Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Is it the Trucks or the Time of Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
...I would not blame it all on the truck drivers. You have the 4 wheelers out there are getting off work and in such a big hurry to make it home or wherever they might be going.

Agreed ... but I was likely not clear that my discussion was focused on open-road driving away from cities. Cars on the open road appear (mostly) ok to me (and they don't threaten to sideswipe me) .. but in the cities ... we'll that is a WHOLE different story. Not sure if we want to entwine that into this thread though?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As we get older, other factors also come into play:

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #17

There are probably a good many people who own rv's who should never drive one nor tow one. Certainly we gain experience more slowly than OTR drivers do.
That said: In the years that I was buying truckloads of newsprint paper, I saw a massive decline in the quality of driver. Our dock was more tricky than most to get to. But there was a time that every driver would do it without comment. When our country ran into a shortage of drivers, we had an increase in foreign born drivers coming in and also young, inexperienced drivers. It was then common to see docking take 30 minutes or more. And I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Having ridden motorcycle for a large majority of my life ALL of you drivers are dangerous..................

Only reason I am still alive is due to Defensive Driving
Isn't this the truth!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
At that time of day some of them might have the hammer down trying to get to their chosen truck stop of choice for the evening before the parking lot fills up.

I've driven almost everything with wheels on it, and flown quite a bit with wings on it (and without lol), and like others have said, good and bad in every group unfortunately. Just keep your wits and don't let it get to you, pull off and take a breather if needed to let the traffic die down.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #20

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

🙄😳🙄

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Having ridden motorcycle for a large majority of my life ALL of you drivers are dangerous..................

X+2.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Old-Biscuit
As you know there's no such thing as an old bad motorcycle rider.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

As in pets must be on leash, speed limit ?? mph, passing in left lane only, the rules don't apply to them! Rules are for the other people to follow, not the trucker or the speeding 4-wheeler, or the kid on the crotch rocket that is screaming by on the right side!! Drive Defensive and give lots of room, somebody moves in the space give up more space! Watch out for the other guy!!

Ralph 2005 Alpine 40FDQS

Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good and thoughtful observation! I-80 is where I got my distaste for the good life on the road. It seems to be more like a battleground and they are all bigger than us

All you can really do is lock into their speed and try to stay out of the way. The truck stops are full, the rest stops are not accessible in the summer or even closed, so some of those guys may be pulling a shift much longer than they should be.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #25

We spent some family time on I80 two Friday's ago heading to a race with a 40' rv pulling a 28' trailer with the toy. I passed some 18 wheelers, and passed some 18 wheelers. Only had one person in a car trying to merge way too slowly and I was stuck in the right lane. Sorry dude. Mostly everyone was well behaved. Lots and lots of trucks. Sometimes driving defensively and not getting your shorts in a wad can make the trip a whole lot more pleasant.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
We spent some family time on I80 two Friday's ago heading to a race with a 40' rv pulling a 28' trailer with the toy. I passed some 18 wheelers, and passed some 18 wheelers. Only had one person in a car trying to merge way too slowly and I was stuck in the right lane. Sorry dude. Mostly everyone was well behaved. Lots and lots of trucks. Sometimes driving defensively and not getting your shorts in a wad can make the trip a whole lot more pleasant.

Sir, not quite sure what you are getting at. I am trying to relate many miles of observation. I drove I40 from Nashville to Barstow , then I80 from Sacramento to DesMoines. All told more than 5000 miles. Truth told (for whatever reason ) I80 was in general better than I40, with I40 in the west being the worst . (Not sure why). Like I said , many good drivers. But the difference is that it only takes one bad driver to make for a REALLY bad day
Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Sir, not quite sure what you are getting at. I am trying to relate many miles of observation. I drove I40 from Nashville to Barstow , then I80 from Sacramento to DesMoines. All told more than 5000 miles. Truth told (for whatever reason ) I80 was in general better than I40, with I40 in the west being the worst . (Not sure why). Like I said , many good drivers. But the difference is that it only takes one bad driver to make for a REALLY bad day
Just relaying my experience. Certainly not discrediting anything anyone else stated. Was not directed specifically at anyone.