Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
Went from a 37' to 34', triple slide to double slide. Wanted to downsize but stay diesel. Love the floor plan. DH calls in tight, I call it cozy. Was amazed we got most of our gear inside and in basement with no problem. I hate things piled upon each other and did not have that happen.

kajunT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
I think that smaller is better.

Our campground of choice is any National Forest Campground in the Rockies. We do not full time and we do not stay in RV resorts.

What don't you like about your 2015 Thor ACE?

JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did that add go: The bigger the burger the better the burger the burgers are better at the advertiser's place of business.

the bigger the RV the more room you have but yes, I have been to a few parks where my 38 foot model is not going to fit in all the sites... Never had a problem finding a site.. Just had to be a bit more .. Selective.. as it were.

OH, and if there is a bath and a half option.. TAKE IT.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
I think that smaller is better.

What don't you like about your 2015 Thor ACE?
We really like the ACE and other than some cosmetic warranty work haven't had any issues with it. It seems to be a great MH for weekends and occasional trips, but our 2015 lacks some of the features/functions we'd like to have. For example:
- Inverter
- auto-gennie start (we do quite a bit of boondocking)
- black tank flush
- double sink in kitchen
- awning over coach entry door (petty but important when raining)
- integrated AV system

Yes, some of these things could be added/mod'd but at what cost?

The 27.1 only has a dinette - no sofa. It's our first MH and when purchasing we thought this wouldn't be an issue for us, but after a couple trips we realized sitting/lounging inside at the dinette (due to rain, bugs, etc.) just isn't comfortable for anything other than eating.

At this point we're considering: Thor Challenger, Allegro, or a Bounder.
2016 Allegro 36LA / 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Newbie trying to absorb all I can
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Every time we have increased the size of our RV, we have liked it more but gave up a bit of flexibility. We have not felt "limited" in any absolute sense, but our choices are different with the larger rigs.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Tireman1 View Post
Bigger is better.
Ditto. Bottom line, get the floor plan you like.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's how we got the 45' but it was me that said "what's an add'l 5'?"!

Only about another $65,000
Loving the Beaver!
Jason, Sherri, Christian, & Wheeler (Golden Retriever)
2008 Beaver Contessa Huntington CAT C9 400hp FMCA f25478 S4
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #22
Is anyone aware of a resource that lists out a bunch of state/federal parks along with length restrictions?

I know it's possible to get a feeling for any single park by looking it up. I was wondering if there was some way to quickly get a broader overview.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #23
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our first coach was 36'; our current coach is 40' and while I am glad I went bigger as we start spending more and more time on the road, the larger coach has presented problems....living with the bigger coach hasn't been without some extra effort.

We really like to stay at Corp of Engineer parks, and have successfully found a spot at every one we have visited, but I will admit I have had more than a few "white knuckle" turns, and parking efforts...and one I won't ever go back to (and yes, I put a note in the campground forum about this camp).

My wife has to work real hard at scrubbing the data listed for parks to make sure the site is big enough when she reserves them....on our last trip out we made advanced reservations and stopped at 12 COE parks -- 3 reserved sites were not as described and the parking spots could not accommodate our coach -- but the camp host always spotted the problem at check-in -- BEFORE I got to the site and they helped me choose a better spot that would accommodate "Elvis" before I left the check-in counter. (Thank goodness for such great professionals). The biggest problem I have encountered has been the locations are too tight to maneuver in the available space....for example there isn't enough turn radius available to back into the spot...the narrow road with a large drop off, combined with large trees located at JUST the wrong place sometimes make it impossible to make the back-in turn into that precise spot without a front wheel falling off the ledge or hitting a BIG tree...but one just a couple spots away works fine...and the camp host usually knows which ones will work for me and which won't)

There really is no way we could be full-timing in the smaller coach....I know others do and do it well, but my wife and I really need the extra space our 40' offers us. The increased driving challenge has also made me realize I will never go any bigger. 40' meets our space needs and so far, with some extra effort and pre-planning, we have fitted into all the campgrounds we have reserved.

Bottomline, I'm happy we went bigger, but I sure do notice that maneuvering my 40' requires more attention and care than my previous 36'. I whipped that 36' around though parking lots, and other tight spaces with little reservation....this 40' isn't quite so lithe and fluid....he has found himself in spots where disconnecting the toad and backing up was the only choice! Inconvenient, but I still am glad we have the 40'.
'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #24
Were at 41 feet and we have camped in state parks and federal campgrounds this year in Or, CA, and AZ without a problem. But, you do have to spend a few minutes checking just as you would an RV park. Especially in CA! The extra space just makes the trip more enjoyable and helps eliminate storage concerns.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
We spend a lot of time in our coach. Went up to 38' bunkhouse (bunkhouse for grandkids). Ours is 38' (about as long as you are gonna get with a gasser) with a bath and half. We stay at State/Fed parks and have found that we can get spaces - just barely. I have seen 40' units but they are "wall to wall". For us the 38'er is just right.

US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote