Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #43

If you have not driven or ridden in a diesel, do so. Being able to have a conversation while driving down the road is nice.
aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #44

As far as a vehicle drive train, age/time is the enemy here. Every gasket and rubber seal is 18 years old and beyond it's design life. Just set $$ aside for repairs cause parts will fail.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #45

For someone like myself who has paid for the depreciation on a bought-brand new Dutch Star (mine is a 2003), I would have to say this: if I were to carefully inspect this one, and if the owner would reveal all damage and repair history, AND it passed my inspection, I would consider it a very good purchase. However, I also have to say that I can do all maintenance and most repairs myself.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I concur it’s not too old. Get it inspected and if all checks out, it should be good,

We go to Newmar rally’s and there are LOTS of units of this vintage and older that are still going strong.

Even if your dealer couldn’t or wouldn’t service it, Newmar will and it appears you are in Michigan, not that far from Nappanee. And their winter factory service rates are quite attractive.

Good luck
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #47

Mine is 20 years old it may not be fancy but it is cheap to maintain and everything works as it should.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #48

My Imperial just turned 18 and she runs great. Gets compliments everywhere we go. Solid cherry wood dove tailed cabinetry, top notch components, floats down the highway like a Cadillac but built like a tank.

Every appliance and electrical component, as well as the Onan generator and Cummins engine built into that coach still work great... A/C, fridge, furnace, water heater, inverter, ATS, toilet, microwave, stove top, switches, latches, etc., etc. is all original.

Friends of ours just bought a ten year old 37' 2008 Class A gasser...no comparison at all. Flimsy cabinets, rough ride, quality issues galore. They have more slides but that's about it.

Have we had some issues? Sure. The double pane windows are prone to fogging and we've had to repair three of them. The old dome satellite system was iffy at best so we upgraded to the newer open face style. But mostly it's been improving things like switching to LED's, replacing the Norcold cooling unit with the improved Amish unit, changing out the old tube TV's with flat screens and so on. They really were built better back then.

Find one that hasn't been full timed in, has been maintained properly, preferably covered or kept indoors when not in use and lovingly cared for and you won't be disappointed with a twenty year old coach. Enjoy the search!
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks 007.

Here is a link for the coach.
https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Dutch-Sta...64103-UX242915
IMO, engine is too small for that long (38 feet) and heavy (est. 29K-33K based on quality of a Dutch Star) of an RV. Also, ad says no slides, picture shows a slide? What's up with that? Fake ad? Ask the seller for the weight and if it's more than 30,000 lbs, that's too heavy for the engine.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
IMO, engine is too small for that long (38 feet) and heavy (est. 29K-33K based on quality of a Dutch Star) of an RV. Also, ad says no slides, picture shows a slide? What's up with that? Fake ad? Ask the seller for the weight and if it's more than 30,000 lbs, that's too heavy for the engine.
Actually, the vehicle shown has TWO slides, both on the driver's side. We have a 2001 DS 3891 set up similar, but with the kitchen on the driver's side, instead of on the pax side. We have the Cat instead of Cummins, both 300 hp. 29k max weight, with a NCC of 5,929 lbs which is more than adequate for us.

Although not a speed demon, we didn't purchase it to do quarters on the track. We tow a toad at about 5000lbs and load it up to the max. We've been from Key West to the Olympic Peninsula in WA State. Did we slow down in the Rockies? Sure did. Was it a problem, nope. Did we over heat on the long climbs, nary a bit. Were we passed by cars? Yup, by Semi's? Some, but you're in an RV, not a funny car!

Anyway, assuming the RV has been cared for properly and the owner has maintenance records, I would consider it if I were in the market.

On the ad, 4 year old tires . . . check date code, what they say doesn't matter.

"Electric went thru" What the heck does THAT mean?

They seem to be proud to announce that the appliances and air work . . .

"Generator rebuilt" Once again, what does that mean? Do they have paperwork to show what was done? Why did it need rebuilding? Was the rebuild done with a spray can of green paint?

"Batteries replaced for house and coach" Well, DUH, it's a 19 year old coach, of COURSE they've been replaced! But WHEN were they replaced? 2017, or 2005? Paperwork to back that up?

You get my drift. . . .

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #51

Thanks all

Thanks all for the replies,

I decided against this coach.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck in your search.🚎🚌💺🚒🚐😄
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #53

I have not read every post, but I will add, that I know folks who have much newer units than mine have have many more issues. There is a benefit to simplicity, with some of the technology in the newer systems they bring their own issues. I would look at the quality of the unit in front of you, not the age.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #54

OP - I understand that the unit you were posting about is a 'no go'.

But for you, and other's that right read this thread. IMO, a quality built Upper Mid Tier to Top Tier DP (And a few Gasser's too.), can be a great coach. A few factors:

-Condition, condition, condition
-Documentation, documentation, documentation
-Full Inspection and fluid analysis
-And, it must be a coat you like, and 'layout' wise can live with
-'Layout' wise is the key. As a High Quality, well cared for coach - is a great foundation to modify and remodel to what you want it to become

Best of luck to you on your future shopping. Now, or in 2019,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I consider that too old. The engine and drive train are probably okay, assuming they have been properly maintained, but the coach itself will be one continuous work in progress. Since you are going to have to hire the work done, it will be a long and expensive process.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #56

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
There is a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star for sale locally for 31k from a private seller.

My wife thinks its too old.

My local Newmar dealer who I have purchased my current coach from (2005 Damon gasser) told me they can service it, I enquired about service contract and they can do one.

Any thoughts?
If 18yrs is too old for a coach, then I certainly wouldn't want it for NEW either. If it was built as junk, then it remains junk for life and it's hard to fix junk. Sold a nice 18yr old gasser in 16 and would still have taken it anywhere. No matter what the fixes down the road, it's still cheaper than buying new for any owner.
As said, the proof in the pudding, is with the quality of engineering and the Dutch Star was a good one, even though I have no idea for which model you speak of, so can't give you too many thoughts.
Price is right for the 4093, even though under powered a little like most of that vintage. Like the idea of the Spartan chassis in many of the models and if yours has a side radiator, so much the better. They all have at least one slide, which is the largest single price point on any coach.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel