Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #15

I also agree with Becks. I was not impressed with a Georgetown I looked at, many quality problems with interior things, so bad I never even bothered with the exterior. I looked at Tiffins but liked the floor plan of the SunOva over the others. Not putting any of them down, just my opinion and experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Much also depends on the priority of importance by the buyer. They still can decide where and why to spend their money. If a buyer places higher priority to a specific floor plan feature, over say a higher quality rated coach.

Both Tiffen and Newmar are usually considered higher up the food chain then the Georgetown. Between Newmar and Tiffen, it really depends upon the model and the year - as both have had good coaches, and both have had coaches with opportunities for improvement!

IMO. Both the infusion of deep pockets, and a management style that is smart enough to leave a company alone - stepping in to provide support as needed - has helped Forrest River's operation tremendously. Berkshire Hathaway (Buffet) acquired them somewhere around 2005-6 (pretty sure it was 2005). The quality of Forrest River, and innovate layouts, have improved in the last 10 or so years.

I still see this as Newmar, Tiffen and Forrest River - but he differences have blurred, and again - the model in one manufacturer can be superior to one of the others.

OP - buy the one that floats our boat!!

Best to all,
Smitty

Old 03-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #17

WyoFree, We have the Canyon Star 3610 which has the bath and a half, with two black tanks. One think to consider is there is a little extra holding capacity with the two tanks. Very often after a week camping the main tank is only at 1/3 full and the back tank doesn't even register. Emptying the two tanks is no big deal. I do the back tank first and then switch the hose to the main tanks, dump the black tank and then flush it with the grey water. It really only takes me an extra 5 minutes. A lot of times when moving from place to place I don't even empty the rear tank unless it is the last stop of the trip.

As to someone mentioning that they are all built on the F53 chassis that is true, but they are not all the same. Some may have different weight chassis as well as Newmar adds things to the chassis that some other manufacturers don't. You can see this on the actual Chassis MSRP sheet from Ford. Also the drive of the MH and handling is all about how the manufacturer engineers the MH to the Chassis. We are very happy with our Canyon Star, it drives great, and we have not had any significant issues with it or downtime in the shop.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie2 View Post
FWIW Since 2010, they all use the same Ford F- Series chassis.
The trick I found there is to compare wheel base and weight ratings. There are several versions of the Ford F-53. The top end use the heavier chassis. The low cost units stick the same size box on one of the lighter chassis. That could account for more handling issues on some lines than others.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #19

I must say when I walked into the Newmar and Tiffin I had a more quality feel than my experience in the Georgetown XL. I like the Tiffin better then the Newmar but I like the 36A floorpan better than the 3710 and that may be the reason.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #20

Comparing gas class A

Looked at all gas class A and found Tiffin leads the pack with roomiest rear bath in 36LA model and features such as ducted return air, ac outlets on exterior walls, fiberglass roof, quality of exterior compartment doors and abundance of exterior storage, to name a few
Newmar if I could find any in my area is a close second if I could get over the decors which we were not crazy about and ridiculous options list that comes std with other manufacturers .
Georgetown XL had similar features and a lot of glitz but much less quality. Seriously? fake stone walls?
TEHO
Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #21

We looked at the Tiffen and thought the dinette was very uncomfortable with short back support. Also thought the sofa was kind of hard.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
If you spend any time on these RV Forums it won't take long to notice that folks that own Tiffin and Newmar are generally very satisfied. Folks who own most other brands not so much. Winnebago also seems to be a winner. I have never owned any of them so what I say is based only on what I've seen here. Most people come to the forums with a problem so your experience may be different.
Ditto me on this post. After hundreds of hours of research online I agree that both Tiffin and Newmar appear to be the top two of the mainstream high volume motorhome manufacturers with the happiest customers.

Of course there are exceptions to every generality and there will be very happy Georgtown XL owners and some very unhappy Tiffin & Newmar ones!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
with becks

Newmar and Tiffin gassers on par with each other. Georgetown a distant 3rd. So will the price though.
I just went through a similar analysis.
Newmar and Tiffin are/will be more expensive, hold their value a little better, have more/better options and build quality is superior (just look at the basement doors as an example, look a the inverter/120v wiring in a Georgetown).
RVOne will give you a no haggle price that is really low on a Georgetown. Only you can weigh the quality/cost picture.
I ended up with a Fleetwood Bounder 35K. The Tiffin 36LA was my preference but when it came down to price the dealer wouldn't negotiate nearly as much on the Tiffin.
I am happy with my decision on the Bounder.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Liking a floor plan or the the appliances more (or less) is a different matter than "quality", which is more a matter of workmanship, materials used, and design details. An RV that has an ideal layout for your needs and lovely appliances may still be of poorer "quality" if the flooring, upholstery & cabinetry are cheap materials or the workmanship poor.

Overall, I would give the Newmar a slight edge in the build quality question. Tiffin is well-known for outstanding customer service, so their customers are mostly happy even if they have problems. I don't see a lot of complaints about the Georgetowns, but Forest River seems to hold the buyer more at arms length and make you work through a dealer on everything. That's ok for the usual run of things, but can be a roadblock if there is a serious or unusual problem to resolve.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #25

What do you do if you like a floorplan on a coach that you know is of inferior construction? I've been looking around long enough to know every plan has a tradeoff of "must haves" and "trade off's"!

Most seem to be in agreement that Newmar and Tiffin offer the best builds out there. Knowing I want a good coach and knowing I plan to keep it 3 to 5 years. Should I go with the "BEST BUILD" instead of the "BEST LIKED PLAN"?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
What do you do if you like a floorplan on a coach that you know is of inferior construction? I've been looking around long enough to know every plan has a tradeoff of "must haves" and "trade off's"!

Most seem to be in agreement that Newmar and Tiffin offer the best builds out there. Knowing I want a good coach and knowing I plan to keep it 3 to 5 years. Should I go with the "BEST BUILD" instead of the "BEST LIKED PLAN"?
If you are planning on keeping this coach for only 3 or 5 years I would not be too concerned on the quality of things because most will hold up to that time frame. Get what you like and don't pay too much for a less quality coach. I would be inclined to find a nice pre owned coach of a better name and quality for a lesser price and go with that.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgetown is not in the same league. Period.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #28

It's probably mostly a price aspect. Tiffin and Newmar will cost you more after all is done and the sun sets on the dealing. There are good reasons why those manufacturers get the bigger $, and it's not that their customers are suckers. Only you can prioritize the factors for yourself.

Tags
tow