Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #43

We took the LazyDays course and it was awesome. But if you're not near FL the video that was posted earlier on in the discussion is pretty similar. Some things have been modernized but for the most part the fundamentals are the same.

A few quick tips from me - and I'm a relatively new driver:

1. Become a hipster (Lazydays calls it a "hippie" but I'm a tallboy PBR drinker so I use hipster) but regardless...when you're making a turn, don't turn the wheel until your hip is past the object you need to get past. For example, when making a right hand turn at a stop sign...in a regular car you'd just turn the wheel right and go about your turn. In the RV as others have said you are positioned in front of the wheels so doing that is just going to make you hit the sign. Pull forward until your hips are just past the sign, then turn the wheel all the way to the right. Same with a left turn...make sure your hips are past the yellow line (or opposite late) before you turn the wheel.

2. Don't use the hipster/hippy rule if you're parked between 2 RVs (like in a parking lot). This is a delicate situation and you need to make sure you clear both of them before you start turning or you'll hit the one on the opposite side of the direction you're turning because of the tail swing.

3. Take your time. Chances are the people that are on the road with you are never going to see you again. I was driving from Ocala to Tampa on 301 rather than i-75 to get a taste of americana. It was a 2 lane road with speed limit of 55. I was doing like 50 and people were speeding around me. At first I was embarrassed that I was driving so slow...until I realized that I'd be 100x more mortified if I had an accident. So don't worry about taking it slow. If folks get mad or need to get around...they'll do it. I mean don't do 35mph on the highway if you can avoid it, but don't sweat what other drivers think of you. Just make it safe for them and you.
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the above. Take your time and you will adapt. I went from a Class C to a Class A. Broke the passenger side mirror off within the first month or so. Still a little gun shy after three years, but it does get easier over time.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am a woman motorhome driver. Started out on a little truck
type camper, terrified, figured it out. Next up a 2006 36
foot Sightseer but the wind blew me all over. Next was and
still is a very old 1992 American Eagle 38 ft with tow car.
I've been all over driving it and love it.

Good advice plan how to get out of where you are turning
in. Anymore I fuel mainly at major truckstops, just so much
easier and faster plus they have dump stations.

I drive about 65 or 60. If possible I stay outside of big cities
but I have driven in them, some not so happily. You will get
used to it. Like they said try it out in a big parking lot, will
help you feel more comfortable and remember if you have
a tow car you can't back up. Oh you might a foot or so but
not much.

Happy driving
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
can't agree more that miles under the belt is what it takes although mechanical items have something to with it too. Sway bars, track bars, alignment, loading, and proper tire pressure all have effects on how a couch handles. example when we got our new firestone tires the shop did not have the pressure charts so we drove home on the shops recommended 100 psi. Coach was skiddish as the dickens. Got home, got the pressure charts and reset tire pressure as per the weight charts (if you have not had your coach weighted on each corner do it). As it happens the fronts needed to be 85 psi and the rears 95. Next trip out a world of difference. You can feel the coach hold the road instead if trying to skate on it.

Tags
motorhome