Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

Sun and rain are not good for RVs or boats sitting outside. I built a 30x40 barn with 16x13' door and keep Hoppie inside. I have a 30 amp plug and several 120v plugs too. It does get a little warm in the barn, but I have not noticed any real problems with rubber, caulk, etc.

I think keeping the sun off of the roof (we have a lot of sun in south TX) is most important. My barn cost a bunch, but I also keep lots of junk in it too and built a mezidine the length of the barn for additonal storage of stuff I will need tomorrow, but have not looked at in five years....

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the sun is your enemy when it comes to paint and tires (And birds are not your friend either) thus indoor parking out of the sun and away from the birds is best.

HOWEVER.. The question you have to ask is this: Is it worth the money?

Frankly.. I doubt it, but then I have never done the math.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To me it's definitely worth what I'm paying...but I don't live in CA. Inside avoids the 105 degree sun and heat where glue melts, electonics fry, rubber rots and everything drys out and fades; also avoids ice/snow in the winter. Plus I have power so I can leave it plugged in all the time.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To me it comes down to economics. I was paying 37.00 per month for outside storage and the MH was broken into 2 times. Total damage and loss approx 500.00. I got off pretty easy as several people had losses of over 3K. I called around and found an inside spot for 117.00 per month. Some places wanted 300.00/month. For the extra 80.00 per month it was an easy decision. I no longer worry about breakins as the indoor spot has security system and I get the benefit of the MH being out of the elements like others have said. For the 300.00 a month I would probably still have outdoor storage. How much more your willing to spend is something only you can decide, but in my opinion indoor is the way to go.....if you can afford the difference. I also have electric so I can keep it plugged in and keep the batteries charged up.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #19

$100 month buys me covered parking. Not totally enclosed but RV is protected from sun and rain. It's worth that to me to protect roof, paint and tires. Outdoor parking is $50 a month so I thing I've got a pretty good deal!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Stored my MH's outside for the last 14 years with Tyvex covers over the winter. It was always a hassle in March trying to get the MH ready for our first trip of the year. Melting snow, cold, rain, etc.

When I saw a local farm for sale last winter with a 45x62 foot Morton building, I grabbed it.

Screw the economics, now I have a big clubhouse where I can tinker with the MH all winter!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #21

When we upgraded to our 38 foot DP the old carport was to small. We live in the country so I built a 46X14 enclosed garage for the beast. Mostly used lumber with the exception of a new metal roof. Was able to buy several pieces of 20 foot PBR metal siding for $10 a piece. Total cost with lighting and attic vent fan was $4500.00.

Jim
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #22

As others have commented, it is a matter of economics. Own a newish $200,000+++ MH and it might make sense to spend $4000 a year keeping it inside, but if like me you have a 12-year old vehicle that didn't cost all that much, has an uncertain storage history anyway and is regarded as a throwaway item when we finish with it in x years time, even the $50 I pay out in the desert NE of LA seems too much.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #23

Depends on where you are going to park...etc., etc....I just put Michelin front tires on my coach at $700 a pop. The tires they took off had new thread but the sidewalls had started to "rot". The tire dealer told me they would physically last two to three times as long with indoor storage....you'll have to weigh it out. I have covered shed storage a mile and a half from my home so I put it away anytime I am not using it. I have a spot by the door and a key to the building.... It is nice to have it out of the driveway - check your City ordinance so you know if you can park it at your house.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 12 year old 40 ft DP. It is in good condition, and I feel that they deteriorate faster when they get older. We pay the 2400 a year for inside heated and full electric. We live in ohio and when you have a nice weekend,(30-40 degrees and clear) it's worth it's weight in gold to just fire up the beast and take off for the weekend. Plus, doing the cleaning and waxing inside during the winter is great. Next year, we full-time and it will probably always be outside but winters in az and springs through the gulf. Summer will be be back in Ohio.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep our moho in a "semi-enclosed" storage and it works great. Roof keeps rain and sun off the RV and there is electricity as well as a dump station. Since our neighborhood association will not allow us to store our coach at home, this is the best solution for us.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Beyond the economics, which is a personal call, check the "rules" of the indoor facility, e.g. do they allow you to do minor maintenance, can you plug in, etc. I just moved from outside uncovered for $25 a month to a 50' x 14' fully enclosed for $170.

The guy running my storage units is pretty laid back. Soon as I moved indoors I set up a radio, a little work bench/storage area with cleaning supplies, a few tools, a compressor and whathaveyou. Its now a pleasure (well almost) to work on the moho.

Since moving I have waxed and ZEP'd the entire exterior, polished all the rims, finished my roof maintenance and got to a few other items on the to-do list which I kept putting off because it was either too bloody hot out in the baking sun or it was raining. And rolling around under the coach on a creeper on a dry concrete floor beats the pants off of crawling around in a gravel parking lot.

So check out what they will and will not let you do. There are some intangible advantages to being indoors, above the obvious one of being out of the elements.

cheers...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
Beyond the economics, which is a personal call, check the "rules" of the indoor facility, e.g. do they allow you to do minor maintenance, can you plug in, etc. I just moved from outside uncovered for $25 a month to a 50' x 14' fully enclosed for $170.

The guy running my storage units is pretty laid back. Soon as I moved indoors I set up a radio, a little work bench/storage area with cleaning supplies, a few tools, a compressor and whathaveyou. Its now a pleasure (well almost) to work on the moho.

Since moving I have waxed and ZEP'd the entire exterior, polished all the rims, finished my roof maintenance and got to a few other items on the to-do list which I kept putting off because it was either too bloody hot out in the baking sun or it was raining. And rolling around under the coach on a creeper on a dry concrete floor beats the pants off of crawling around in a gravel parking lot.

So check out what they will and will not let you do. There are some intangible advantages to being indoors, above the obvious one of being out of the elements.

cheers...
Man, I would fell like I'd died and gone to heaven with a set up like that.

When we had indoor storage, we were not even allowed inside the building. They had to park and retrieve the coach because they packed them in like sardines and usually had to move two or three other rigs to get to mine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always have kept my RVs indoors! I sleep better at night not worrying about a storm causing damage. Further, in Texas it keeps it at least 20 degrees cooler in the summer all day long. When I take the coach to the shop for work, it might be outside for a week or two before I get it back and I can tell a huge difference in the outside finish. I pay the money and am glad to protect this big investment.

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indoor