Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #1

Is my 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeaver setup for Winter?

This is my very first motorhome. I will be heading from Michigan to Florida in Nov and returning in Dec.

The seller told me the coach was winterized and I have not done anything since bringing it back.

I guess my question is if my coach was built to keep all the tanks and all warm when hooked to shore power.

How much is involved to de-witerize it for my trip, or should I just take to an RV place and have them do it. I also have to check the everything works.

How does my year make/model rate. It has the 5.9 Cummins w/Allison automatic.

Any warnings or precautions appreciated.
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #2

I believe that the only way the basement would be heated is through a duct from your furnace. I had a 97 Imperial and there was no heat duct and my owners manual stated that the vehicle was not set up for winter use.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To unwinterize you simply run water through it to get the pink stuff out if they used it. Some just blow air through it. After that you need to put the valves behind the water heater in the opposite position they are in now and fill water heater BEFORE turning it on.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post

I guess my question is if my coach was built to keep all the tanks and all warm when hooked to shore power.
Except for the engine difference, your coach is probably very much like mine. The only heat that gets into the lower bays comes from running the propane furnace. There a small vents (Black Plastic boxes with openings) that allow some of the ducted furnace heat into the area where the plumbing and tanks are located. Without that furnace running, there is no heat down below.

Other hints:

Front cap goes under the roof, and the curved part flexes a lot and breaks caulk often (a permanent solution is 5200 marine sealant, but it is extremely hard to remove).

Holiday Rambler's seam tape (like eternabond) is not as good as eternabond, so check if periodically. I had to recover a section on the slide top.

Be sure the front clearance lights are caulked all the way around the base (not just the top and sides).

Remove the false floor in the bath lavatory cabinet and seal the large hole left where the plumbing goes through the floor to eliminate odors from the sewage bay.

Weigh the coach (4 corner weight) and check tire capacity and set tire pressures according to tire manufacturers chart. I'd bet your left front is 600 lbs heavier than your right front. Original tires on my coach were running right at the load limit on the left front.

Fred
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #5

Great tips!

I will cover them all.

I did notice one possible problem. I've not yet used the toilet. I did notice the tile on the left side looks to be sinking a bit. It's not a full tile, about 1/3 of one. Could this be possible water soak damage?
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Great tips!

I will cover them all.

I did notice one possible problem. I've not yet used the toilet. I did notice the tile on the left side looks to be sinking a bit. It's not a full tile, about 1/3 of one. Could this be possible water soak damage?
Is the tile or the grout broken? If tile and grout are still intact, then it may just be the way the factory installed it. Unfortunately, you will have to remove (and probably destroy that tile) to determine what has happened. I'd just watch and test for movement. My coach came with a few extra tiles stored under the bed, yours may have the same.

Fred
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
By the way the "Pink" stuff is RV anti freeze and is usually just added to the pipes with water and the holding tanks. An electric light left on in the storage lockers with freezing potential would probably be enough. Ask the sales person,"What does to be winterized mean"? Hopefully he knows.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, winter