Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Anytime you have a positive or negative experience with RV service post your info here. It helps all of us!

RV Service Reviews

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
I just bought a slightly used Entegra Anthem with over a year left on the warranty, I purchased it in Idaho (horrible dealer glad I didn't have to take it back for service). When I got back to Atlanta after calling Entegra I took it to National Indoor Rv. ABSOLUTELY the best service I've ever gotten anywhere this is my 3rd RV and these guys went above and beyond.
I'm really shocked to read all the replies to this post as I thought if they were a dealer they had to provide warranty service kind of like cars.

roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finding good RV service seems hit or miss, for sure. We have at least one local independent RV repair shop that is pretty good. We bought our current rig used at Tom Johnson's in Concord, NC. They have a huge and very comprehensive service operation and we were generally impressed with the quality of their work. They are very busy however, and getting an appointment is usually several weeks out.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Maybe everyone will feel better knowing that its not much different north of the border. Some dealers are ok - others are useless!

Our used coach was out of manufactuers warranty when we bought it, but we did buy a good extended plan from "SAL" a company out of British Columbia. I recently gave up on the dealer that I purchased from for maintenance and warranty claims - slow service, crappy work and so on. You can feel helpless dealing with a service department at a big dealership. (Threatning that you won't buy your next new coach from them helps a little.)

Even if my coach was new with full manufacturers warranty I would hesitate to let some dealers do work on it. I have seen them in action - slow to returns calls and give updates on progress, shoddy work or missing items that were listed for repair. In some dealers shop your coach just becomes another number and a quick way for the dealer to SOAK the manufactuer for a claim - Yes for the most part, RV dealership maintenance is a hassle!

This was my fix for my used unit;

I did investigate this a little further though with the extended warranty provider, I can take my coach to ANY licenced shop and get warranty work done. It doesn't have to be a business engaged in RV sales and service.
For example my local diesel shop can do a warranty claim via fax, get approval over the phone and the warranty provider will pay them over the phone with a credit card.

Its fast and easy, I pay my deductible and I end up getting a quality repair done right the first time. So I now have a licenced RV tech do my "house" repairs and claims on the side and my diesel mechanic does all of the chassis repairs and claims.

By doing it this way I feel liberated from being at the mercy of the dealership and I am elated to know the repairs are done correctly. And I am giving work to 2 business owners now that are actually deserving of the lucrative warranty work.
Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #19

I am lucky that I am close to a Cummins shop that works on the engine and generator and an Allison shop that will do pretty much do anything else on the chassis. The only time I used an RV shop was in Florida when I had an hydraulic leak from my parking brake. I called the closest, Charlotte RV Center, and they scheduled me in at 8am the next day and I was out just after lunch. That included getting a spare part from NAPA. They are not a dealer so concentrate on providing service to anyone that needs it. Sorry to hear other places are not like this. Puts me off buying a new coach as there are no dealers in West Virginia and I would have to drive hundreds of miles to get it repaired at a dealer.
I also had an extended warranty when I bought my present coach and had no problems with them paying for work I had done at any shop I chose.
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am not sure any dealers are prompt at doing any warranty service, or non-warranty anymore. Seems most places you have to make an appointment weeks out, then it sits on the lot for another couple weeks, then when they do actually look at it, they need to order parts that are sent via the slowest method available. Meanwhile you get to listen to the dealer blame the factory, and when the parts do finally show up, you get to wait a few more weeks. I always wonder how some of these places stay in business, if car dealers did this we would be on the phone demanding they make the payments if it is financed, or they would compensate you if you paid cash. In the RV world dealers think we have nothing better to do than let our rig sit on their lot collecting dust, while we sit in our stick and bricks wondering if we will be able to go on a trip for the summer. If I were you I would find a good mobile repair person, they will come to you, you don't have to wait, and most will work out the warranty details for you.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Several MH's ago, we bought a new Class C Winnie while traveling in the 'lower 48' When we got back to Alaska we needed some warranty work done and went to the local dealer about 50 miles from us. While they were willing to do the work, we need to schedule an appointment and it was made clear that they were going to take care of their customers that bought MH's from them. For we that was not an issue. They took care of the issues that we had and had no issues. Later on we had a 'major' issue with the side wall cracking about the slide out. The dealer contacted the factory and they were authorized to make the repair, which included removing the entire left side wall and installing a new wall. It took them several weeks to get the side wall and to install it but that was fine with us as it was during the winter. Guess that it depends on the dealer ship and how 'hungry' they are.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I am not sure any dealers are prompt at doing any warranty service, or non-warranty anymore. Seems most places you have to make an appointment weeks out, then it sits on the lot for another couple weeks, then when they do actually look at it, they need to order parts that are sent via the slowest method available.
^^ THIS has been our experience, exactly. Luckily our coach hasn't had any serious issues, but just taking it in for maintenance was a PITA.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many dealers have that "You did not buy from us so don't come to us for work" problem.. I got one worse with a dealer once when I had to take my daughter's car in for a recall (They did the recall but refused another minor repair cause they were not my regular mechanic no less).

They got a letter to General Motors

I recommend a letter to your coach builder.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #24

Interesting comments from everyone regarding poor service.

My buddy drops his RV for service during the months he doesn't an on using it purposely to get storage. Usually the fix takes 8-10 weeks which gets him trough his winter months.

I had told him it was deceitful and he replied that was his payback for providing poor service and misinforming the consumer on timelines.
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
It's hit or miss if you are paying the bill. There is a rightful reluctance for a non selling dealer taking warranty work; they get paid less. Maybe the RV industry works like the boating industry. A selling boat dealer owns warranty work, it's factored in their dealer price.

If your problem is chassis or drivetrain related, take it to the service center authorized to perform warranty work on them. I've had Volvo, Cummins, Yanmar, CAT, and Detroit powered RVs and boats. In every case the local service center has been very pleasant to work with, in or out of warranty.
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This entire post makes me feel glad that I can and I do all my own work. I'm in a service industry and its saddening when good money can't buy good service. Good work ethics are all but gone from America.
2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Entegra Owners Club
There are very few dealers that are worth a damn when it comes to service. If you find one consider yourself lucky. If there is one near where you live, buy your next rig from them!

I have most of my work done at a nearby independent Rv service shop. Their only business is service, so they don't turn down work and they do a better job than most dealers. Their business depends on it. The only problem is that they are so successful that they are scheduling two months out!
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I am not sure any dealers are prompt at doing any warranty service, or non-warranty anymore.

Right on!

Unfortunately, (in the 12 years, 105k miles, I've owned my coach), I have found that the only correct description of "professional RV work" is HASSLE!

It seems that shops are far more interested in taking your $$ than doing prompt/quality RV work.
I always get the impression that shops think they are doing me a favor, (at $120 an hour)!

As a friend of mine often says "nobody cares"!

'96 Safari

mel s is online now   Reply With Quote