Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is samsung the best

I'm almost ready to trade out my never cold 1200 for a residential fridge thought I would purchase the Samsung 197 but was reading the reviews and most of the ratings were pretty poor. They all said that the fridge was very noisy or had troubles with the defroster. Could I please hear from a few of you who have one in your RV and let me know what you think about yours or if any other brand would work better. Just don't want to buy one and then be stuck with one I can't stand to travel with
thanks
Don
dpeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don.....There are a lot of Samsungs in service. I've only heard of one so far that wasn't working properly. Some friends of ours bought one for their motor home, but it didn't fit in the their slide. They placed it in the garage as a second house refer. They said they had issues with it cooling. They had it checked out, but are still having issues.

Even if the Samsung doesn't have the best rating, it's about the only one that is a direct replacement for the Norcold. First, it only needs five additional inches of height to fit. Second, it will work with a modified sine wave inverter.

Newer coaches that come with a residential refer are built to fit larger refers which give you more of a choice in what you buy. They also spec those coaches with a pure sine wave inverter.

When I was looking, similar refers to the Samsung all had deeper boxes that wouldn't work. You could find small 15 or less cubic foot refers, but they are usually very basic and unattractive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #3

I loved our first Norcold. Never let us down in 14 years. Norcold in the 13 Newmar. It's nothing but Norcold for us baby! none of that ricer crap for us!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #4

And to answer your question. Norcold is the best.Bar none
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #5

Installed the samsung in MH two weeks ago. cooling better than nevercold with amish cooling unit. very quiet and no problems
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeder View Post
I'm almost ready to trade out my never cold 1200 for a residential fridge thought I would purchase the Samsung 197 but was reading the reviews and most of the ratings were pretty poor. They all said that the fridge was very noisy or had troubles with the defroster. Could I please hear from a few of you who have one in your RV and let me know what you think about yours or if any other brand would work better. Just don't want to buy one and then be stuck with one I can't stand to travel with
thanks
Don
I've had my unit for three months now and have had temperatures in the mid 90's for the last two weeks. The unit is performing flawlessly. I just returned from 10 days at the beach boon docking and it ran perfectly on my modified sine wave inverter. Had to run genset about 4 hrs per day ( 2 am and 2 pm). The unit is quiet, makes plenty of ice, and draws little power. I'm very pleased. Oh, it also came in through the door!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post

Oh, it also came in through the door!
Through the door? Hmmm I wonder if you door is anything like mine on my 08 Revolution ?
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post

Through the door? Hmmm I wonder if you door is anything like mine on my 08 Revolution ?
Had to remove the frig doors and also removed the passenger seat. It slid on through with about one inch to spare. Caution....if your tv is mounted above the dash and is NOT a modern flat screen, it may protrude into the frig's entry path.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeder View Post
thanks
Don
2 weeks on our new install.

1. I never hear it.

2. It works great.

3. Get a Samsung tech to install a new drain clip (da61-06796a) and bimetal thermo (da47-10160h) before you have the refer installed. I got this done under warranty. Both items improve the defrost performance and avoid defrost drain tube freezing.

The only concern I have is the 2 vegetable drawers run a 2-3 degrees warmer than the rest of the refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Had to remove the frig doors and also removed the passenger seat. It slid on through with about one inch to spare. Caution....if your tv is mounted above the dash and is NOT a modern flat screen, it may protrude into the frig's entry path.
Thanks I am going to look into this it would be nice if it would fit through the door, I talked to a couple in Benson last year they did theirs that way. I think I will see if the Monaco door is wider then the Rev.
Thanks again
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

FYI - Samsung will honor the warranty if installed in an RV. I know Frigidaire (and, I think, others) will not. Plus, as mentioned, Samsung says it's ok to run on a MSW inverter while others say to use a PSW. Plug it in before you install it in the RV to make sure it's working. Guess how I know to do this???
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Also...

Mine fit through the door without taking the passenger seat out. They did have to remove a head banger TV though.

To do that they removed all doors for both the Norcold and the Samsung. BTW...as dancechick said...get it fired up early. I had mine dropped shipped from Home Depot to Bradd and Hall in Elkhart, IN a week in advance and they had it running for a few days (over a weekend) to verify it worked and also to inspect it for an shipping damage.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #13

Ten's of thousands of people get good service from their propane fridge. It's just a matter of miner adjustments most of the time if cooling is not satisfactory.

Sufficient information on how to improve the cooling capacity of that unit is within this forum.

However, for those that must have a new car because they have a dirty windshield, I say go for it!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
none of that ricer crap for us!
This isn't the place for racist comments. Keep them to yourself.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote