Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Good advice Steve!

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
When I put new tires on our coach in 2009, our Goodyear dealer recommended AGAINST using RV specific tires. He recommended certain truck tires because of their durability and popularity.

Last year, we had tire trouble on the road. We were very thankful to find ourselves in an excellent truck tire shop in the middle of the night. They stocked the complete selection of Bridgestone and Michelin truck tires.

Guess what? Our coach now rides on Bridgestone R280 steer tires!

It sounds great to consider a discussion about RV specific tires, but we learned that when push comes to shove, the people that are going to help us when we're broken down on the side of the road in the middle of the night are the truck shops.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Les Schwab is a western based tire dealer that offers a variety of tire brands, sizes, batteries, shocks, brakes and front end work. They service everything from the big rigs to sports cars. I gave them the weight of my coach and told them what I was looking for in the ride. They went into their computer and found what Toyo tire was recommended for my Pace Arrow and the pressure requirement. In and out with eight tires and a lube in a little over 90 minutes. I sat in my cab and called various RV parks for our upcoming trip and made reservations. They recommended shock replacement (which I knew was due) but since they didn't carry the shocks I wanted they referred me to another shop.

As well stated earlier RVs use truck tires. There may be a few RV specific, but I've always gone with truck tires and have always been pleased with the ride and the wear. Toyo's give me about 60,000 miles unless I hit a road hazard, or have some other unexpected issue. They also provide a pleasant ride without being mushy, or poor in the corners. Living in the Pacific NW rain is a huge issue. The tread design sheds water exceptionally well. RV tires are not cheap, but then who wants to trust their lives on a poorly made tire to save a few bucks. Nothing concerning my motorhome has ever been cheap so tires are not a huge sticker shock to me.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
GO Michelin tires for a RV ! The ride wil be smoother and they last for ever.
BTW , make sure that they were produced in 2015
I agree, when you put truck tires on a motorhome it will ride like a truck.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not believe there is any significant difference in "RV tires". And as someone noted, few tires are designated exclusively for RV use. Even the Michelin XRV is sold for many commercial applications in addition to RVs. The popular Michelins like the XZA and XZE are also "truck tires".

There are, however, differences in tire specs for different models. Some may be designed for long tread like (deeper tread and harder rubber), some to better resist scuffing and curb contact, etc. Tire manufacturers typically class RV usage as being similar to the "regional delivery" application or the OTR (Over-the-road) application. OTR is where the primary mode is sustained highway driving, while Regional is shorter distances with occasional city driving.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
I've read that truck tires are intended for primary use being in motion whereas RV tires are designed to accommodate being under weight in a stationary position for extended periods without compromising the tire.

Michelin XRVs do have a truck-centric cousin that my RV shop tried to get me into when stock was an issue. I refused based on that little bit of research and think I made the right call sticking with XRVs.

This is correct....which means they have a harder sidewall to be able to withstand those pressures of just sitting much better.

WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The short answer is yes, There is a differnce

The medium answer adds that the RV tires have a bit more "Give" in the side wall for a softer ride

The LONG answer says to get the proper tire for the load range.. AND proprly inflate it.

IF you can get an RV tire (I think XRVs are Load range "F") go for it.. IF you need something stronger.. Truck tires may be your only choice.

NOTE: That "F" may b the 19.5 not sure if it is also the 22.5 just looked at the price (Tire Rack has a good price).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote