Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Covered RV Storage

I acquired a 2003 Monaco Signature a couple of years ago and it looked new on both the exterior and interior. At least one of the previous owners had it stored indoors so there is a lot to say about how an RV is stored. We have no space to store the RV on our property so the cost of storage becomes an issue. We tried "covered storage" at a local storage area in Southern California for about a year but found out that the cover didn't help with respect to dirt accumulation and we wondered a bit about the solar panels on the roof being able to function properly to maintain the batteries while in storage. Right now we're taking our chances at another storage facility with uncovered parking. Time will tell

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I would love to see a few completed pictures. Thanks!
As requested, a few pics of today's progress. He still has to decide between a bi-fold or roll up door (not included in the $7k total for the kit & labor). A concrete floor can be added if the shed morphs into a shop in the future but for now the MH will out be of the weather with fhu's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_104306.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	100045   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_104215.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	100046  

Name:	20150713_104320.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	100047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3165.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	100048  

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	100050  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have had both covered and uncovered storage in the years we lived in Las Vegas and would always prefer the covered. Far less sun damage and elbow grease to keep it waxed. In the upcoming days, cost will be the deciding factor as the house we are buying is deed restricted and does not allow RV parking. Most here in south central Texas are uncovered, but there is also enclosed and pole barn type spaces. One place west of here is a build and own your own enclosed facility, but that's a little too rich for my blood.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #60
RGO

I live in a small town in southern Indiana, for $2100/year I store my 40' coach in a bldg. that includes 30A hookup, individual dump station, overhead lighting, 50 degree winter temperature and hot/cold water. I thought the price was a bit high until I read all of these posts!!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Yeow! I'm paying $2556/year in Southern California for uncovered parking for my 40 foot coach with no electrical hookups or water at the space. There is an available dump station and washing facility inside the storage complex. Looks like you've got a good deal and lots of advantages in maintaining your coach!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
As requested, a few pics of today's progress. He still has to decide between a bi-fold or roll up door (not included in the $7k total for the kit & labor). A concrete floor can be added if the shed morphs into a shop in the future but for now the MH will out be of the weather with fhu's.

That seems like a heck of a price. Here in my area, I can't seem to come close to that for the typical "carport" type structures that are fully enclosed.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #63

The storage location where we keep our Bounder has covered storage and a few enclosed. $204.00 monthly for the covered, the enclosed is way more than I would ever pay at $375.00 monthly. Base on our spot the sun only hit one end briefly in the early mornings. There is always a collection of dust here, to be expected right.. in the desert.... Have a fella that washes it every other month, cheap in my mind at $40.00 and does a fantastic job. Wax twice a year. Sun is brutal this time of the year, we figure it is all worth it.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
That seems like a heck of a price. Here in my area, I can't seem to come close to that for the typical "carport" type structures that are fully enclosed.
Mueller's locations are only in Texas but I would think there are metal building suppliers in most areas that offer similar products and pricing. Typical labor costs here run $4-5 per square foot depending on options and construction details. For reference I paid the same builder $5 sq ft (labor) for a similar size bldg with insulation, gutters/downspouts, double walk in doors on one end and a 12x12 roll up door on the other. This was also a Mueller kit. We were able to get a better labor price on the shed by telling our builder to "work us in" his busy schedule and it was a simple build with no options. He guaranteed it would be completed within 30 days and be erected in two working days . He also didn't have to order the building kit, pay for it, or have it transported as my son arranged that and had the kit on site prior to the builder's arrival.

My son's MH is being serviced so just for fun we loaded up the shed to see what it would hold. His 36' TH, my 24' mc hauler with a 6' x 10' MC trailer behind it, and his 3500HD crew cab almost fit. The plan was for the shed to cover his MH & TH... looks like it will work well.

Check with Mueller (link above) and ask if they know of a comparable company in your area. IMO there is no substitute for storing any type of equipment out of the elements and sun if at all possible. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	100225  
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #65

Covered storage will pay for itself in resale the end IMO

Just my $.02

FYI my deal is 53 X 53
Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am in the Houston area (Northwest Harris County) and pay less than $80.00 per month for covered storage with 30amp service. Seeing what others are paying makes me feel great about my deal!
chappgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDZ SIG View Post
Yeow! I'm paying $2556/year in Southern California for uncovered parking for my 40 foot coach with no electrical hookups or water at the space. There is an available dump station and washing facility inside the storage complex. Looks like you've got a good deal and lots of advantages in maintaining your coach!

I too am envious. I live in SoCal. We would love inside storage, but at the local rate of $12/ft/mo without electricity...just can't swing it. I've prearranged (at a great location) a nonelectric outdoor spot for our coach at $220/mo for out 36'8" coach ($6/ft/mo). Couldn't find anything for less. I will check with the lot to see if I can purchase and install my own storage shed. It has to be better than not being covered.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar

Tags
storage