Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #1

Question Is it possible to control cat litter dust?

We are going to be living full-time in our 2006 Thor Four Winds Hurricane 34N as of June.
We have four cats & at home the litter dust is an issue so I can only imagine what it will be like in the RV.
We switched to wheat litter from clay as we read it produces less dust & it is healthier for the cats to breathe & better for the environment. Is there any way to control or minimize the amount of dust generated without putting a cover over it?
Len
LGClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the kitty litter from Costco. In a covered litter box. With one of those pads that catches litter in front of the box where the kitties step. The box is in the shower (easy to set aside when we take showers). No dust problem at all, and very little stray litter outside the box.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You can buy dust-free catlitter.

We use it and it is pretty much dust-free.

Clump & Seal Lightweight by Arm & Hammer
Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #4

Do not buy the light weight junk. Very dusty. No longer have cats but we tried it in the house and it was like someone blew up a can of talc.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
You can buy dust-free catlitter.

We use it and it is pretty much dust-free.

Clump & Seal Lightweight by Arm & Hammer
X2: best stuff ever. No dust at all.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Do not buy the light weight junk. Very dusty. No longer have cats but we tried it in the house and it was like someone blew up a can of talc.

Also reported health problems for cats from breathing the dust. Google lightweight litter issues. My elderly (16) girl developed breathing issues within 2 weeks of starting to use lightweight. Tracks all over house/RV too. Should be taken off the market IMHO. - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #7

We use the Breeze litter system by Tidy Cat. Love it! Very easy maintenance.
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A covered box limits but does not eliminate the amount of dust that escapes.

Now you have some choices.. On the hard floors (Wood or tile) mop often Long story but this is how we did it at my Mother's house.

Carpet.. I have a Shampooer. It sucks up dust nicely, dampens it down, and dump it down ye old dump station. (Toilet).
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

I'm not sure I understand where everyone is getting this dust complaint? While pouring it into the box, or while cleaning the box or where? I just don't see it.

Anyway, we Purina Tidy Cats LightWeight Clumping Cat Litter. I may try the Clump & Seal Lightweight by Arm & Hammer next time and see if there is a difference. We also use a Lift n' Sift Cat Litter Tray System I picked up at a Goodwill store. I love that. You just lift up the screen section and the clean litter goes through the screen while the clumped litter stays on the screen.

We use the lightweight litter because I built a "cathouse" up behind the bedroom TV where the two cats have their automatic feeders https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-5-Mea...omatic+feeders and the one litter box. The litter box is about shoulder high and using the heavy litter makes the box too heavy for me to safely remove to clean. I placed a piece of scrap carpet down and every once in awhile I just remove the carpet and shake it out. The cathouse has a ramp built into the rear of the bedroom closet and a small opening at floor level for them to escape into the closet. I did this because we also have a very energetic puppy and the cats need a place to "chill out" every once in awhile.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

We have four cats and believe me we go through a lot of clumping litter so the expensive stuff is not an option. We use generic clumping litter from the local supermarket with a large enclosed litter box which I made from a Wal Mart plastic tub with a snap on lid and the dust is not a big problem. A problem that we did run into was that one of the cats was allergic to the scented litter (Tidy Cats) so we had to switch to unscented litter. The bigger issue was cat hair and not litter. I just do a quick vacuum every morning and the coach stays pretty clean.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Ultimate Solution to Cat Litter Problems

At the risk of offending (we have two cats, but they do not go in the RV) the very best solution to the issue of wet, dirty, smelly cat litter boxes (and cat feeding areas) is to get rid of the cats.

Don't find much redeeming value in being a doorman for creatures that are NEVER on the right side of the door.

White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Probably wouldn't get rid of my 3 but I hear your voice. They're all cute when they're kittens....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have, and travel with, 8 cats, we use a private label litter from a groomer and it works well. Minimal dust, great clumping and little odor. . . we use covered boxes, 6 in the house but only 2 in the coach...both are cleaned several times each day. Prior to this litter we used Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Multi Cat, but did not care for the lightweight because of the dust. I'll find the name of the product, it is great. It is also sed by our rescue group...housing over 100 cats and kittens.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Cloud View Post
At the risk of offending (we have two cats, but they do not go in the RV) the very best solution to the issue of wet, dirty, smelly cat litter boxes (and cat feeding areas) is to get rid of the cats.

Don't find much redeeming value in being a doorman for creatures that are NEVER on the right side of the door.

Funny you should say that. Just the other day I overheard the Shadow and Mocha say "ya know with the automatic feeders we really don't need these smelly loud obnoxious always calling us like we are interested in doing what they want humans anymore. Why don't we get rid of them and we will have this entire house to ourselves."

Our cats have been in 48 states and 4 Canadian Provinces with us. The puppy at 10 months old has only been in 14 states and 4 Canadian Provinces.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat