Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Is being over 40 ft really too large for some campgrounds

I am looking at buying a Newmar Allstar. One model is about 40 ft and the other about 42. I have read that for many camp grounds you must be 40 feet or under. Is that guideline actally inforced? If your RV is larger than 40 have you ever been turned away?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

My rig is just 37 ft and there are some campgrounds, mostly old public ones, that even I can't into. I always (1) look at Trailer Life directory to see what length and width sites the CG has (2) when calling to try and make a reservation, most will ask what size rig you have or you can ask them if they have a site for you 40+ footer and they will tell you.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

Many state and federal parks that have sites we have come across limit the size to 34 feet or less. Many of the newer campgrounds we have stopped at can accommodate the larger sizes. I would suspect older RV campgrounds also have limited number of sites that may accommodate larger sizes.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

thanks for your reply. maybe i didn't word my question very well. When you look in the directory and it says "RVs under 40ft" do they enforce that or will let let a 42 footer in?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

Be careful. We have been mislead by several campgrounds that state they are Big Rig Friendly. That term is ill defined and can be used any way they want. Our MH is 42.5 feet long. Add the tow bar and toad and we are 63.5 feet. Sure I might be able to park my rig on their gravel pull through but I can't make the turns into or out of the campground.

40 vs 42 feet does not make that much of a difference in turning but might push the length limits of some sites where they seem to have a different tape measure than I have. That 70 foot site ends up being only 60 feet between the roadways. They must measure from the middle of the road on either side.

We don't even try to get into the parks. Some might work but we don't really do state and Nat. park camping that much so it is not a loss for us.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our motorhome is 37' long. We have had some tight fits and had to change campsites once or twice, but we have managed to hang the rear over the back of the site and park the toad sideways in front to make it work.

Most places will have at least a few sites we can squeeze into. However, there are one or two places we have been where 40' simply would not fit anywhere in the campground, not to mention something bigger. This is especially true in older campgrounds, some state parks, and national parks. Most national parks, however, have private campgrounds nearby that can accommodate larger rigs.

If I really wanted the rig, I wouldn't let the fact that there may be a few campgrounds I couldn't go to keep me from buying it. Just make sure you tell them them your length when making reservations. Sometimes a campground will state a length limit, but they have a couple of sites they can squeeze slightly longer rigs into.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #7

thanks for your post. i notice you have an Acura toad. did you have to modify it to be able to pull it flat. i have not seen Acura listed in the magazines that list tow friendly vehicles.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy the rig you like. There'll be plenty of places to park it. If it's too small for you to enjoy, it doesn't matter where you park it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rayinnc:
thanks for your post. i notice you have an Acura toad. did you have to modify it to be able to pull it flat. i have not seen Acura listed in the magazines that list tow friendly vehicles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is a 2001 MDX and can be towed flat. I think they changed to No Tow around 2006 due to the all wheel drive tranny.

I have a 65mph limit and have to run the tranny every 8 hours of towing.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our coach actually measures 37 1/2 ft. We camp A LOT in Ohio state parks. When we make our reservations, we have to choose a MH length, just as for most other campgrounds. We always choose 40 ft. because the option below that is 35 ft.

We've never been to a park that didn't at least have a few sites that could accomodate us. Just so you know, we usually choose to unhook the toad and back in instead of using pull throughs when staying for a few days or longer. The toad is usually parked across-ways in front of the MH or sometimes off to the side. Parking that way sometimes gives you a few more options that wouldn't be available had you put your full length including toad together. In order to fit, we did have to ask permission to trim a tree branch once, though, so it wouldn't scratch the back of the MH as we backed in, but they were fine with it.

I agree that you should get the size you want. If you're happy with your coach, then you WILL find places that will accomodate you. I would guess that there are more places that could fit a 40-42 footer than couldn't these days. When you get up to 45 ft., it might be a little more difficult, but that's just a guess on my part since we've not done above 40 ft. yet. Good luck!

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rayinnc:
thanks for your reply. maybe i didn't word my question very well. When you look in the directory and it says "RVs under 40ft" do they enforce that or will let let a 42 footer in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray,

If says under 40 feet then they don't take 40 footers so why would the take a 42 footer?

I was up in the White Mountains of New England this past fall and I was pushing the envelope for a lot of the parks I stayed at with my 35 footer.

Most commented that they usually do not get the really big rigs like mine but I was welcome to try to get in at my own risk. Overhead was an issue also and my rig is not that tall by todays standards being only 11' 8" however I was just squeezing under branches and getting my roof swept in the parks and access roads to the campgrounds.

Most you would not get a 40 footer or longer into without damage of some sort.

Yes 40 feet and over is too large for some campgrounds even 35 feet is pushing the limits at many.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #12

We are just over 41 feet and have stayed at many National and State Parks with 30 foot limits. Many places do have space for larger rigs now even though the literature may not be updated. Frequently we call before going if in doubt.

One thing to watch for though is access. For example at Kings Canyon National Park one loop in a particular campground had ample sites, easy access and egress. Another loop had plenty of space at many sites but the road was so curvy that you'd take out the posts and your sides getting through. Oh, I should also mention that we didn't attempt to dump there since access to the dump was dicey. Not worth the chance of dinging the coach. But the two week stay was well worth it.

The DW originally wanted a smaller coach for the reasons that you are assessing. Is she glad now that I was so obdurate? You bet she is. Couldn't have gotten all of our outdoor gear into the rig otherwise.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Small point but was just reading California law and note anything over 40' is restricted to "certain highways and by-ways.
Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Ray;

I've stayed in a park in Indiana that states "No rigs over 38'." Mine is 41'7". I told them, they were okay with me coming, and I had no problem.

I'd be up front with the CGs and Parks when you make reservations.

You might stick out a little. We visited a place in Marietta, GA where I felt they should have limited length to 38' or less, but we made it into the spot without difficulty.

I would guess that if you have a tag axle, some turns might get a little dicey unless your tag lifts...or you have a Newell that'll turn on its own axis (almost!).

Go for the coach you want. Everything else will work out.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote