Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #29

Our wheelbase was 275 and 55 degree radius. The longer the wheelbase/shorter rear overhang, the more stable the motorhome. Here are 2004 specs:

https://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-conten...dpbrochure.pdf

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Our wheelbase was 275 and 55 degree radius. The longer the wheelbase/shorter rear overhang, the more stable the motorhome. Here are 2004 specs:

https://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-conten...dpbrochure.pdf
Thanks, twogypsies. I had the specs from this brochure but did not see anything about wheel cut angle. Where did you get the 55 degree figure, from the documentation which came with the coach?

According to the brochure, the wheel base is 276 and the front axle is rated at 13,200 lbs GAWR.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Thanks, twogypsies. I had the specs from this brochure but did not see anything about wheel cut angle. Where did you get the 55 degree figure, from the documentation which came with the coach?

According to the brochure, the wheel base is 276 and the front axle is rated at 13,200 lbs GAWR.
Guess it was 276 then...thought it was 275. We made a trip to the manufacturer in Indiana and the 55 deg. was what we were told. It handled beautifully. We did a lot of public park camping - national parks, national forests, etc. and it was a breeze backing into spots. We loved driving mountains in the West and drove effortlessly. We had the Spartan. We really miss it. We'd highly recommend a Newmar.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #32

To the OP. Everyone finds a comfort zone when driving any vehicle from a motorcycle, a car, or a pickup, or even an 80,000# 18 wheeler. Every vehicle has it's own sweet spot and comfort zone. With seat time, comes judgement and the more seat time, the better judgement until confidence and control becomes second nature. Not everyone can become comfortable in an 18 wheeler and some are never really relaxed in a motor home. As others have suggested, start getting seat time in open areas where there is little traffic. Use your mirrors, and any other object to get a feel where you are in your lane. Make some turns at remote intersections to determine where the wheels track. Eventually, with time, good judgement, a feel for the road will take over and it will become second nature. You will know when you become either confident or reach a point that you will never be fully relaxed. Either way, if you are honest with yourself, your judgement will tell you. I've been driving large vehicles with trailers for close to 60 years. Seat time behind the wheel has given me judgement and I feel relaxed in anything that has wheels. Good Luck
Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I felt the same way when I first got behind the wheel. My husband and I both drive so we can take breaks when we go through construction zones or hilly areas.

I notice that a lot of women don't drive and I am glad I feel comfortable doing so. If the husband gets ill and the wife cannot drive it causes problems getting home again or to a safe spot.

We practiced for a year before we towed a vehicle so we were comfortable just driving the MH. Now we both drive while towing. All the advice listed above was great.. I had seen both videos and it helped a lot.

I wish you the best of luck because I love driving my rig and living this lifestyle.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I felt the same way when I first got behind the wheel. My husband and I both drive so we can take breaks when we go through construction zones or hilly areas.

I notice that a lot of women don't drive and I am glad I feel comfortable doing so. If the husband gets ill and the wife cannot drive it causes problems getting home again or to a safe spot.

We practiced for a year before we towed a vehicle so we were comfortable just driving the MH. Now we both drive while towing. All the advice listed above was great.. I had seen both videos and it helped a lot.

I wish you the best of luck because I love driving my rig and living this lifestyle.
So glad to meet another gal that likes to drive. I also drive our motorhome snd I really enjoy it. Took me a while to build up courage tho. We are leaving in sept for a trip west and it will be our first time driving or Navigator through the mountains. This first trip we are taking I40 through New Mexico, hopefully The hills won't be as big as in Colorado. I'm gonna put my big girl panties on and give it a try lol!!

Good luck!!! It's a great way to see this beautiful country!!

Diane
Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I had driven big 5th wheels for years. When I moved up to a class A diesel pushers I was intimidated and it took me about 2000 miles to begin to relax and enjoy the comfort drive experience. I finally relaxed my grip and find the whole thing fun now. One thing I learned the hard way is that you are the "pilot" and even if you have helpful eyes while you back and take a tight turn, it is your responsibility in the end to make it right. Get out if you have to, back two feet and get out again if you have to, go real slow and check up and down for clearance. My better half was real good at not letting me back into something (my rear camera does the same thing) but doesn't check overhead clearances, branches you might turn into and so forth. You will love it after you get a few miles under your belt. mark
Old 08-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
The whole getting the coach "centered in the lane" thing is something that simply takes a little time. You've got to spend enough time behind the wheel to get to the point that you just knowwhere you're at in that regard.

As others have suggested - those first miles definitely felt strange. Early on - I found that my point of reference was a glance in the rear view mirrors. If I couldn't see the lines on the side of the coach in BOTH mirrors ... I knew I was off in terms of my positioning. The first 50 miles was a little wobbly, the next 100 miles was OK but tentative. By the time I had logged 500 miles - I was pretty comfortable. Now that I've got 15,000 plus miles under by belt - it's second nature.

Driving a large coach is different. I doubt that any felt completely comfortable their first few miles. Prepare as best you can (videos, CDL training materials, etc), stack the deck in your favor (picking routes that aren't "tight", driving during times that traffic is lightest, etc) - and then log some time behind the wheel - knowing that EVERYBODY has to get up the learning curve.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When we bought our first RV I was terrified of driving it. One of my good friends used to drive a school bus, so she took me out and gave me all the hands on driving tips she knew. It made all the difference. DH complains that I like driving it too much--he says he doesn't always get his fair share of road time!
Old 08-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
To stay in the middle of your lane look well ahead steer so you are sitting in the middle of the wheel path. It will seem like you are really close to the centerline but in reality you will be just right. It is the lack of an extended front end that makes one generally steer too much to the right.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #39
Crash Test Blonde :-)

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know, I think I'll put up a coach-wide, 2' tall "STUDENT DRIVER - give me room!!!" Sign on my coach :-)

Think it'd work? :-)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #40

love it!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #41

Lazydays Rv in sefner Fl has a course
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #42

But by the time you drive to Lazydays Rv you will be fine

Tags
motorhome