Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
In my opinion, all assembly line coaches are about the same.
Freightliner or Spartan chassis
cummins engine
onan generator (cummins)
dometic or norcold or residential frig
dometic or carefree awnings and toppers
atwood or suburban water heater and furnace
coleman or dometic air conditioners
goodyear or michelin tires
fiberglass outer walls with full body paint
lippert leveling and steps
schwintek or lippert slide systems

The appearance and floor plan were the primary decision
makers for us. High-end bus conversions (Prevost or Mci) is
another world. Custom coaches (foretravel newell etc is
a more affordable? other world. The rest are all mainstream
brands that roll down and assembly line, and the quality
control is left to the dealer and the first purchaser.
And yes, it is perfectly OK not to like any brand that you
don't like ! I've been happy with mine for 6 years and 80,000miles.
Was/is it perfect.... heck no.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post

cummins engine
onan generator (cummins)

The rest are all mainstream brands that roll down and assembly line, and the quality control is left to the dealer and the first purchaser.
Definitely not true. You're talking of RV components, not putting those components into a quality motorhome build. Newmar does over 100 tests when they come off the line. If a problem arises it's sent back for a fix and then undergoes a test again. Quality control is not left up to the dealer and first purchaser. You state you bought yours based on 'fluff' and floorplan and you had problems. That's why.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/why-newmar...-construction/

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
I am with you as well ...I was looking forward to the new Ventana LE 4042 as I have 3 kids and wanted two bathrooms ...but then they put a dinette in the coach that is the opposite of family friendly. We need the dinette as a seating option while driving and to eat inside on rainy or very hot days ....strange being a bunk model and you would think family, but the living space looks like it is designed for two.
So, have Newmar change it. Very simple. We've ordered two DSDP's and they made custom changes to both of them not listed in the brochure or option list.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #18

I did ask newmar ... Seems there is not enough room with slides in to do a dinette.

... But it is still one of our favorite even if it doesn't work for our family now. ... And one of the best looking no matter which model on the road and at camp.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #19

Is it ok to not like a Newmar?

Another option is to buy a used Newmar with the chassis features that you like and then pay a company to fully remodel the inside. The end result is cheaper than you would imagine, plus it matches to a "tee" what you want.

Check out this thread on remodeling.

You can spend 250k - you want a tag - you like a full wall slide... and..

skip to post 101
Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
cummins engine
onan generator (cummins)

The appearance and floor plan were the primary decision
makers for us. High-end bus conversions (Prevost or Mci) is
another world. Custom coaches (foretravel newell etc is
a more affordable? other world. The rest are all mainstream
brands that roll down and assembly line, and the quality
control is left to the dealer and the first purchaser.
And yes, it is perfectly OK not to like any brand that you
don't like ! I've been happy with mine for 6 years and 80,000miles.
Was/is it perfect.... heck no.
A few years ago while in Pomona we camped next to a new Marathon. Following the drag races the owner said he was taking the coach back to the factory as he was really unhappy with a number of issues including a leak. As someone stated there will always be one that can have an issue.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #21
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Gordon, I must say, (I've heard somewhere, it's the "built by human hands" thing, therefore it's supposedly impossible for it to be perfect).......but two million dollars, with several issues....AND a leak. (woah) It's just dang hard to get my brain around that y' know? Just sayin'. I feel for that guy.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #22

Redo the interior to your liking. Met a guy that bought a 2008 Monaco Camelot who gutted the interior and $40 grand later had the interior he wanted.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hey Gordon, I must say, (I've heard somewhere, it's the "built by human hands" thing, therefore it's supposedly impossible for it to be perfect).......but two million dollars, with several issues....AND a leak. (woah) It's just dang hard to get my brain around that y' know? Just sayin'. I feel for that guy.

Regards,
W.D.
Exactly - human hands and have to make some money to stay in business.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Definitely not true. You're talking of RV components, not putting those components into a quality motorhome build. Newmar does over 100 tests when they come off the line. If a problem arises it's sent back for a fix and then undergoes a test again. Quality control is not left up to the dealer and first purchaser. You state you bought yours based on 'fluff' and floorplan and you had problems. That's why.

Quality construction is a Newmar hallmark | Newmar
Maybe every Newmar is fine when it leaves the factory. I doubt it though. Every one we looked at, about a dozen, was misaligned, had loose parts, had various flaws by the time it was delivered to the dealer. We've been to four dealers, by the way.

And every dealer says "we always take care of what needs fixing after we get it from the factory.

Well, if that much stuff fell apart on the trip from the factory to the dealer, then what's going to happen when a buyer goes on their first trip.

We've gone with money in hand several times - many times - and still have QC issues with all manufacturers. All manufacturers that we can afford, that is.

I have no idea if a Newell or Prevost is any better.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
I have no idea if a Newell or Prevost is any better.
Evidently not Peterson, refer back to Gordon's post. That Prevost Marathon he was parked next to was brand new.

Call me crazy, but for that kind of money, and the time it takes to do a build on a Marathon, (up to 10 months) I would think it should be tighter.
Regards,
W.D.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Evidently not Peterson, refer back to Gordon's post. That Prevost Marathon he was parked next to was brand new.

Call me crazy, but for that kind of money, and the time it takes to do a build on a Marathon, (up to 10 months) I would think it should be tighter.
Regards,
W.D.
You would think so for that kind of money.

However I wonder how much, if anything, can be attributed to operator error? Did the owner always level the coach before putting out the slides or did he put the slides out when the coach was way out of level? (I am not sure of the procedure Marathon has but the question is did the owner always follow it or did he make a "mistake"?) Not many will say they did not level the coach before deploying the slides and heard a great big crack!

At issue as well is how the operator uses the unit. No unit can be made 'childproof' to the extent that problems will not be created.

Or how the operator uses the unit that cannot be tested for. How many tested the water pump and checked for leaks from end to end? How many left the water pump on and then went for a drive for an hour down a rough road and checked for leaks? Most of us have forgot to turn the pump off occasionally had an issue. Should the factory run the coach for an hour testing for leaks? How many miles would you expect the manufacturer to test your unit for before they released it?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #27
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
You would think so for that kind of money.

However I wonder how much, if anything, can be attributed to operator error? Did the owner always level the coach before putting out the slides or did he put the slides out when the coach was way out of level? (I am not sure of the procedure Marathon has but the question is did the owner always follow it or did he make a "mistake"?) Not many will say they did not level the coach before deploying the slides and heard a great big crack!

At issue as well is how the operator uses the unit. No unit can be made 'childproof' to the extent that problems will not be created.

Or how the operator uses the unit that cannot be tested for. How many tested the water pump and checked for leaks from end to end? How many left the water pump on and then went for a drive for an hour down a rough road and checked for leaks? Most of us have forgot to turn the pump off occasionally had an issue. Should the factory run the coach for an hour testing for leaks? How many miles would you expect the manufacturer to test your unit for before they released it?

Those are darn good points I have wondered myself too, and I couldn't state any better. Operator error, or ignorance, be it from carelessness or honest mistakes....(stuff happens to us all)....can probably break almost anything sooner or later.

However I have to also say.....the more money spent the more careful one would be, you'd think right? Heck none of these things are cheap.

In any case, I'm a card carryin' motorcoach enthusiast.

Regards,
W.D.
P.S. sorry if I got somewhat.

Tags
newmar