Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is propane T valve worth it?

So I assume our LP tank is like most in that there is no hose/connection to something like an external grill. We've got a small Weber (Q-1200) and it would be perfect to just put a hose directly to the grill so as to avoid buying the little cans to heat it. Dealer said the part is over $100 (excluding labor I believe, but not positive on that). We're not full timers yet, but just in general we certainly like to grill at times. For comparison sake, I'd say we grill about 5-7 times a month at home.

Thus, my question is would it be worth it to put a Tee on our LP tank so as to hook up a hose which would then go to the grill? Seems like a lot of hassle and money for such an occasional want, but if we're spending $5-$10 for one of the little cans every time, maybe it would make up for the cost.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Take a look at something like this, to see if it would fit the bill for you.

Scott

https://www.amazon.com/Sturgi-stay-P.../dp/B00CR1YC22

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-7ISFOw3KMmfLA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bi-9B506wi9SpA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HclOH6pliWPH2A

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...k3zfM3b5D8h6HA
Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
So I assume our LP tank is like most in that there is no hose/connection to something like an external grill. We've got a small Weber (Q-1200) and it would be perfect to just put a hose directly to the grill so as to avoid buying the little cans to heat it. Dealer said the part is over $100 (excluding labor I believe, but not positive on that). We're not full timers yet, but just in general we certainly like to grill at times. For comparison sake, I'd say we grill about 5-7 times a month at home.

Thus, my question is would it be worth it to put a Tee on our LP tank so as to hook up a hose which would then go to the grill? Seems like a lot of hassle and money for such an occasional want, but if we're spending $5-$10 for one of the little cans every time, maybe it would make up for the cost.
As to you answer to the question of "Hassle".......I find it a lot easier to get a 20# bottle filled the take my Coach to get its tank filled
Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

I got the Camco Version:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, need to keep my coach propane filled anyway so I always have propane and don't need to carry a separate tank. It also allows you to use a second tank for the RV itself if you ran out and didn't want to move to get the main tank filed.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

It is easier to buy a refillable bottle and be able to set your grill up where ever you prefer. Thus not being "tied" to the coach. The "T" allows you to use an auxiliary tank to supply the coach if needed.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

I did that once. But it always seemed that the propane hose from the RV to the table was just a tad too short. I ended up using a small 5 pound 1 gallon refillable propane tank. That way I could have the grill anywhere on any table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pACE3-15903494enh-z7.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	137129  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Storage is at a premium for me so I use a T valve and a 12' hose. Very easy to install. The Weber grill is not a turkey fryer and uses very little fuel. Most of our meals are cooked outside and probably 90% of the evening meals are prepared on the grill. I fill the tank in the spring and can usually make it until mid November camping in the mid Atlantic.

This T had the hose end that matches the disposable gas bottles so it fit my Webber. Took ten minutes and two wrenches to install. A little soapy water to verify a fight seal and done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many versions available so you need to know what will fit the gas plumbing your coach has and what the grill you want to use requires. Very easy to order the wrong fittings so do a bit of homework.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used the t valve with my Coleman grill/griddle/cooktop for three years. I love it.
I'd check around, though, because the part is nowhere near $100, more like $15-20. It is also a pretty easy install that could be a DIY project if you have some decent competence with that kind of thing.
We have a 12' hose and use ours extensively. It really sips the LP gas so we don't have problems refilling the coach LP tank. At the Royal Coachman Resort in Nokomis FL where we spend the winter you can sign up for a refill and they bring the truck to you and fill up. I think that service is available at many of the seasonal RV parks. Many of the KOA and other larger RV parks have easy access to propane fills as well.

On a related topic, the rubber LP hoses are susceptible to rodent attacks. I had something chew through the hose this summer in Michigan one night. It was not easy to find someone who could make and install the replacement hose. I finally found a place in Traverse City MI and had him make two so I'd have a spare.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post

I can buy 3 little cans for $10 at Walmart or other places. To me it is not worth the hassle and expense to make the alteration. I also use the little bottles in my Mr. Buddy and they last a long time the way I use them.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
FIRE UP hit it dead on, I put one of these on mine and have been very pleased. Works great. Order on Amazon. Easy to install.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I like small the 5 or 10 lb LP tanks. Easy to tote around and store, and I can put the grill anywhere I want and not have a hose running over to the RV to trip over.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Well worth it for us.

If the weather is good the grill is my 1st choice for cooking.

On our coach the tee is plumbed over to the curb side and terminates into a female quick disconnect, I connect 12' of hose to that and set the grill on a small folding table.

No need to exchange bottles or find a place to store them.

My tee is downstream of the coach's regulator (LP side) so I removed the regulator from the Weber and added the appropriate fitting to the end of my hose to allow it to connect to the grill.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #14

on my llondon aire it had an extra vapor valve so i went to cenex and they made me a 40' hose that i leave hooked to valve and just roll up and put in beside tank...i also added the kit like on amazon but valve only and had hose made 30'. you dont want a regulater on your supply for grills and such and all my appliances for outside have them...i do have a tee that i took off my fifth wheel and you can have it if you paypal me shipping cost..jeff

Tags
propane