Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
is it ok to dump tanks in 20*F weather?

My wet bay is heated to 70* and my dump valves remain closed until time to dump. The sewer hose is sloped downhill with no 'trap' bends. I'm full timing and the grey tank just filled up this morning and I've got three more days of 20* highs but need to dump. Takes about 5 minutes for each tank.

Would it be safe to dump or can the 15' hose freeze and should I wait until temp gets above freezing before I dump? (Cat is already wrinkling her nose at me.)
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
With the hose sloped downhill I don't see any problem!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

5 minutes with moving liquids I think you will be fine... just keep 'em moving.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

I am full-timing at 7000' elevation in Flagstaff. We get real winters here. I leave the sewer hose connected all the time and dump the tanks whenever necessary. Never a problem.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

I really know for sure to dump or not. But, I myself would do the dump.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks friends,

You're always here when I need you.
I'm dumping tonight and taking a hot shower.

I Love living in the motorhome in the winter... nice and cozy.

Bud
Old 01-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the liquid is 70 degrees it certainly won't chill enough to freeze in the time it takes to dump. Besides, you really need a shower.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
If the liquid is 70 degrees it certainly won't chill enough to freeze in the time it takes to dump. Besides, you really need a shower.
Flash the cat agrees with you.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
No problem....DUMP IT
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
I'm dumping tonight and taking a hot shower.

Bud
Don't forget to empty your tanks, too.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

Stop to think about it. The hose is empty and you are going to dump 70* fluid into a 3" plastic hose. It will probably warm the hose up to close to 60* by the time your tanks are empty. You could probably dump with an OAT of zero or below and it still wouldn't freeze up if the slope is as you say and the hose emptied when the flow was over.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

As many previous replies stated, since your tanks are above freezing, no problems. Only potential problem i might identify is if you have a long run from the tanks to the valves, that smaller pipe (2-3 inch) could be frozen and prevent draining. But as long as liquid to the valve, you will have no problem.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Hi again Folks,

Just a follow-up... The dump operation went fine, so I went inside and took my hot shower. As I walked down the hallway, I glanced at my remote wet bay temperature probe read-out:

31*F !!! Yikes!!!!

I ran outside and opened up the wet bay and my little Walmart 3amp heater was OFF. I flipped it back on and it made a very unhappy squealing sound so I quickly turned it off, flipped on my emergency heat lamp then made a quick run to Walmart and bought another heater (on sale for $10).

Got back and plugged in the heater, buttoned up the wet bay and within 15 minutes the probe was reading *60F. Whew! The outside temp had dropped to 8*f and it was -2*F when I got up this morning. The wet bay was a balmy *71F.

This could have been a disaster! Glad I glance at the wet bay temp frequently.

Incidently, Flash the cat is sleeping with me again.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:55 AM   #14

It would take many hours at 31F for your tanks to freeze, if they even froze at all. Water doesn't freeze solid in an instant or a few minutes.

To better learn your system, get an infrared thermometer and check your temps in many places.
As of this Sunday afternoon, we will have gone through 7 complete days below freezing and several nights in low teens and was 4F above at 0700 Saturday morning. I have a 1500 watt oil filled heater in the coach set at 65 (lowest it will go) and the furnace at 55F. All of my internal plumbing has not gone below 43F including the fresh water tank under the bed.
My uninsulated and unheated wet bay is a different story. My tanks are completely empty right now except for about 1.5 gallons of RV anti-freeze in both to protect the valves. I did have a little waste in the tanks and the tank heaters kept the tank portion at 35F at the water line and the air temp above was warmer, however that did not hold true for the valves. As the waste lines came out of the tank, the temp dropped rapidly getting to air temp (17F) at the drain side of the valves. I put a 120A / 75W light under the bay with the hatch cover open and the 5 gallon bucket flush to the bottom of the bay. The connector for the drain warmed nicely, but not the valve or tank side plumbing. My bay is too small to put in a heater. I am going to try this again with a heat lamp bulb.

In the last week have used this artic freeze to learn more about my coach and water systems than I probably would have been able to learn in 5 years. We brought this one home in the first week of March 2017, and I was freaking out at lows in the mid-upper 20s. Now I know better what I need to do. During the summer, I will work on making the water draining process easier and more complete if I feel the need to drain it (but I probably won't).

Tags
tank