Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Question Is Kwikee Step in business??

Hey all - need your help!

I have a Kwikee step on my old Damon that was damaged and needs replaced. My model number (903806000) with a Motor # (909506000) - easy, right? Here's the rub; Kwikee no longer makes this model specifically.

I went to their website and found several that are "close" by way of measurements and such (38 Series and 39 Series, maybe even the 28 Series). Their site offers no tech advice and when I call, I get a recording that basically says they don't want to talk to customers (great service! ), when I email their link it is returned as 'undeliverable'.

So I called three of their online dealers - none of the three have any advice they can offer - they only sell the new stuff and can't advise me on a replacement model or technical help.

Bottom line - I want Kwikee so that my coach remains original including and especially the wiring harness and door switch (generic versions require you install their own door switch), but I can't get Kwikee to even pretend that I am important to them as a customer.

Help?

Rocket -

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket728
Hey all - need your help!

I have a Kwikee step on my old Damon that was damaged and needs replaced. My model number (903806000) with a Motor # (909506000) - easy, right? Here's the rub; Kwikee no longer makes this model specifically.

I went to their website and found several that are "close" by way of measurements and such (38 Series and 39 Series, maybe even the 28 Series). Their site offers no tech advice and when I call, I get a recording that basically says they don't want to talk to customers (great service! ), when I email their link it is returned as 'undeliverable'.

So I called three of their online dealers - none of the three have any advice they can offer - they only sell the new stuff and can't advise me on a replacement model or technical help.

Bottom line - I want Kwikee so that my coach remains original including and especially the wiring harness and door switch (generic versions require you install their own door switch), but I can't get Kwikee to even pretend that I am important to them as a customer.

Help?

Rocket -
Power gear and kwikee are the same co. I have gotten responses to pg issues at info@powergearus.com . Try it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is an email address

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Kwikee Steps

Rocket - as clifftall says Kwikee is now part of Power Gear - the website is www.powergearus.com and they have a link for 'Technical Documents' but currently do not have any specific info for the Damon MH's but they do have a tech hotline - 1-800 334-4712 ( is this the number you called?) -try and contact them - have your Kwikee step parts info with you as they will need this and they can cross reference this info for you for a replacement - if you go on the Kwikee site and click on the 'Literature' link, then the 'step part numbers' ( I think you have done this already) you will notice that the motor and switch control unit # 909506000 is common to several replacement kits so you may have to take some measurements from your steps to match up whatever parts you need - your model # 903806000 may have been superceded by a new number currently on the list but check with Power Gear first -they do list an owners manual for your model number- hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Thanks, guys - your information might get me closer.

When I call the 800 number however, I get the same response as the other line, which is along the lines of "if you are an owner-operator, contact a dealer, if you are a dealer, you know the 'double-secret probation' number for dealers - try us on that line..."..

These guys clearly do not believe in customer service! I did notice that the motor # is still in production (thanks RV Mech Tech), so I could take a chance on the step itself. I was only trying to avoid the whole "ship-it, ship it back, ship it again, ship it back again" thing if I can't get the right step the first time.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will send an email to the new address in the meantime.

Rocket
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I got a replacement motor and module on E-Bay a lot cheaper than thru Kwikee and it works fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Thanks ShellBak - unfortunately, I destroyed my step when I got too close to a curb and bent the entire thing back about 4 inches . Great move, eh? Need to replace the whole unit.

Rocket
Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket728 View Post
Thanks ShellBak - unfortunately, I destroyed my step when I got too close to a curb and bent the entire thing back about 4 inches . Great move, eh? Need to replace the whole unit.

Rocket
Ebay may have the whole step. Not to worry about what you did, we all get into S^&t. Driving a house around does lead to unexpected problems.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rocket, I know how you feel. I bent the crap out of my step on a trip to Arkansas in Nov. I was able to straighten it enough for it to work halfway, it would not go up all the way but would retract when stopped. I was able to use it when I put some blocks under it when stopped. Anyway, when I returned home, I tried to get Kwikee on the 800 # in the owner's manual, to no avail.

I then decided to take it to the local rv idiot. Well, he charged me $125 to straighten it half way, and welded a part on it wrong. When I picked up the rv, he said it could not be repaired as it had too much wear. Can you believe a four year step had too much wear?
well, I found a new one online and ordered it. When they tell you they all fit the same pattern, don't believe it. After two people working two days (myself and a goood friend) we drilled holes and make it fit.
Most of these companies don't want to deal with the customers. They tell you to go to your local rv dealer and then they rape you. I had the same problem with drive shaft disconnect co.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ha-Ha! Glad to hear I am not the only one!

I found a Kwikee that has the same motor as my current one (which means it should connect with no modification to the door switch, etc.), and it actually has a better profile (smaller) and extends slightly more when open - that would also be an improvement.

Now I just need to find for sure if it is compatible. Based on their website, the measurements are very close but the bolt pattern is different. I don't think that's a problem since I own a drill......

Any more advice is welcomed.

R
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have you tried a RV salvage place? Here is a link to a well known one.
Used RVs and Motorhomes - RV Parts | Colaw RV Parts and Salvage
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK! Raise you hand if you've done it!!
(anybody looking?)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
KWIKEE SINGLE ELECTRIC STEP FOR THE RV - eBay (item 290445778413 end time Jan-12-11 04:32:16 PST)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #14

Same but different...

Many of the steps are the same but have different hole patterns.

We vould a used one with same "a" version motor, we used it as prototype to improve the design as the original side arms always bend.

Our new design now has mulitple axles so it is rock solid, just need to upgrade the motor, it looks the same from the top but all arms must go same time so no sideways rocking.

Anyway, the hole pattern was different, take a piece of plywood and clamp it to the old step, drill out the holes, now clamp this pattern to the "new" step and use a punch to mark and drill the holes, make a punch from a bolt the same size to insure the holes line up.

Now your new step should fit just fine.

While it is out lube up all of the pivots.