Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Is an 18 year old Diesel Pusher too old to consider

There is a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star for sale locally for 31k from a private seller.

My wife thinks its too old.

My local Newmar dealer who I have purchased my current coach from (2005 Damon gasser) told me they can service it, I enquired about service contract and they can do one.

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can look in this thread for people with old Newmar's with pictures and all the upgrades they are adding and down near bottom of first section to SPK64's upgrades and refurbishing of his 2002 MADP.
If you let your wife look she may get sick for a old Newmar, good luck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You can look in this thread for people with old Newmars and all the upgrades they are adding and down near bottom of first section to SPK64's upgrades and refurbishing of his 2002 MADP.
Thanks 007.

Here is a link for the coach.
https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Dutch-Sta...64103-UX242915
Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 1999 Dutch Star
That we bought 6 years ago. Had very little use stored in a barn. Over the years we repkaced Air conditioner, generator, all belts and pullies and idle arms. Just put in new fridge. New floors just because we had left over from house. Redid roof myself. Now on second set of Michlien tires. Flat screen tvs cganged all bulbs to leds. Only paid 19000. Runs great no
problems. Redid brakes just because. All in all much cheaper then new.
Good luck . This coach was totally rust free and still is. Check all maintenance records. Have mine from day one. Crawl all over top and bottom turn every dial and flip ever switch.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Not to old, many older vehicles still on the road. That one is apparently barely used. If you can service it yourself even better. Hard to beat the price if everything works.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
Not to old, many older vehicles still on the road. That one is apparently barely used. If you can service it yourself even better. Hard to beat the price if everything works.
I said that to my wife.

Unfortunately I would have to pay to have it maintained.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
I have a 1999 Dutch Star
That we bought 6 years ago. Had very little use stored in a barn. Over the years we repkaced Air conditioner, generator, all belts and pullies and idle arms. Just put in new fridge. New floors just because we had left over from house. Redid roof myself. Now on second set of Michlien tires. Flat screen tvs cganged all bulbs to leds. Only paid 19000. Runs great no
problems. Redid brakes just because. All in all much cheaper then new.
Good luck . This coach was totally rust free and still is. Check all maintenance records. Have mine from day one. Crawl all over top and bottom turn every dial and flip ever switch.
The advert said the generator has bewn rebuilt and brakes done. Seller said they have all paperwork.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I said that to my wife.

Unfortunately I would have to pay to have it maintained.
Personally the age would not bother me if I liked the RV. I owned a 98 not long ago and it was a great RV, very reliable. I did have to do tires, shocks, and service everything up but it had sat for awhile when I bought it.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
Personally the age would not bother me if I liked the RV. I owned a 98 not long ago and it was a great RV, very reliable. I did have to do tires, shocks, and service everything up but it had sat for awhile when I bought it.
The only thing it does not have full body paint, but at that price I cannot complain.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paint doesn't make it go down the road. For a few hundred bucks someone will compound and wax the heck out of it. I'll look great.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Paint doesn't make it go down the road. For a few hundred bucks someone will compound and wax the heck out of it. I'll look great.
Good point.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
At that mileage the engine is not even broken in good yet. If the inside is in good shape and the floor plan suits you and you are looking for a DP ,don't let it get away. A plus is the engine either Cat or Cummins will be before the environmental updates. If you have to have all the service done for you add the price for everything base it, hopefully, on the maintenance records on the unit. Maybe you want to paint and the wife can pick the color, Good Luck Richard We love our new to us 2000 Allegro Bus.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It might be 18 years old, but it may be in like new condition.

However, remember that the paint colors and decor inside are 18 years old,regardless of condition, which may not be acceptable to everyone in your party, if you hear what I am saying.

We bought a 13 year old coach in excellent condition in 2008. In 2009, we repainted the entire exterior, the entire interior, and replaced every piece of furniture and furnishings inside.

Then we thoroughly enjoyed it for 9 years.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
It might be 18 years old, but it may be in like new condition.

However, remember that the paint colors and decor inside are 18 years old,regardless of condition, which may not be acceptable to everyone in your party, if you hear what I am saying.

We bought a 13 year old coach in excellent condition in 2008. In 2009, we repainted the entire exterior, the entire interior, and replaced every piece of furniture and furnishings inside.

Then we thoroughly enjoyed it for 9 years.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
At that mileage the engine is not even broken in good yet. If the inside is in good shape and the floor plan suits you and you are looking for a DP ,don't let it get away. A plus is the engine either Cat or Cummins will be before the environmental updates. If you have to have all the service done for you add the price for everything base it, hopefully, on the maintenance records on the unit. Maybe you want to paint and the wife can pick the color, Good Luck Richard We love our new to us 2000 Allegro Bus.

Thanks both,

I don't mind doing interior remodeling myself. From the photos it looks ok.

If I did go for it I would need to sell my current coach to help with the cost.

Tags
diesel