Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Is diesel really better and Banks package?

Buying 1st used mh/a class, travel/living in it for a year, looking at 34'/35' w/slide, went to rv show and ran into some guys that told me the only way to go is diesel or I'll be sorry climbing hills. I really don't care gas vs diesel, looking for some more experienced feedback and I heard a lot of good about having a Banks package for gas.
Thanks for any responses.
Jim & Diane
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You'll get hundreds of differing opinions on this subject. It gets asked all the time. I have owned both gas and diesel coaches and prefer diesel for more reasons than simply power. My advice, find the coach with the floor plan that you like that fits in your budget and enjoy.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Ditto what CarlAda said!!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

X-3 what CarlAda said.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
X-4 what CarlAda said
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #6

what CarlAda said with the caveat that if you are not already into diesel or motor homes there is a fairly steep learning curve for both. IMHO you would be better off with gas as it will cost less and be simple to deal with compared to the diesel. If you want to go full time after a year then look at a dp from a point of experience.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemeone View Post
Buying 1st used mh/a class, travel/living in it for a year, looking at 34'/35' w/slide, went to rv show and ran into some guys that told me the only way to go is diesel or I'll be sorry climbing hills. I really don't care gas vs diesel, looking for some more experienced feedback and I heard a lot of good about having a Banks package for gas.
Thanks for any responses.
Jim & Diane

This is a topic that seems to evoke strong feeling among RVers. The truth of the matter is, it really depends on your needs in a coach. The real question is how much weight do you need to move up and down the highway in order to have the life on the road that will suit you.

If you need to move less than about 20k pounds then gas will be fine. If the weight is up around 28k pounds then you will be in a diesel. There is a overlap in the middle between 20-24k where you may find a Cummins ISB diesel and a Ford V10 or depending on age a GM V8. In that case the deciding vote could be cast by the air suspension and slightly better Milage of the diesel or the simplicity and familiarity of the gas.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Jim,
I think Steve has summed it up as well as anyone.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957, had my first TT in '67. Went from TT's to a Type B, then a Type C, then a gas Type A, and now on the third DP Type A, and the only one purchased used.
Won't be going back to smaller gas units. Told the DW I was going to be buried in this last one!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #10

X-5 what CarlAda said, and Jim's comment is pretty smart too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

I have a 38ft Class A gas.... my only complaint with the coach is lack of power. I wish I had more ooph to help me not just go up long hills in the smokies or mountains out west... but even small rolling hills in Kentucky & even overpasses in Florida. I typically travel 65-73 MPH pulliing a wrangler unlimited which isn't easy for the engine. I also do not use cruise control due to the slightest incline it will shift down a gear or two thus I might loose several MPH even on the small overpasses. I have no complaints with the ride, interior noise even when the engine is being pushed hard going up mountains....

Banks - For me it's a lot of money & I doubt I would see that big of a improvement for what it costs.

I Hope to get a DP in the next year or two. Biggest concern is how much more the yearly maintenance is & also any unexpected expenses.

I would suggest driving as many as you can to help you make up your decision. When I went through this several years ago the DP w/o a doubt the the best to drive however it was either a +4yr old DP vs a new gas coach for similar money. I drove the same model Ford & workhorse chassis & thought the workhorse was superior thus that's the direction I went.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Either way you go, you can purchase after market items to improve power/handling etc. Get what works best for you. Unlike others I went from a DP to gas. I don't have any regrets.. Maintenance and costs are a concern for everyone. SO get what's best for you,not others. My $.02

Tags
diesel