Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #1

Is it worth buying 1990 Pace Arrow

My Co-Worker has a 1990 Pace Arrow 38' tame-den axle that he is thinking about selling. I think he is asking about $2500 for it and could get it for maybe around $2000. It has been setting in a storage unit for about 3-5 years. He tried to start it the other day and it would only run with starter fluid sprayed into the carb. don't think the fuel pump is working. Also have hydraulic leveling system, over/underdrive transmission. Newer Michelin tires but they are flat spotted. Inside is a mess. Has a water leak in the dinning area and the side paneling is buckling apart. Over all not bad. Wondering if it's worth buying and investing money into this Class A? Well need new house batteries (don't know how much those are) Roof leak repaired and the interior updated and fix. I can do much of the work myself, mechanic by trade. But the roof is time I don't have and thinking it could be a costly repair. I am always looking for something cheap to buy and not have to put much into it. But is it worth it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

For even $2000 I would walk away. Not used for that long, won't run, tires old, all fuilds, belts, hoses need changing. Tune up and then you have a leak problem that can be more than appearances. 3 years ago I purchased an 87 Allegro for under $3000. Over the next 2 years I put about $3000 into it and it was awesome when I finished. Great starter MH. I sold it to a friend for less then I had into it, because it still needed some work, which he can do, and he loves it. I wouldn't do it again. Unless you can do almost all the work yourself you are going to have a money pit.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are willing to put the time and money into it to make it a good motorhome, then MAYBE. It will definitely be a labor of love with no chance of getting your money back out of it.

Since you mention that it has a carb and not fuel injection it must be a Chevy (Fords were FI by then). That also means no overdrive on the trans so with that big of a coach you are looking at 5 mpg.

Find something a few years newer without water damage.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just met a guy who bought a 1993 Pace Arrow in immaculate condition minus needing new batteries. He paid $5000. My point is you will have this much in the 1990 before you ever get it on the road if you are lucky, and thats doing most of the work yourself. There are plenty of them out there for under 10K that don't need anything. You just have to look & be patient. More than likely there will be more in the spring come up when people think there will be a better chance of selling. But then again if they sell in the fall they don't have to winterize or store for the winter. Keep looking!!!
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would PASS. Been there done that. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can get it for free, it may not be too bad of a buy. You would actually be doing the owner a favor by taking it off his hands, so he wouldn't have too pay the storage fee. The biggest can of worms is the side buckling and damage to the inside from the roof leak. If your good at wood working that will help. Since you're a mechanic you should be able too do the rest, if you have the time. Get the cost of everything it needs then decide how much you are willing to put in it. Don't worry about getting back the money back you put into it, because you won't. We know we will never get back the money we have invested in our coach, but we did not buy it as an investment. We bought it because we like it and have no plans on selling it. You are the only one that can decide if it is worth the time and money to fix it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

<<< Inside is a mess. Has a water leak in the dinning area and the side paneling is buckling apart. Over all not bad. >>>

Not bad? This sounds like the worst kind of bad to me! Mechanical stuff, tires, batteries, stuff like that aren't bad. When you start talking water damage though, that's bad. It's the number one reason for scrapping an RV.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

I recently bought a 99 5th wheel with some water damage. The owner said he had sealed it up, but the 1st rain on it told me he wasnt successful. With some scraping and resealing with self leveling sealewr and roof coat, it is now well sealed. It doesnt look so great on the outside, but it doesnt leak.
I had to replace some of the wood, insulation and panelling on the inside. Overall, it has been a great deal for me.
Guess my point is, if you can do this stuff yourself, it can be a good deal....if you are hiring it out, maybe not so much...Pretty much your call
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16R,!y0E9s2S6cvTBR+kuC6)Qg~~48_20.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	46785   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (2).JPG
Views:	170
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	46786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (2).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	46787  
Old 09-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
<<< Inside is a mess. Has a water leak in the dinning area and the side paneling is buckling apart. Over all not bad. >>>

Not bad? This sounds like the worst kind of bad to me! Mechanical stuff, tires, batteries, stuff like that aren't bad. When you start talking water damage though, that's bad. It's the number one reason for scrapping an RV.
Like I said if it free, he could then strip the paneling and then determine if its worth investing the time and money into.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
89 and 90 Pace Arrows and Southwinds had severe issues with delamination and roof to end cap leaks. I would not get involved with one. You can't tell how bad the structural damage is without opening a wall. We had an 89 Pace Arrow and we had to hzve both sidewalls rebuilt....$17,000.00 .

Ken
Old 09-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Just met a guy who bought a 1993 Pace Arrow in immaculate condition minus needing new batteries. He paid $5000. My point is you will have this much in the 1990 before you ever get it on the road if you are lucky, and thats doing most of the work yourself. There are plenty of them out there for under 10K that don't need anything. You just have to look & be patient. More than likely there will be more in the spring come up when people think there will be a better chance of selling. But then again if they sell in the fall they don't have to winterize or store for the winter. Keep looking!!!
this makes since to me. It's how much it is worth when you are done come paired to the market value. I know I won't ever get what I put into it back out. With the water damage you can't see it until you unwrap it. That is we're I back out. Thanks to all that pipe in on his thread. Maybe it will help others to think before jumping in on what looks like a great deal. I rather start with a clean unit than one that is almost total.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

Hey Dad's toy, take a look at some of the cheap diesels located at PPL in Houston, you will be surprised at how cheaply you can get into a DP.
1992 Allegro Bay By Tiffin 37 for Sale - D714 - PPL Motor Homes
Now if your forte is gas, here's one of them
1995 Storm W for Sale - A178NB - PPL Motor Homes
Hope this helps
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Water leaks !!!!!!!! BAD NEWS !!!!! You'll have mold in the walls.
The only thing that'll fix it is a quart o gas and a match.
And remember - Nothing is totally free .
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #14

Hey thanks for the links. That's what we needed to find was a good website with great deals. Got to keep an eye out for one on PPL site. Semper Fi

Tags
pace arrow