Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by sbdgn78 View Post
Thanks 4 all your replys.
One day I will be out there with the rest of you so u better brace yourself while driving if you are on the rd at the sametime lol
Don't worry yet!!!
I'll make sure I leave a note for everyone when or if that day happens lol
Thanks again
Good luck, Fran! We were a newbies at one time, so just take your time and enjoy the ride.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Air-assisted brakes need a special endorsement. I think that's the only thing that's universal across the board. Other than that, it varies.

36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Air-assisted brakes need a special endorsement. I think that's the only thing that's universal across the board. Other than that, it varies.
For clarification... I believe you're speaking of Canadian requirements. In the states we don't even have THAT much standardization.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by sbdgn78 View Post
Is it hard to drive a class A Motorhome and do you need a Special license?
I wouldn't say that it's hard to drive but I think it is harder to drive than a car. Driving a 40+' long vehicle that's almost 9' wide with the mirrors takes extra caution. They obviously don't maneuvre like cars, they don't necessarily fit where cars do (e.g. don't go through a fast-food drive through with your motor home!)

As far as the licensing, as many others have said, it really depends on your State / Province of residence and it also depends on the size (weight) of the vehicle.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I love driving our Knight (40' DP).
Our previous 36' gasser, not so much.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Well, good point, Jon. BUT, this is part of the ridiculousness of it all.

No, it's not universal across the board. One only has to have the air brake endorsement if they are a resident of a state that actually does require a special "class" of license (usually a Class B).

I'm not absolutely sure about West Virginia but let's take the state of Washington for example for we're somewhat familiar with the licensing requirements there. In Washington state, there is no Class B required for driving a diesel pusher motorhome or an RV above the 26,000 pound GVWR.

Therefore, a Washington state resident does not have to have a separate air brake endorsement because they don't even require a Class B to drive a diesel pusher. Anybody with a normal drivers' license in Washington state can jump in a 40' diesel pusher and drive down the road with no special license or endorsement. Washington exempts RV owners from the air brake endorsement even though their vehicle has air brakes.

OP, again, check with your WV DMV to see what their requirements may be.

Once again, it's ridiculous that some states will require a Class B license and an air brake endorsement but some states require nothing. Yet residents of both states can drive the same RV on the streets of another state legally.

ETA: oops, I didn't see your post when I was writing mine, RickO. Yes, as I explained, you're absolutely correct. There is no standardization in the U.S. as it varies from state to state. I'm not sure what's required in Canada.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Crazy can of worms isn't it. I was reading another thread and just learned I may need to take a written and driving test in Tx when my previous read of the law was I did not. This is one of our political conundrum's - all for states rights except when we are not. Never mimd between countries. Just sayin and know pol is outta bounds.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
I actually just drove a Motor Home (Fleetwood Bounder 33U) for the first time on Saturday. I was a bit nervous at first but I soon gained a bit of confidence. One must recognize the additional stopping distance, and the wonderful person that wants your space on the freeway, but a good defensive (automobile) driver should be able to master a Motor Home without much difficulty.

By the time my test drive was over I was actually having fun driving the coach.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
My wife and I were only 18 when we trained to drive school buses in California and I found that driving a bus was easier than driving a car. The toughest part of the course was learning how to shift the non-synchronized 10 speed Roadranger transmission but at least most RVs today are automatic.

Seems like when driving something this big, you have a better view ahead and all around you and makes for a much less nerve racking drive in heavy traffic. Even as long as I have been driving now, I still get nervous driving a car in heavy traffic but when driving a bus or RV, it doesnt bother me in the least.

vegas39 is offline   Reply With Quote