RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a Camera setup that will show right side Drive-Tag tires? Like a Docking Lt?

I'm wonder if anyone has seen (or has ideas) on how to install a camera on the right side of coach to show Drive-Tag axle tires and contact with ground.

My mirrors are fine for seeing if someone (car) is along side me, but I can't see the tires and where they are in relation to curb or obstacle.

The other day I was pulling the coach forward and to the right a few feet and managed to run over the front edge of my portable/folding entry step. I have also scrubbed a few curbs on sharp right turns.

So I'm thinking it would very helpful to have a "camera view" of the tires and adjacent area. Does anyone make an external camera that could be mounted like a Docking light?

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #2

I adjust my mirror so that I can see the tires. I can still see everything else as well.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Adjusting the mirror doesn't work for me. The Drive-Tag axle is so far away I cant see small details (like a curb or a forgotten entry step). I can see what I'm expected to see - people, cars, etc. - just not the tire contact patch area.

I'm thinking something like this camera - mounted on the body above rear tires might do the trick. This one is regularly $349 on sale for $49 now. Worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager Body Observation Camera.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	268990  
Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm kind of surprised that you can't see curbs and such in the mirrors, makes me wonder about your vision. No, that's not a snide remark, it's just that I got glasses a year or so ago, after just wearing readers, and it made a big difference in how clear things are in the mirrors. I can still pass the driver's eye exam without my glasses because my distance vision is fine, but things near me are much clearer with them.

As for your question, I would expect that camera would do what you want. My rig has side view cameras mounted in the mirrors that turn on whenever I turn on the appropriate camera whenever I turn on a turn signal. This displays in the same screen my rear view camera uses (replaces the rear view). It's a very nice clear picture of what's going on beside the coach. Most of the time I don't use that because the screen itself is too low in the dash, and because I've been driving with mirrors for the last 40-some years that I just don't THINK to use (or really need it).
But in any case, I expect that would do exactly what you're looking for.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post

As for your question, I would expect that camera would do what you want. My rig has side view cameras mounted in the mirrors that turn on whenever I turn on the appropriate camera whenever I turn on a turn signal. This displays in the same screen my rear view camera uses (replaces the rear view). It's a very nice clear picture of what's going on beside the coach. Most of the time I don't use that because the screen itself is too low in the dash, and because I've been driving with mirrors for the last 40-some years that I just don't THINK to use (or really need it).
But in any case, I expect that would do exactly what you're looking for.
My rig has the "side cameras" mounted below the mirrors too. Those are okay for seeing traffic but not good close up for seeing the area at the "tire-ground contact" area. Also my right side camera is kinda cloudy and the mirror (and camera lens) gets dirty too. I don't use the side camera for the same reason you stated. It's just faster/easier to look at the mirrors.

I'm going to install (or test) mounting a camera on above the Drive-Tag axles location (like a docking light) and see if that helps. If the camera is 8 or ten feet above the tires it may provide a good view.

On my last trip, I scuffed a boulder coming down the mountain from my campsite in NC. I should have had wife get out and help direct me around a tight turn (in hind sight) but a good camera view of those right side back tires would have been useful then.

If it doesn't help then I only out a the cost of the camera.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

My first thought is you're trying to help out in a turn situation. It's too late unless you're going to back up. I can see how it could help if you are by yourself I suppose. It's really just getting to know your rig in my book though.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on how fast your going - as to whether or not you can do anything if you see you're getting too close to curb or something.

If I'm traveling slowing around a campsite, or turning on some narrow residential street, being able to seeing the back tires and how close they are to the curb can help. Its helpful to see those tires when backing in to a site.

However I do use the DW to provide backing guidance. Not so much on the pulling out of the site, though.

Yes, you have to get a "feel" for where the back tires are. With a 24 foot wheel base, those back tires are waaayyy back there.

If the "camera mounted over the tires" idea works, I'll hook it up to my Aladdin monitor where the right side mirror camera connects to it now.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I agree camera view would be too late. Once you commit to a turn. Properly adjusted mirrors ( rv geeks have a video on this) should give you the best sight picture. If you canít see the side of your coach down by the tires they are not adjusted properly Practice in a open lot around a cone or mark on the pavement can give you a better sense of turning. Looking at a monitor screen not in your field of vision out the window is not a good idea.
Are you talking about backing into a site? I can see some possible Benefit to that but forward movement ... no.

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, tires