Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it time for new airbags?

Ok folks here is another issue with our 06 navigator. 43' with 10 Bilisten air bags. When we returned home and parked our rig it was level. Over the last month, the passenger side has dropped a lot-to the point that side of the coach was only about an inch from sitting on the tires!!! Is this normal? As soon as I start the engine and build air tank pressure it comes right back up and the "travel mode" light comes on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I would say you obviously have a leak. Listen for air escaping with coach off and air pressure up. The bags have solenoids to control air in and out of the bags that can leak or not close completely. It could be a line to the bags.

markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Over time any system will bleed down.

It may not be your airbags, I have only read of a couple instances where one has actually failed. You may have a leak in your leveling system which is letting the one side deflate. This can be checked by checking each connection with a soapy solution, you will see air bubbles. Also check the manifold block.

If I'm not mistaken your system should do a check every ~30 minutes and if necessary the small air compressor should start to inflate the system. You may have trouble with your leveling system if it isn't doing the self leveling process.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Over time any system will bleed down.

It may not be your airbags, I have only read of a couple instances where one has actually failed. You may have a leak in your leveling system which is letting the one side deflate. This can be checked by checking each connection with a soapy solution, you will see air bubbles. Also check the manifold block.

If I'm not mistaken your system should do a check every ~30 minutes and if necessary the small air compressor should start to inflate the system. You may have trouble with your leveling system if it isn't doing the self leveling process.

I failed to put in my original post that this is happening without the leveling system being used. Sorry about that. After our last trip we just pulled it into our storage area and I didn't level the coach as the area we park it in is very level.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Why do you leave the coach aired up while sitting for a month. Dump air and let it sit on the bumpers. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:54 AM   #6

Adam, thank you for your post. We are fairly new class A owners so we have a lot to learn yet. We are very grateful to this forum because it has been so helpful. I read our owners manual and it did not address how to park the coach for extended periods other than winterizing etc. after your post I even went back and re read that section again and it said nothing about just dumping the air. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the air was dumped only when you were going to use the air leveling system. I didn't realize you could just dump the air and it would rest on bumpers. Heck the manual never mentions bumpers!! You would think an owners manual would address that lol. This coach is so much more sophisticated than our 5th wheel or the little Winnie we had. Thanks again for the info. I'll dump the air on it today and that may solve the problem entirely.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Adam, thank you for your post. We are fairly new class A owners so we have a lot to learn yet. We are very grateful to this forum because it has been so helpful. I read our owners manual and it did not address how to park the coach for extended periods other than winterizing etc. after your post I even went back and re read that section again and it said nothing about just dumping the air. I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the air was dumped only when you were going to use the air leveling system. I didn't realize you could just dump the air and it would rest on bumpers. Heck the manual never mentions bumpers!! You would think an owners manual would address that lol. This coach is so much more sophisticated than our 5th wheel or the little Winnie we had. Thanks again for the info. I'll dump the air on it today and that may solve the problem entirely.
Do you also have jacks? If so I'd dump the air, put jacks down, bring it up a couple inches with the jacks and be done (been doing it this way forever).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You are not experiencing anything that unusual. Your doing well to make it a month.
Just air down when parked like that for storage.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Do you also have jacks? If so I'd dump the air, put jacks down, bring it up a couple inches with the jacks and be done (been doing it this way forever).
No jacks. It is an air level system.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

An air leveling system usually has an auxiliary air pump to keep pressure up while parked (when the engine compressor is off). Yours may not be functioning if the air bags go soft while parked. It is typically 12v powered and it should cycle on automatically once in a while when air pressure drops.

Some loss of air in the suspension is normal - it will never be 100% air tight and usually they need some tightening up or repair periodically as well. The air bags themselves are probably good for 20 years or more. Leaks are usually in connectors or air lines or control valves and not the bags.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I think this all may be normal. Since he just parked in storage (opposed to actually leveling on a site), I doubt that the air leveling is coming into play. I don't know about the OP's '06, but if I park without switching from travel mode to level, I would expect mine to leak out over time as well since the leveling system will not be active.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check your Haldex leveling valves on the suspension. That usually what leaks.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #13

I have experienced severe air loss overnight in bitter cold weather. I'm not sure what the problem is but the front end of the coach goes way down by morning. I don't level with jacks down very often when just spending the night boon docking in a parking lot or truck stop. My signature shows the info on my MH. I just start the engine and it airs right up before I move. I'm FT so I start and move almost daily. Any advice for me would be appreciated as well and may also help the original poster.
rvftnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvftnewbie View Post
I have experienced severe air loss overnight in bitter cold weather. I'm not sure what the problem is but the front end of the coach goes way down by morning. I don't level with jacks down very often when just spending the night boon docking in a parking lot or truck stop. My signature shows the info on my MH. I just start the engine and it airs right up before I move. I'm FT so I start and move almost daily. Any advice for me would be appreciated as well and may also help the original poster.
As was said the first stop should always be the levelling/ride height valve(s). I've chased leaks down and the only real way to do it is get under there with soapy water (or whatever leak finding liquid you like)..you really need access to a pit or some other SAFE way to be under the coach to do it. My previous BlueBird had air seat slide locks, air steps, air tilt lock, air this, air that..that was a leak finding nerd's dream (but not mine). I like my current BlueBird with just air brakes, suspension and horn..a lot less leak chasing!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote