RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #1

Is Jayco precept 34G overweight on wall slide side

Iím looking to buy a Jayco precept 2020 34G . Itís 36.5 feet long
Wheel base is 238
It has a very large wall slide that includes the residential refrig and washer/dryer unit . Does anyone know if the unit is overweight on that side right out of the factory ? Is it unsafe ? RV consumer group says it has ďdesign deficienciesĒ , probably related to the long slide with galley
Any help is appreciated
Ty

jill705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What RV Consumer group? Didn't know they existed. Did you happen to look to see what is on the left side? Batteries, for example, are moved around by the manufacturer to balance the chassis. Ask the dealer or the manufacturer to give you some wheel weights - I think you are going to find that it is better balanced side to side then you think.

And if you are still not happy, go look at something else. Lots of well made 36 ft gas units from Tiffin and Newmar.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ty! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never heard anything about that. Noticed that you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have zero faith in RV Consumer Group - a bunch of armchair paper analysts using unproven criteria. I give them credit for their intention and efforts, but their methods leave a lot to be desired.

That said, the Precept seems to be no better than average for an entry level motorhome and the owner reports I've seen here and elsewhere indicate the design and build quality is only fair. Noisy cab, mediocre ride & handling, frequent minor build quality issues, etc. I have no personal experience with them, so please take this as "internet rumor".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #5

I wouldn't be worried about the weight on one side but I would want to make sure the rig wasn't too close to its GVWR when empty. You want to have carrying capacity for you and all your stuff. Class As don't seem to have this problem as often but ya never know.

Did a quick search and see that compared to the 2019 model, the 2020 has a lower GVWR. The 20 shows a 22,000 lb GVWR, the 19 at 24,000 lbs. Of course neither of these by themselves tells us much but it is kind of odd to see the decrease.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill705 View Post
I’m looking to buy a Jayco precept 2020 34G . It’s 36.5 feet long
Wheel base is 238
It has a very large wall slide that includes the residential refrig and washer/dryer unit . Does anyone know if the unit is overweight on that side right out of the factory ? Is it unsafe ? RV consumer group says it has “design deficiencies” , probably related to the long slide with galley
Any help is appreciated
Ty
Looking at the specs here and on Jayco's site: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020-...an-34g-tr43231 I see these comparisons with mine that jumped out, which is probably a similar list price and also is a 22,000 lb chassis but with a 242" wheelbase. "Significant" means to us:

- Jayco has a much better warranty versus 1 yr/12,000 miles
- 36.5' versus 37.9' (not significant)
- 72 gals of fresh versus 82 gals (probably not significant)
- 40 gals of gray water versus 52 gals (big difference potentially)
- 50 gal black versus 52 (not significant)
- 16.5 gals of propane versus 24.5 gals (significant)
- Noticeably less basement storage doors? Are they all pass-through? Ours are, although the middle is only 9" high.
- 1,000 watt inverter versus 2,000 watt (significant)

I'm not going to discuss slideouts and floorplans because that is up to your needs.

My point is not to say mine is "better" because it depends on your needs and how you plan to use it. My suggestion is to look at differences like the ones above and then decide if the Precept really is the one for you. Several salespeople knew less about the units we were looking at than we did and told us that most people just look at the floorplan and color and then complain after they've bought.

One notable example is a person who needed to tow 8,000 lbs. Thankfully he had that requirement written into the sales contract. The dealer told him the motorhome he selected could have an 8,000 lb hitch installed. After his special order was delivered the dealer told him they could not replace the 5,000 lb hitch because the structure would not support it. If he had not had that clause written into the contract he would be stuck with a $150,000 motorhome he could not use. As it is, he's in discussions with the dealer to cancel the sale but this mess seriously screwed up his plans and timetables. That will be a battle for him either way,

Can you share how you plan to use it? That would give readers a better chance at spotting something that might cause you some grief for your intended use.

As one person noted, the weights are very important. Go look at the model you're planning to buy and take pictures of all the stickers that usually are next to or just behind the driver and post them here. Those will give you a good idea of how much payload capacity you really will have.

For example, our one sticker says we can load over 2,800 lbs. But another sticker that shows the weight with full fuel and full fresh water shows we can only add just over 2,000 lbs. While that still seems like a lot of weight, two adults + two large dogs + stuff for a two week trip added over 1,500 lbs.

We don't travel with full fresh water normally so that's another 400 lb margin. But if we're planning to carry six people, the number of seatbelts we have, we could end up overweight.

HTH,

Ray
Old 11-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

Important numbers are dry weight and GVWR. Most class C and gas class A are so close overweight as the roll off the build line. DP's have a greater differential dry weight to GVWR.

NXR really covered everything.
Good luck with your search.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Agree with jth - I notice the specs don't tell you the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (weight as built with fuel, oil and coolants). I'd want to know what that is and I think the vehicles are weighed at the factory after build.
They provide GVWR and Tow weight (capacity) - seems to leave out a few other values like GCWR.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, slide, weight