Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
The government, in it's infinite wisdom has decided that E-10 is safe for all vehicles and that likely includes your generator.

Alternately, you can try and find ethanol free gas, but as a pilot, I can tell you that it's pretty hard to find in most places.

Store with the tanks full.. Less air in the tank helps (IMHO). Less fuel doesn't change what is in the fuel system. Long term storage - use a stabilizer and drain the carb on that genset, regardless of type of fuel used.
Thanks for the heads up on the generator, I hadn't thought of that, now I will have to look and see how easy it is to access the carb to drain. Might be nice to have a fuel cut off and run dry, like I do with my pressure washer.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the generator, I hadn't thought of that, now I will have to look and see how easy it is to access the carb to drain. Might be nice to have a fuel cut off and run dry, like I do with my pressure washer.
I just use stabil in my tank and run the generator for 1/2hr before storage. Every month or so I will go out and start the engine and generator over winter storage. Never any issues with the generator or engine over the summer season.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #17

My Honda 2000i started running rough. Took it to the Honda small engine shop and was told it was a result of using ethanol blended gas without sta-bil additive.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In our area, in the Portland OR air pollution area we can't buy anything but 10% ethanol blend. Even ARCO (owned by BP) is 10%. Been using it for many years with no problems in everything we have owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In our area, in the Portland OR air pollution area we can't buy anything but 10% ethanol blend. Even ARCO (owned by BP) is 10%. Been using it for many years with no problems in everything we have owned.
Same here. Here is a pic of my carb gaskets that was on my 2002 Seadoo. Well over 1000 gal of fuel and stored with gas during the winter season. I replaced them because the carbs were off 2 years ago for a broken reed valve. My other 2002 is still running strong on original carb gaskets. 10% fuel for their entire life. Rode hard also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020047.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	44900   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020048.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	44901  

Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmar1 View Post
My Honda 2000i started running rough. Took it to the Honda small engine shop and was told it was a result of using ethanol blended gas without sta-bil additive.
I'd find me a new small engine shop.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
I'd find me a new small engine shop.
I think some of those guys listen to the internet to much or rumors and need more training. I talked to some of the small engine guys here in town and they laughed at the ethanol causing carb issues talk.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using E10 for years in my cars, boats, small engines and snowmobiles. No problems. Boats and snowmobiles get stored with nearly full tanks and regular Stabil, but not because of ethanol. OK the FL boat gets stored with pure gas because it is available and it get stored in the humid FL summer.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #23

The enemy of ethanol is the addition of water. Ethanol is hygroscopic and is looking for water. (high school chemistry). It does not take a significant amount of water to bind with the ethanol which then the petrol can/will float out. Hence the increased "boat issue."
That's how we simply test the concentration between winter blend and summer blend. A modern car will compensate between the E70 and E85, I have to manually adjust my race car. Greater percentages of ethanol doesn't like to start in cold(er) weather so they put in more gas to help with that. A well tuned engine, runs cooler and the oil lasts longer. My internals all look brand new. Your results may vary.. etc etc.

//flame suit on.
I've converted three fuel injected late model production engines in my race cars to E85. One being a high end motorcycle engine that wasn't designed to run E85 to E85.

I like it, it made the same Hp as 100 octane well under $9/gal. My supercharged motor made 30 more Hp.

I have a 50 gal storage tank in my race trailer and occasionally use Lucas Ethanol Fuel conditioner mainly during the off season. I've never had any storage issues at any level, in the tank or the car. And for the consumption, in my application, to save over $5/gal is well worth the extra volume needed to compensate for the lesser BTU value. I've found in econ mode the extra timing made available can reduce differential. Ethanol is not inherently bad, there are a lot of haters because the can't or don't care to understand.
//flame suit off

But I take precautions to seal the tank(s) and am vigilante about water.

Personally, I think water ruins good bourbon..
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #24

Anybody heard of fungible? This is a word used in comoditys that are the same thru out the particular industry. Most of us use fuel that flowes thru a pipeline. Even us in the San Fran bay aria with many local refinerys get most gas thru pipelines. An example would be, Shell puts 10k gals of reg gas in a pipeline in Texas city. The fuel takes about three days to reach Chicago. Do they wait the three days? No they get reg fuel that maybe BP put in pipe three days before. The oil pipes used to use a "pig" to separate different fuels in any pipeline but no more. When diesel is pumped a separation of mixed called transmix is diverted to be rerefined, so, other than real cheap convenience store fuel (they sometimes use unrefined transmix) all fuels away from a refinery is essentially the same. Some retailers may add detergent additives like Exxon. If you want to see more there is an episode of "Modern marvels" Gasoline available at the history channel.com.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
That's how we simply test the concentration between winter blend and summer blend. A modern car will compensate between the E70 and E85, I have to manually adjust my race car. Greater percentages of ethanol doesn't like to start in cold(er) weather so they put in more gas to help with that. A well tuned engine, runs cooler and the oil lasts longer. My internals all look brand new. Your results may vary.. etc etc.

//flame suit on.
I've converted three fuel injected late model production engines in my race cars to E85. One being a high end motorcycle engine that wasn't designed to run E85 to E85.

I like it, it made the same Hp as 100 octane well under $9/gal. My supercharged motor made 30 more Hp.

I have a 50 gal storage tank in my race trailer and occasionally use Lucas Ethanol Fuel conditioner mainly during the off season. I've never had any storage issues at any level, in the tank or the car. And for the consumption, in my application, to save over $5/gal is well worth the extra volume needed to compensate for the lesser BTU value. I've found in econ mode the extra timing made available can reduce differential. Ethanol is not inherently bad, there are a lot of haters because the can't or don't care to understand.
//flame suit off

But I take precautions to seal the tank(s) and am vigilante about water.

Personally, I think water ruins good bourbon..
A modern car that is E85 rated can use that high of an ethanol content. Other non E85 cars can handle about a max of 20% before it sets lean codes. Since the power output of E85 is less than the same amount of gasoline, the PCM believes the engine is running lean because it needs to add more fuel to achieve the correct air/fuel ratio.

No flame suit needed for the modified vehicles. You can make more power with E85 than gasoline. More is just needed. Many "tuner" cars are making big HP with E85 conversions. A buddy of mine here at work is looking at an E85 conversion for his 03 Mustang Cobra.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #26

I had to have my home generator's carb overhauled thanks to the 10% alcohol in the gas, even with the use of Stabil. I now seek out and use sober fuel for the emergency generator.

Not only is the price of food rising due to the diversion of corn for the gas tank, yesterday I read that the water acquifiers in Kansas are being drawn down at unsustainable rates due to...guess what...agriculture use, largely corn production.

What great planning from our folks in DC.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Flex fuel vehicle has to do with E-85 Meaning 85% Ethonol. I have only had one problem (very minor)with Ethonol, and that was in my portable Genset that sat for a year with a few gallons of fuel in the tank.
So My 77F-150, 06 LJ Jeep, 99 TJ Jeep, and lawn mower all have No problem with Ethanol.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #28

I stand edited, a modern Flex fuel car will adjust to winter blend.

I guess the point I was trying to make with E85 to the OP is that I'm storing in higher concentrations without ill effect.

It is not my intention to bring the haters out.

It, in any concentration, does not like water and (new point) cheap pot metal.

Put some stabilizer, mitigate water encroachment to keep it in solution and it'll be fine.