. I don't use the camp ground facilities any more.

I've been the only one to use our dish washer, and that has been used for storage of the only set of hard plates we carry, and wash before using for company if used at all.

That has changed recently as DW has down sized on some of the items we carry with us, and gone to paper plates and plastic wear. So what few real knives or other
items we need to wash, will get the sink wash by one or both of us.

So dish washer we can do without, washer dryer a must have for us....

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #40

Mine came with a nice freezer where the washer and dryer goes. The previous owner would snowbird in a campground that had a laundromat and felt having a large freezer was a better use of the space. He also said some campgrounds don't let people use their washer when they are hooked up to sewage. Is that true? I have not really needed a W/D since we are never gone more than a couple weeks at a time. But I have not used the freezer either.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Mine came with a nice freezer where the washer and dryer goes. The previous owner would snowbird in a campground that had a laundromat and felt having a large freezer was a better use of the space. He also said some campgrounds don't let people use their washer when they are hooked up to sewage. Is that true? I have not really needed a W/D since we are never gone more than a couple weeks at a time. But I have not used the freezer either.
I've never been to a CG that prohibited the use of W/D. Doesn't mean they don't exist.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours came with the combo unit, we have never used it but I may do so, it could come in handy...I just never think of it. I know I would not use a dishwasher, I barely use the one I have at home. I have to force myself to do so to use it every other week or so, unless we have company.

On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote