Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #15

NO,,,,,,6 years ago I fell of the roof with a result of five operations on my right leg that suffered 13 breaks. My ins. co. spent over $300,000. and I will always have a limp and am always in pain. I live in upstate NY an have not had any leaks,,,,YET.
Judge Frank Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Wouldnt own one for the reasons you stated.
In my storage faclity I see some covered, some blown off and laying on ground, some ripped with holes.
I would think the chaffing from the wind would be a detriment to the finish of the coach.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I kind of made up my mind today to forego the Adco cover for my RV. The final straw was a quick trip to the storage lot. I had to unclip the straps of the cover to access certain basement doors, 120V outlet, etc. Since I needed to run the generator, I also had to raise the skirt in back to it didn't touch the generator exhaust pipe. The zippers helped but not entirely due to the specific location of my odds and ends.

When it was time to pack up, as I was crawling on the ground underneath the rig retrieving straps I couldn't quite "pitch" under the chassis, I decided this just wasn't worth it (not to mention the time covering and uncovering the rig). The deal about climbing on the roof twice each trip didn't excite me either.

I am sure the cover would be nice protection for my Suncruiser, and I may use it if I anaticipate a 3 month layup or longer, but otherwise I'll keep it clean and occasionally waxed and hope for the best (and I'll get a front window cover and dash cover).

Thanks everyone for the input.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #18

Rich,
Look around for covered storage, you'll pay a bit more but worth it... I don't know where you are in Tampa, but there are a few commercial places around, or find a guy that has a pole barn and rent a spot from him-- that's what I did. btw, I'm a bit south of Tampa . When we bought our last MH, I bought a cover, but never used it as I found a covered storage and ended up selling the cover on ebay
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Look around for covered storage, you'll pay a bit more but worth it... I don't know where you are in Tampa, but there are a few commercial places around, or find a guy that has a pole barn and rent a spot from him-- that's what I did. btw, I'm a bit south of Tampa . When we bought our last MH, I bought a cover, but never used it as I found a covered storage and ended up selling the cover on ebay
That's a great idea, but I haven't had much luck finding anything covered closer than about 45 minutes from our South Tampa location. The few I did find were in the $250-$300 per month range, a little tough for us.

Maybe I'll check Craig's List again - it's been a while.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #20

Yeah-- that would hurt-- I pay $50/month to keep mine under a pole barn .
I think Storesafe gets about $150/month for covered stoage. They are on US 41
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #21

Where is your pole barn So of Tampa?

I am currently at a very close storage facility, but $111 per month. I am in Bradenton. Just curious if I can find covered cheaper.

Thanks.

Brian
RBAJJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Brian, about the only suggestion I have is not to underestimate the advantages of proximity. We make a lot of trips back and forth, esp in the days before a trip (start fridge night before, top off the tires, run the gen to top off the batteries, moving stuff in) as well as in between (the occasional cleaning, quick look for signs of mischief, joy ride, etc.). If it weren't so close, I'd be spending a lot of hour transporting myself back and forth.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
........We make a lot of trips back and forth, esp in the days before a trip (start fridge night before, top off the tires, run the gen to top off the batteries, moving stuff in) as well as in between (the occasional cleaning, quick look for signs of mischief, joy ride, etc.). If it weren't so close, I'd be spending a lot of hour transporting myself back and forth.
We used to do that also...

Now we just bring it to the house a couple of days before leaving....
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, walking the roof is no danger to a well built RV, I'm 330 pounds (Last time I was on the roof, bit less now) and the roof my my Damon is as solid as the floor, in fact, The sub floor is the same construction (The surface is different)

However your own safety.... Well.. I used to do roofing for a living.

The cover however, There are 3 different situtations

1: Areas that get a lot of wind
2: Areas that get a lot of SALT wind
3: Calm

IN the 2nd case. Covering may well be a good plan, as it keeps the salt off

In the 1st case, (Lots of wind) if a few particals of "grit" get under the cover, and the cover can move, it can abraid the finish on the rig, turning it from "Bright and shiney" to dull and ready for re-painting. Not good.

In the 3rd case (Calm) Since you are inside a storage building ... Well, a cover might keep the dirty birdies from dropping upon the rig.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, walking the roof is no danger to a well built RV,
It's not the roof I worry about, it's breaking my a@# if I slip or trip
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #26

Hey Rich: I don't know if it makes a difference but I have a rubber roof on my 36 ft Georgie Boy Pursuit. Had it since its new in 05. Prior to that had a 30 ft unit, also with a rubber roof. I took the trouble to put up an aluminum shed that has housed both units very nicely. I wouldn't go any other way. I have not had to do anything to my roof's except 2 times a year give it a gentle soap and water wash. The initial expense was about $3,000 but it has protected both rigs from the harsh Florida Sun. (I'm about 35 miles west of St. Augustine) Hope this helps...
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After four Michigan winters stored with a cover on my property, my coach's finish looks like new. Think they do some real good in certain weather conditions. PITA to put on and take off but worth the effort. A good tie down system is a must.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #28

Hey Rich, I am about 90 miles from you and bought my Suncruiser coach at Lazy Days like you did. I would never uses a cover. I have seen too many others struggle with it. We use Nu-Finish polish (Wal-Mart) on our coach and I love it. It takes about 2 bottles. I just got thru polishing mine. It took about 4 days a little bit at a time due to the very hot weather. One thing that is important is to keep the sun out of your coach to stop fading. Having just bought new tires, I am also very good about using my tire covers. This can save you a few years between replacements.